Please advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mikael

Hello,

As others here I’m too fascinated by Martin Logan sound and magic. For about a year ago I got a pair of high quality headphones and finally discovered how reproduced music should sound. Since then I’m looking for a pair of loudspeakers that could match, if not transcend, that sound. As others here I have been listening to many speakers from various vendors and shops, and in wide price range. None of these traditional pieces could live up to my expectations. Then, by coincidence at a local dealer, I discovered a pair of “strange” things with a fascinating price tag – Martin Logan Vantage. After a short listening session I knew that I found what I’ve been looking for. Perhaps not perfect but pretty close. Few days later, my wife and I had a longer listening session using our own music – still excellent sound. In another shop, I listened also to Martin Logan Vista which was very good too.

So, I borrowed Vantage plus few amplifiers and receivers from the shop, went home, placed out and connected the equipment in my room, and started to play music. It was a complete anticlimax. What I heard in my home was not the same thing as in the shop. The presence feeling and the 2-D magic was there but the sound was not the same. It was as if the bands and artists were playing in a can. I removed some large glass and metal objects from the room, covered parts of windows, glass doors and a mirror with thin curtains and even tried to move the speakers and my listening position around. Nothing helps, the “can” effect is still there.

If I feed output of a DAC (either standalone or built into an AV-receiver) directly to an amplifier (including the one that was used in the shop) then the sound is very dark and down damped – no high frequencies. If I use automatic audio room characteristics measurement and equalization in one of the receivers then I get much better sound, still in a can, so to speak. I can see that the automatic frequency adjustment lifts up the entire range from 1 kHz and up by 3 – 8 dB (in 5 bands). The 125 Hz band is also amplified by 4 dB and 63 Hz is damped by 2.5 dB, I would say that what I hear at home contains a lot less harmonics (over- and undertones) than what I heard in the shop.

Many vocal artists sound as if they had cold, drum beat is dry and not distinct, and simultaneous bass and saxophones are flat and not as “overwhelming” as they use to be.

I should say that I listen at high volume (some would say very high) and I live in a wooden house with plasterboard walls on the inside. Both the speakers and the amplifier are the very same that were used in the shop where they sounded fantastic well. The music source going through the same DAC sounds excellent in my headphones. Therefore I’m seeking for another explanation. What can be wrong?

Thanks/Mikael

Welcome, Mikael. As I read your post I am wondering if you have experimented with listening height or if you have played with speaker tilt. A similar problem in my room was greatly ameliorated with modest room treatment, namely room tunes corner pillows and along the front and side walls. Inexpensive and oh so effective.

The music source going through the same DAC sounds excellent in my headphones. Therefore I’m seeking for another explanation. What can be wrong?

Hi Michael, it's obvious: your room is wrong. And when I say room, I say also curtains, carpet, listening height and position, etc. And yet another factor: you say you listen quite loud - ML's are not 110+ dB loudspeakers. Their very nature do not allow them to press your lungs breathless. If you play them too loud, they will sound exactly as you describe: as a living lobster hissing from being thrown in boiling water. I don't see other factors changing from the HiFi shop to your home excepted room and dB level...

Many thanks for all the answers. You all are right; it must be the room/house. I didn’t realize it has such an enormous effect. Now I know.

I cannot do much with listening height. I’m sitting in my living room on an armchair or a couch and all the heights are more or less fixed. I noticed however that the sound, the timbre, and in particular the 2-D staging changes a lot when I lean forward. I could throw in some more pillows and curtains but there is a limit of what I can do in the room and still use it as a living room. Also, I’m not sure that additional damping will help much. Plasterboard in my walls is quite soft so it should not cause many reflections anyway. However there are a lot of cavities behind it and it moves (vibrates) easily. If I knock on it I hear a sound reminiscent of when knocking on an acoustic guitar, as compared to what I hear when knocking on concrete (in the shop buildings). Perhaps it’s the very construction principle of my house that is not up to the task.

I don’t know the exact dB volume level I use for listening. I don’t think it is 110 dB but it may be above 90 dB. However I used the same (high) level when listening in the shops with excellent results. In the Vista shop we went all the way until it was unbearable and the room itself started to disturb the clarity but the effect was loss of clarity, not this “can” sound. Perhaps high volume in combination with my room is the explanation.

Listening rooms in both shops (Vantage and Vista) are much larger than my living room. The “Vista” room was also very high as they are in old buildings. Both shops are located in large buildings of concrete. Both must in some way be isolated from the rest because people work and live sideways and above them.

One problem is that all this experimenting takes longer time than it is possible to have demo equipment from a shop. On the other hand I don’t want to purchase things at this price level without knowing that in the end I get what I want. Anyhow, I have to reevaluate my options.

Do you have any experience in using advanced audio processors for dynamic and level-dependent measurement and correcting room frequency response?

It's the room, definitely. Everything else is the same, aside from the room.

Also, you may want to experiment with toe in. I like aggressive toe in when it comes to the new MLs (Summit and Vantage). Try that.

As for room correction, I know of some people who use TacT audio gear which caters to those who want room correction built into their preamp and amp.

Joey

Back