Outlaw 2200 mono amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been my experience that CLSs sound best with the finest resolving equipment feeding them. Watts are a plus, far after resolution.
Iv'e run 35WPC tube amps and they sounded great.

Vince

I did a A/B between the Aleph 2's and the Outlaws and the Outlaws lose about 5-10% of the the fine resolution of the Alephs.
The Outlaws sound a little strained playing loud music as well.
I listened to the Outlaws first and found them quite enjoyable and very dynamic. Switching to the Alephs gave more resolution between individual instruments and less strain right off the bat.
So far I find the Outlaws a very good buy for the money. At one tenth the cost of the Alephs, they stack up very well.
I'll break in the outlaws and do another review in a few weeks.

vince

I think if you were to do a serious side-by-side comparison of the Outlaw monoblocs with other high-end amps that are better designed for electrostatic speakers than your Alephs (such as the Pass Labs X-350.5, Plinius, Krell, etc.) you would find the Outlaws sorely lacking. I know I have compared them on my Ascents with my CJ, Pass Labs, Sanders, and Sunfire amps and there is just no comparison. The Outlaw amps simply do not have the power, dynamics, clarity in the highs, and imaging and soundstaging abilities of these other amps. They sound constricted, rolled-off, and grainy in comparison.

I do agree that the Outlaws are a great bang-for-the-buck amp for low-fi systems or surround sound duty or even woofer duty in a bi-amp configuration. But I think you are fooling yourself if you think they will substitute for a true high-end amplifier on a highly-resolving system. I expect the more you listen to them and compare them to other more-capable amplifiers, the more you will realize their limitations.

Do you think the Aleph 2s are lacking something driving CLS loudspeakers? I really can't imagine that being the case.
I am of the belief that what you get for ten times the money (in your high end amp of choice) is an extra 10-20% more resolution and less strain and that's all. Of course one brand may lean warm and one cool but other than that...
If you believe other wise, take the time and do a double blind listening test. I understand it can be very embarrassing.

Vince

Do you think the Aleph 2s are lacking something driving CLS loudspeakers? I really can't imagine that being the case.

Yes, I do. The Aleph 2's are a great amp with a sensitive speaker, but I don't think they will sound their best or do complete justice to a difficult speaker like the CLS. They lack a little on the power side and have poor distortion measurements, especially at 4 ohms and below.

The Aleph 2 lacks the pull circuitry of the Aleph 1, which allowed that amp to deliver high current into a low impedance load. Thus, the Aleph 2 does not allow for more power below four ohms. It is stable into lower impedance (even a dead short), but it will not increase the power output below four ohms, resulting in rolled off highs on an electrostatic speaker.

I am of the belief that what you get for ten times the money (in your high end amp of choice) is an extra 10-20% more resolution and less strain and that's all. Of course one brand may lean warm and one cool but other than that...

And again, I respectfully disagree. It is my opinion that either you don't know what your speakers are capable of or your room acoustics or other aspects of your system are inadequate and do not provide the resolving power to allow you to hear the differences between these amps. Your speakers, if functioning correctly, most certainly do have this resolving power. But they are limited by your upstream components and your room acoustics and your own ears.

Again, I think you are just fooling yourself to think that the Outlaw monoblocs rival your Aleph, much less another high-end amp that is designed to handle an electrostatic load. Yes, it puts out sound. But that alone does not get it 80% of the way there.

The Outlaw monoblocs are not designed to handle the loads of electrostatic speakers. They are not a high-current design. They do not double down their output with a halving of impedance. They do not have a simple, high-end circuit design nor do they use audiophile-grade parts. They skimp in quality in order to be compact, convenient and inexpensive.

You may not personally be able to hear the difference in sound quality that these shortcuts make, but I assure you that I can and I honestly believe that any serious music lover with a capable system can.

If you believe other wise, take the time and do a double blind listening test. I understand it can be very embarrassing.

I have done just this, using the amps I described above. The differences were not subtle.

I also would note that while double blind testing can be useful, it has its own limitations. Some things (like the insidious effects of distortion, for example) are not necessarily noticed immediately while switching back and forth between amplifiers, but become noticeably aggravating over a longer term of listening. This is why some folks are so happy immediately after they upgrade a component, but then often after a few weeks or months of listening to it, become dissatisfied with the sound.

If you are happy with the Outlaw monoblocs driving your CLS, then more power to you (no pun intended). But I promise you that with this configuration you are not getting anywhere near 80% of the performance of those speakers. You are just fooling yourself to think that you are. But then, if you don't know what you are missing, what does it matter? Enjoy the Outlaws.

Even though I may not live in the high end high power solid state camp, that is a nice reply, Rich:)

Back