LCD vs Plasma

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with Hauger92. Plasma is tops when it comes to picture quality. It destroys LCD with respect to color, contrast, and blurring. LCD is terrible with shades of black. LCD is at its best when viewing static pictures or travel programs; Plasma is much better for sports and movies. If you want to see what plasma can do check out Pioneer Elite, Fujitsu, or Runco. Nothing comes close.

Fujitsu are getting out of Plasma, aren't they?

+1 on the recommendations for Pioneer Kuro plasmas.

I just finished shopping for a 50" display to replace the Loft systems 36" XBR CRT.

I went with a Pioneer 5080 Kuro plasma two weeks ago. No regrets, absolutely stunning picture, and it’s in a room that has quite a bit of light during the day. And the plasma outperforms the CRT. The screen of the Pioneer is a light sink compared to the highly reflective CRT glass, so that was a big advantage.

At night, the Plasma is just flat amazing.

Yes Fujitsu is getting out of the plasma display business. It is a matter of business for them. They stated the price point of plasma TV's has eroded to a point where it is just not profitable for them to make plasma TV's. :(

Jeff:cool:

Yes Fujitsu is getting out of the plasma display business. It is a matter of business for them. They stated the price point of plasma TV's has eroded to a point where it is just not profitable for them to make plasma TV's. :(

Jeff:cool:

In other words, "we can't rip off consumers any more by charging 1800% markup on what our products are actually worth!".

I was under the impresstion there were STILL pretty healthy margins on plasmas.

Heck - it was more than 1800% wasn't it? I am just remembering 5-7 years ago - some of those Fujitsu plasmas were $AUD 30,000-50,000!

Replace your CRT with a good LCD and you won't need that stronger pair of glasses just yet. Don't know about plasmas. Do they make affordable 1080p plasmas yet?

Yeah they do. Plasmas and LCDs are are about the same price at any given resolution now.

Well the timing might be right...my Mits Diamond DLP took a crap today. Probably just the lamp, but it has another issue I need to have looked at....but I feel the upgrade bug coming on. Its unfortunate that the 2 flat panels that are on my wishlist are lots of $$ (Pio. Elite 60" and Runco XP60DHD)......but they are the only 2 big enough and good enough for me. :).....I would do a front proj. setup, but its not my house and I dont feel like going through the effort on a rental. :)

Maybe I will get a smaller LCD (50"?) for now and move it to the bedroom when I move into a house and do a nicer display...choices choices....ON the other hand, I got to move my Loewe into the living room and it looks just as great out there...IU just had to move it closer to the couch. :p

Latest posts

Back