Plasma vs LCD flatscreen - how to evaluate?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eknuds01

Reaction score
Fellas -

What do you look for in a flat screen? Do you prefer LCD or Plasma? In my opinion, the two technologies seem to getting closer to each other in terms of performance. Perhaps the biggest difference is that with a plasma you have a wider viewing angle. I think that may be important depending on how the living room furniture is arranged (are people sitting to the side?). Plasmas are supposed to have the darkest blacks but the last time I went looking at TVs I thought the LCDs did a pretty decent job in that category.

I can consult Consumer Reports for the reliability rankings.

I also know that the various Big Box stores love to sell the warranties. Are they worth it? It seems that if the TV goes a few months with no issues, there's a reasonable chance that you won't have any issues going forward (assuming regular use, no big power surges, etc).

In my house, I have DLP, Plasma, and LCD. I think the DLP presents the most natural picture, the plasma presents a great picture with great contrast, and the lcd presents the most vivid picture. Just like with speakers, pick your cup of tea. All these technology are good and are reliable these days.

There used to be distinct reasons that you might prefer one over the other, but as the technology has improved, LCD and plasma are virtually indistinguishable (I disagree with Hocky though, I think DLP is the worst of the three, but that might just be because it is generally only used for larger displays that are not going to look as good to start with).

One possible exception is that in the current generation of 3D TVs, plasmas tend to be better. There are some LCD ones that are pretty good, but there are also a number of LCD ones that are awful for 3D.

Just pick whichever TV seems the best to you, don't worry too much about whether it's LCD or Plasma.

As far as the warranty issue goes, flat panel TVs tend to be very reliable, so I wouldn't recommend buying a warranty. Plus, if the TV lasts 3 or 4 years before dying, if you're anything like me it would be a bittersweet experience... A bit of a financial loss, but an excuse to buy a new TV!

There have been some reports recently on these "extended" warrantee's. They are pretty much always a rip off. Most electronics these days go through some serious 6 Sigma based quality programs before they ever come to market. Once they are in production most bugs are completely sorted out with regards to Manufacturing PPM's. On the odd occasion where you may run into an issue it's usually going to be an infant mortality that would be covered by the manufacturers warrantee. I think your money would be better spent having the new set profesionally calibrated Eric.

There used to be distinct reasons that you might prefer one over the other, but as the technology has improved, LCD and plasma are virtually indistinguishable (I disagree with Hocky though, I think DLP is the worst of the three, but that might just be because it is generally only used for larger displays that are not going to look as good to start with).

One possible exception is that in the current generation of 3D TVs, plasmas tend to be better. There are some LCD ones that are pretty good, but there are also a number of LCD ones that are awful for 3D.

Just pick whichever TV seems the best to you, don't worry too much about whether it's LCD or Plasma.

As far as the warranty issue goes, flat panel TVs tend to be very reliable, so I wouldn't recommend buying a warranty. Plus, if the TV lasts 3 or 4 years before dying, if you're anything like me it would be a bittersweet experience... A bit of a financial loss, but an excuse to buy a new TV!

Well when buying a TV it all depends on what your looking for or plan on using it for. If the TV is going in a bright room (lots of windows) wouldn't recommend a plasma due to glare... LCD would be better in this case... If you play lots of games, LCD will be better... Plasma is prone to screen burn if you leave something for example paused to long on the TV. LED is the newest which is a nice comp. between LCD and plasma. LED is GREAT for dark rooms, but doesn't have as many source hook ups as LCD or plasma.

As far a warranties... All depends on who you buy from... I work for best buy and I can only say for what I have seen. These TVs are far from perfect and send out anywhere form 2 to 10 in a week for service or out to be recycled. Best buy has 4 year warranty plan were Geek Squad will come out to your house, take the old one, then give you a loaner while your TV is repaired or swapped out with a new one. Then they will bring back your fixed TV or new TV. The only finger you have to lift, it to call best buy. Best buy also allows you to re-new your warranty through 3rd party person, but i don't know much about that...

Well when buying a TV it all depends on what your looking for or plan on using it for. If the TV is going in a bright room (lots of windows) wouldn't recommend a plasma due to glare... LCD would be better in this case... If you play lots of games, LCD will be better... Plasma is prone to screen burn if you leave something for example paused to long on the TV. LED is the newest which is a nice comp. between LCD and plasma. LED is GREAT for dark rooms, but doesn't have as many source hook ups as LCD or plasma.

LED refers to the backlighting, not the screen itself. If a TV is LED, it is still an LCD TV (older LCD TVs used fluorescent backlighting instead, which consumed more power, was less even backlighting, and sometimes would make a buzzing noise). It is true though, if you are looking for an LCD TV, it is better to get an LED one. Plasma is susceptible to burn in, but newer plasmas are much less prone to it than older plasmas were. As far as glare, that also partially depends on the manufacturer. For instance, Samsung makes LCD TVs that have high gloss displays, so they will be just as prone to glare as plasma screens often are. By contrast, Sony tends to make matte display LCD TVs which would be better in bright light. I stand by my opinion that the specific TV is more important than than the screen technology it is using.

DLP, CRT and Plasma here......for great blacks and superb contrast I still love me CRT but Plasma, IMO, is the most cinematic, DLP unless high end (mines not) is **** poor,again, IMO, as far as blacks and contrast.

IMO, for the $$$ value it's pretty tough to beat Panasonic Plasma

Dave,

I will be buying soon (still have a CRT) and that's exactly where I'm headed.

Gordon

A lot will depend on what you intend to use the TV for an where/when you want view it. As has been said Plasmas have glass screens which reflect light like a mirror in bright light. They still tend to have the better image quality esp black level. The LCD's can be had with glossy screens as well which improves perceived contrast but at the expense of glare like the Plasma's. LCD's use less power, tend to weigh less and are getting much better with regard to black levels etc. LED TV's are just LCD with a different lighting technology...and these offer even closer image quality to the plasmas but are pricey.

There's no "right" answer really.

As far as warranties go they are pretty much pure profit for those selling them and are used to make up the very slim margins on electronics these days. They'll also push expensive HDMI cables etc for a similar reason...do your homework and research places like monoprice to maximize your dollar.

IMO, for the $$$ value it's pretty tough to beat Panasonic Plasma

I have that TV in a 42" I purchased this year for my Xbox 360. For the HT room I have the Mits 73" DLP w/120Hz refreash rate and 3d ready. Blacks are very black and the colors are so life like and bright. Very nice in 1080 thru FIOS!!!

Last edited:
Someone on this thread mentioned that the viewing environment is an important factor in TV technology selection - I agree to a point. I have Single-lens DLP projection, a couple of big Plasma screens, and numerous LCDs. (call me whacked). Anyway, without question, the best overall picture (to me) is from my Pioneer Elite Plasma. It's true that direct sunlight and glare can interfere with the picture, but that's why someone invented window treatment (shades/curtains) - for that very reason... setting aside any potential chronoligical inaccuracies in my assertion.

I have yet to see an LCD screen (LED backlit or not) that doesn't start to "lean gray" as soon as the viewing angle goes off axis. Some are better than others, but they all do it to some degree. I find this unacceptable for any serious viewing which is why I have plasma in our family room (and projection in the HT).

As also previously mentioned, Plasma has startlingly good contrast with excellent black levels. That said, they are less green (carbon footprint wise), throw out more heat, and are usually heavier than their LCD cousins... practical stuff to consider.

Ultimately though, as others have said, it's a lot like choosing an audio system... always go with what you perceive as the best presentation and weigh heavy with many grains of salt anyone trying to convince you that this is better than that.

Finally... if you REALLY want a wildly immersive a/v experience... you gotta go BIG and you gotta go 1080i/p. At least that's what Tony Stark told me in a rather disconcerting dream...

(pic from my HT - 2.35:1 screen 144" diag)

Good luck! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 150
Some more background:

I don't intend to use the TV for video games.

I like to watch sports, regular programming (news, weather, history channel) and the occassional DVD (all kinds - action, drama, etc).

My room has 4 sets of windows: Two windows are way up high (20+ ft in the air above the TV), another window is at ground level and I will get some blinds for that one. Lastly, there's a sliding glass door and I can get curtains/blinds for that as well. So I think I have the glare under control. The remaining X-factor are the windows way up - it's very dificult to treat them, but I don' think they will provide much glare. I don't see myself doing a whole lot of daytime TV viewing aside from the weekends.

I can check into the power consumption of the LCD vs Plasma. I don't think it's a deciding factor, but at the same time I don't want a monster electric bill.

Weight and TV thickness are likely non-issues. The TV will get it's own dedicated stand. There will be no wall mounting and the unit is not going into a entertainment center.

When I was at Best Buy I didn't feel like glare was a big issue with the Plasmas and that store has way more light than my living room. I know the lighting is important, and also deceiving, because LCDs and Plasmas perform differently depending on the amount of light (Plasmas like dark(er) rooms).

Thanks again for the wonderful feedback.

Erik

Next time I buy a flat screen (which will be a while I hope) I will bring (a) calibration DVD with me to the store. Most showrooms have their displays showing some sort of programming that works optimally with the display but the sad truth is once you get it home and play YOUR videos or movies, things are much different.
Bringing a calibration / test disc will show you:

• What kind of retailer you are dealing with. If they say no, you should too.
  • gray scale. WoW! A bazillion to one contrast ratio? My **s. Those pictures sure look crisp and high contrast, but that's the source material and its made to make the display look good. Those three gray bars (or however the test is rendered). Even without fiddling with the displays adjustments, will tell you if the display is set up right and if it can be. (you'll be surprised that the best rendering / best displays don't hit your eyes like a freight train headlamp.)
  • And so on with all the other test patterns.
I have never bought speakers without bringing some of my most familiar CD's and there's no reason to shop for a display without some industry standard reference material either.
And as an added bonus, you will see right off which technology is right for you.

Last edited:
Beakman is absolutely correct.

All TV's are set to the default settings, which are way too bright in a normal room. I assume this is done to sell TV's in a showroom environment.

Most folks will be drawn to the brightest picture, which is the game manufacturers play. Think elevated treble when one is auditioning speakers. Don't buy a monitor based solely on what you see in a showroom.

Best bet is to do some homework before going. The Perfect Vision, an on line magazine and sister publication of TAS, has some excellent reviews and information on how to buy an HD monitor.

GG

Have a RPTV (70" Sony LCOS) and really like it, I also have 2 42" Plasma's. Prefer them to LCD's, but that is my personal call. Both the plasma's are 720p (well, one is 768p) and one is current and the other is a 2nd gen plasma (so it is pretty old). Even the old one still looks great and I have been careful to prevent burn in. New ones have much less problem with that.

Late summer went through extensive side by side material tests of Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, LG, Mitz,

Looked repeatedly over a 2 month period at 3D vs 2D, both video and still photos, LCD, Plasma, LED, DLP, etc. on all of the above.

The Panasonic Plasma 3D HDTV was the clear winner and when you add that it is the only way to get AVATAR in 3D, well that makes it easy:D

The Panasonic TC-P50VT25 seems to be the current ticket. 3D / plasma with one set of glasses included. Incredible (KURO type) blacks, great color saturation, THX video setting, etc.

List $2,500. Can buy new over the internet for $1,800.

If I were to buy today, that would be the one.

GG

I have a Samsung 46" lcd in the bedroom and sold my Samsung 52" lcd and got the last Pioneer 60" Kuro plasma around. All were/have been professionally calibrated (big difference in picture quality - highly recommend!). The Samsungs have great pictures, but not on the level of the Pioneer. IMHO :D

Back