Our "other" Hobbies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since most of us seem to be into photography here's my contribution to the thread. Maui sunset in July 2006.;)

mauihawiiaug2006074jp8.jpg

Last edited:
i see were into Sunsets, nice shot Statman. This one was taken along the Oregon coast, Sept 2006

Attachments

• IMG_7110.JPG
    IMG_7110.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 111
Where is that sunset/sunrise and ship picture image taken from?

Did you take the picture yourself?

Beautiful, just beautiful.

the sunset picture was from the cayman islands... used Nikon D100 @ 120mm (180mm equivalent) for that one...got lucky with the boat because he was pretty far on the horizon and was passing by at the right time.

the other one is a C-17 taking off from a small airport in Columbia taking out of the back on my plane with same camera.

the third picture is in kyrgystan - it is an Anotonov An-2. there are a bunch of them sitting around in a boneyard with other russian planes and copters.

this last one is over the mountains in central asia...using a 12mm (18 mm equiv) on that shot i think.

Attachments

• DSC_0571SMALLweb.JPG
    DSC_0571SMALLweb.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 105
Bobgoat,

Beautiful shots I love the aerial mountain shot. I'm starting to use my 10-22mm a lot more for pictures, I've alwys liked wide angle shots! The Canon 30D is what I've been using.

Twich,

Nice photo where exactly was that taken? It sort of reminds me of the old Cardas cable brochure photo but much nicer because of the sunset.

Last edited:
Incredible Aerial Shots! Wow!!!

TheBobGoat,

Geepers Bob... :D Incredible detail on that shot over Central Asia... Simply Amazing... :D

How about these:

Attachments

• TheSkysTheLimit.jpg
    TheSkysTheLimit.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 181
  • Staying Ahead Of The Weather.jpg
    Staying Ahead Of The Weather.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 189
Beautiful... Simply Goregous...

Statmen,

Breathtakingly Beautiful! :D My favorite is the last one of the Palm trees with those wonderful cotton candy clouds above. I Love it! :D :D

Since there are you photographers here. I am looking to buy a Canon 5D. Anyone have any input or one for sale?

Since there are you photographers here. I am looking to buy a Canon 5D. Anyone have any input or one for sale?

If you are coming from a 35mm background and have never used digital then I'd say buy one you won't notice the difference if you compare the film camera to digital. The 5D is "full frame" which I'm sure you already know? Meaning your image will be similar to film. My 30D has a conversion/crop factor of 1.6 which changes the cropping factor slightly. Say for instance a 10mm lens now has been converted to around 25mm if I remember correctly. Just makes your shot a little tighter depending on what length lens you are using. Don't get caught up in the more megapixels game that manufacturers are touting. Spend the money on lenses, that's where you'll see the improvement.For me the 30D is working just fine. I was set to buy a 5D then changed my mind and then wanted an EOS Mark II 1DN but couldn't justify the fact that I'd never use the camera enough to really pay for it! That and the fact that I just bought a used pair Wilson Sophias on Thursday to replace my Sequel II's for the rear channel speakers in my system. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes, it all makes sense to me. I, like you, have my mind set on the 5D. Similar feelings of ML. Now everyone understands. I'm probably crazy for wanting to get it but.....

JTW, Statman makes a good point, people tend to get a little carried away with the "megapixel race", once you have reached 8 or more it's pretty much a mute point. Far more important is Sensor design and construction, for it's there that higher ISO's still are able to produce quality pics with less noise (translation to film jargon....less grain) and quality glass is huge.
When you can afford it , treat yourself to an "L" series lens, you won't regret it !

FYI, in case you haven't checked it out www.dpreview.com , good site to puruse.

JTW, Statman makes a good point, people tend to get a little carried away with the "megapixel race", once you have reached 8 or more it's pretty much a mute point. Far more important is Sensor design and construction, for it's there that higher ISO's still are able to produce quality pics with less noise (translation to film jargon....less grain) and quality glass is huge.
When you can afford it , treat yourself to an "L" series lens, you won't regret it !

FYI, in case you haven't checked it out www.dpreview.com , good site to puruse.

The L series lenses are what got me in going this year after borrowing one and shooting with it.Superior optics with smooth and extremely fast focusing capabilities.:D

B]Twich,[/B]
Nice photo where exactly was that taken? It sort of reminds me of the old Cardas cable brochure photo but much nicer because of the sunset.

Hi Statman, sorry for the late reply !! the sunset was at "Bullards Beach" State Park , just south of Coos Bay, Ore.

Below is from this past fall on the Co / New Mexico Border. As I stated in the start of this thread I have a love for steam and with that being said , next to the sweet sound of my Logan's it's pretty tough to beat the "stack talk" that this 2-8-2 Mikado is singing as she works the grade up to Windy Point. The ruling grade out of Chama is over 4% !!

Attachments

• OJ2E7318.JPG
    OJ2E7318.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 121
My other Hobby was cars and driving fast. Some trouble with the law about 6 years back and I thought it was time to find a new hobby.

Some cars I have owned.

1) Fiero GT
2) Dodge Daytona Shelby
3) Dodge Shelby Charger
4) 96 Mustang GT
5) Eagle Talon TSi
6) 96 Mustang SVT Cobra
7) 99 SVT Contour
8) 98 Jaguar Xk8 (The coolest car I have ever owned should have kept it)
9) Audi A6 4.2
10) Volvo S60R ( Driving a Volvo now :confused: )

Attachments

• 2cars.jpg
    2cars.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 121
  • MVC-696F.JPG
    MVC-696F.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 115
  • MVC-698F.JPG
    MVC-698F.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 122
The Pic below is of our Pocono Northern RR, with over a 1000' of track, that's one of my live steam engines, a two cyl "Shay". It's a model of a gear driven locomotive that was used primarily in the logging industry during the first half of the twentith century.

Cool hobby Twich. I had no idea model trains had come this far with live steam. I saw a really cool train set-up at the Childrens Hospital in Dallas, TX. Supposedly, it rates up there as one of the bigger setups.

Back