power outages/

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I would like to know how you people handle power outages that go out and come right back on, i had this happen and the subs and summits made a loud thupping noise. Is there a way to avoid this happening again. I do not think i damaged them. Thanks

I power my gear from a PS Audio Premier Power Plant... the PPP operates in such a way as to avoid the thump effect.

I have a pair of BPT BP-3.5 Signature Plus Power Regenerators and never experience any issues with power outages.

Todd, did you read the post by Brian Walsh in another thread where he says that he and a customer found that the PPP degraded the sound?

Here in Southern California the power company loves to roll around the power several times a day, moving mass quantities from the suburbs to downtown LA and then outward again in waves. I use a Panamax 5102 line conditioner which has a battery backup inside.

I'm not even going to read your post now on this topic Bernard ;)

BTW, I only use the PPP for the souce components andf the CLX bias ckt... not the amps. Fortunately, the ModWrights shut down and do not come back on when there's either a variation in line voltage or even a sharp spike on the audio input.

Last edited:
Power Outages

I would like to know how you people handle power outages that go out and come right back on, i had this happen and the subs and summits made a loud thupping noise. Is there a way to avoid this happening again. I do not think i damaged them. Thanks

I love in the Sunny South, and especially during the summer, we have power "blinks" with some frequency. I have used power conditioners/surge protectors for some time. All of my equipment including Pass Labs XA-100.5 monoblocs is connected to Running Springs Audio Maxims and Dmitirs. Of the power conditioners I have heard, the RSAs contribute the least sonic signature to the sound and are bullet-proof. What you want to be sure of is that you have enough wattage in the power or line conditioners to handle your peripherals. If you get a significant surge when power returns you can fry the voice coils of your woofers or the power supply to your ESLs. It is a worthwhile investment in your system.

The other thing you can try is the PurePower power supplies. Basically it sorta behaves like an APS with line AC converted into DC and stored in the battery, then converted into a perfect AC sine wave and given to your electronics. So far my area has been struck by lightning with my circuit board tripping but my system still playing without a beat.
BTW I'm using the Purepower 2000, and have connected my system to it, including my Sanders ESL power amp.

Isn't your power company responsible if their actions damage your equipment? I would have thought it would be a given in the good ol' US of A! I know my power company will consider claims (don't know how many they actually pay though!).

Back