Plasma vs LCD flatscreen - how to evaluate?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would stay away - far, far, far away from Panasonic plasmas. Their tv's start our nice and black, but over time turn grey.

To that all I can say is mine is still perfect (42", 1 year old come Jan) and it cost me less than $500.

We have another Panasonic Plasma at the cigar shop in our lounge area that is on 8-12 hrs per day, 7 days per week, it's 5 going on 6 years old, looks great and when you consider the enviroment it's in that's saying something !!

I'd avoid Panasonic at the moment as well. Which is unfortunate as they are nice sets. My current recommendation to clients is to get the Samsung. Apparently the Vizio's aren't that bad either...esp if $$ is an issue

I would stay away - far, far, far away from Panasonic plasmas. Their tv's start our nice and black, but over time turn grey. This was verified by cnet. Panasonic now has a nice, big law suit on their hands. Needless to say, I bought a Samsung plasma, and it is gorgeous.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20014089-1.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1n

David,

I read the attachments. They did note a degradation of the black level but I didn't see anything that the black went to grey. That's pretty dramatic. Did I miss something?

Also, I wonder if it's a limited problem (year made / new technology introduced) or if it's systemic. Dave's comment seems to suggest the former.

Gordon

Last edited:
To that all I can say is mine is still perfect (42", 1 year old come Jan) and it cost me less than $500.

We have another Panasonic Plasma at the cigar shop in our lounge area that is on 8-12 hrs per day, 7 days per week, it's 5 going on 6 years old, looks great and when you consider the enviroment it's in that's saying something !!

I also have a Panasonic plasma purchased in December 2005 that still looks great and have had no issues!

David,

I read the attachments. They did note a degradation of the black level but I didn't see anything that the black went to grey. That's pretty dramatic. Did I miss something?

Also, I wonder if it's a limited problem (year made / new technology introduced) or if it's systemic. Dave's comment seems to suggest the former.

Gordon

Gordon, if you click on the other links in the cnet article, it takes you through some of the history. If you are really interested, you can spend hours reading about it in the AVS posts Andrew mentions.
The fact that cnet verified what AV zealots have been saying is a huge deal.

Yes, it is limited to the last few years and certain models. But who knows which ones? It seems like it's purposeful obsolescence to get people to buy TVs every 2 or 3 years. And who knows how fast the blacks will become grey, killling that beautiful picture? It is a real shame. I love the looks of the Panasonic, but this is ridiculous. So I bought a Samsung.

Best,
David

David,

Thanks for the follow up.

Absent a definitive answer from Panasonic (years, models, etc), which is unlikely to occur, it does give one room for pause.

Appreciate the heads up.

Gordon

Andrew,

Did a "quick" scan of the 10,000+ posts. Thanks for the link.

As I said to David, I have a much better understanding of why one may want to question the long term integrity of the Panasonic Plasma Black Levels.

I'm also glad that those members, who have posted and own Panasonic's plasma, are still happy with their monitor.

Gordon

Yeah, count me in the camp that has the Panasonic TC-P50 VT25 which I use in the upstairs HT, black levels are still killer and the 3D images are without peer and I tested side by side with all the major brands. The Panasonic plasma is the clear 3D winner right now. The 2D PQ has been consistently rated as the best by a significant margin as well.

The new Sony VW90 ES may change all that, but then we would be talking projectors.:D

Not saying that the Panasonic won't go gray someday, but I guess I am unwilling to watch the other brands in 3D because of ghosting and other artifacts. This may or may not be important to the OP.

I also have a 60 inch LG Plasma that is very nice for 2D and one of the advantages that Plasma has over LCD and LED is with fast action subject movement like sports and action movies.

I also have about 2 dozen LCDs and they are fine for casual viewing and viewing in bright rooms where glare would be problem.

Myself and most of the guys I hang with have either Plasmas or Projectors in thier HTs, but then glare is not an issue in a HT, so as has been said before, it really depends on what, where, how, and when you are viewing to make a determination of what is best for you.

One thing for sure, make sure you check out 3D while you are at it. If for no other reason, the new 3D cameras make 3D worth it by themselves. 2D is okay, kind of like stereo, but 3D is an experience all by itself. I no longer take any 2D picutres or videos, 3D is just that good:D

I just read an article where the magazine tested the grey/black level issue on a new Panasonic plasma. Bottom line, the one they tested had no problem. Doesn't, of course, speak to every model, but they said it appears Panasonic has fixed any problem.

Back