Our "other" Hobbies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is SOOO funny! I guess those people were so pretentious that they could not even DREAM of going anywhere other than the dealership for service on the F-car! That is rich!
:D
And once in awhile a 400i could be spied in the Supershops parking lot while the owner ran inside to buy a $30.00 B&M shift kit, so the car could actually bark the tires into Second! Wonder how they found that out.......;) :rolleyes:

The U.S. market 400i had a GM Turbo 400 transmission. The real irony is that the 400i made WAY more horsepower than anything GM themselves sold, at the time. It was the only automatic trans available in the world that could hold up to the 400i's torque and horsepower.

Now....Now , be carefull there are some "bowitie" boys out here !! and Horsepower is a factor of torque, that's where the needed strength comes into play ! Besides I doubt very much if it had more torque than below and it's mated to a Turbo 400 ! , albeit highly modified !!

Attachments

• PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 179
Did you at least tell them you were with Mulder and Skully?:p
Of course, and that's not me getting back into my car after a fully armed Hummer came up on the hill to my right telling us to leave through a PA. My buddies and I had a beer right there by the "No Tresspassing - Restricted Area" sign. It also says "Use of Deadly Force Authorized". We were going to leave a few beers for the guys in the Hummer but thought better of it. Didn't want to turn up "missing".

My other toy's include:

Tony Hawk Birdhouse Skateboard. I can be found cruizing the bowls at the Scotts Valley Skateboard Park. http://www.caliskatz.com/v4/skateparks/scotts_valley_skatepark.asp

A Custom X Bodyboard. Maybe you can see me on this cam: http://www.surfline.com/reports/report.cfm?id=4188

A Diamondback VLink 3.1 Mountain Bike. Favorite place to ride is just out my back door: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...ifornia-bayarea/trail/PRD_165355_4519crx.aspx

K2 TNT Skis. Still like to rip around on my old 210's. Have my eye on a new pair of K2 Seth Vicious skis. Favorite hang: Squawly Wood.

I have a 95 Land Cruizer to get me we I need to get to. Fast cars equal tickets for me.

Now....Now , be carefull there are some "bowitie" boys out here !! and Horsepower is a factor of torque, that's where the needed strength comes into play ! Besides I doubt very much if it had more torque than below and it's mated to a Turbo 400 ! , albeit highly modified !!
The big-block Chevy truck engines back then made a scalp-lifting 210 horspower. But I think your example makes a little more than that!
I'm a Pontiac man myself. '76 Trans Am. '71 455 H.O. short-block with the car's original heads, for emissions purposes, but it had the bigger valves; 2.11 intake, 1.77 exhaust. And a factory 068 cam, which was smog-legal. The bottom end wasn't, but you couldn't tell; it looked exactly the same as the original 400. That motor was all about torque, so the small heads and factory intake & Quadrajet were all it needed. 450 lb-ft of torque, baby!:rocker:
And by the way, torque is a factor of displacement & compression ratio as well. How do I know this? Pontiac people are always smarter than Chevy people.:eek: :haha1:
Unfortunately for me & the T.A., in 1997 an idiot doing 50 mph down a residential street, while she was trying to retrieve her purse off the floor, ran into the back of it. The left rear corner of the car was wrapped up and over the fender.
I miss that car....... *sigh*

Impiera ~ Takamine ~ Gibson

Robin,

What kind of guitar do you play? Brand that is. I am looking for a Wayne Henderson. I finally found one called and it was sold. Hmm. That's the way it always goes.
jtwrace,

:guitar: My classical guitar is an Impiera, purchased in 1976. My Acoustic is an Takamine - Jasmine Dreadnaught acoustic with elecric capabilities, purchased in about 1985. My electric is an Gibson Les Paul - Studio Lite, in electric blue, purchased in about 1993. They are all excellent guitars and have served me so very, very well. :)

Attachments

• Impeira Classical Guitar.jpg
    Impeira Classical Guitar.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Takamine Jasmine Dreadnought Acoustic Electric Guitar.jpg
    Takamine Jasmine Dreadnought Acoustic Electric Guitar.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Gibson - Les Paul Studio Lite.jpg
    Gibson - Les Paul Studio Lite.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
The big-block Chevy truck engines back then made a scalp-lifting 210 horspower. But I think your example makes a little more than that!
QUOTE]

Ross, sorry to hear about your T/A, I too had a '76, complete with the "Flamm'in Chicken" on the hood ! Yes my "Monte" made 720 Hp on the dyno with about 650 or so of that finding its way to the rear tires. Thats one of the trade-offs of a Turbo 400 over a 350, you loose an additional 20-30 hp in the trans. Compression was not exotic 12:1, but everything else was, the only thing Chevy on it was the LS-6 block. I campaigned the car for four years , it was deadly consistent, the driver wasn't worth a crap on the tree though ! With good air she ran 10.20's @131 plus mph.

Robin,

What kind of guitar do you play? Brand that is. I am looking for a Wayne Henderson. I finally found one called and it was sold. Hmm. That's the way it always goes.

Have you ever played a Collings? Made here in Austin, TX...VERY impressive!
I have an OM-1. I met Bill (Collings) through the local Porsche club...really nice guy!

Ross, sorry to hear about your T/A, I too had a '76, complete with the "Flamm'in Chicken" on the hood !
Mine was white with a blue interior. The '76 was the heaviest of all the Gen II T/As; 4100 lbs. Still, it was a nice car. I'm starting to consider a '74 T/A which I think is the best looking of all of 'em. Yeah... Butler crate motor...520 cu. in., Edelbrock heads, fuel injection.... about 600 horsepower.... Nash 6 speed trans.... Baer big brake kit.... (needs 18" wheels to clear).... I could go on but it's costing a lot of money just thinking about it!:rolleyes:

jtwrace,

:guitar: My classical guitar is an Impiera, purchased in 1976. My Acoustic is an Takamine - Jasmine Dreadnaught acoustic with elecric capabilities, purchased in about 1985. My electric is an Gibson Les Paul - Studio Lite, in electric blue, purchased in about 1993. They are all excellent guitars and have served me so very, very well. :)

Robin,

Nice stuff, but you are due for YOUR OWN guitar! You need to call my buddy Kevin at Abyss and have him get one going for you! Go on, you deserve it! :D

Robin,

Beautiful guitars. Amazing instruments.

Porsche guy 928-is kevin really a friend? Is there any ML club disoucnts?:eek:

Is he into home audio? Maybe I will help him out with that then....

Abyss Guitars...

Robin,

Nice stuff, but you are due for YOUR OWN guitar! You need to call my buddy Kevin at Abyss and have him get one going for you! Go on, you deserve it! :D
James,

I will someday soon... Kevin Pederson has a real creative gift, without question. :D In fact I think he should re-name his company to "Amazing Guitars"...:D

I have big audio "Joeyitis" dreams. So..., I'll have to see. I really have been saving hard to up-grade and add a music only system. Having said that, I would love to purchase a new guitar especially one custom made by Kevin.
Maybe I will get a another pay raise, that would be a nice Christmas gift...

Your race cars look really cool... I hope you are very safe when driving very fast. Your wife's stomach must do summersaults watching you at the race track... :D

Attachments

• Tortis on Wheels.jpg
    Tortis on Wheels.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 160
Mine was white with a blue interior. The '76 was the heaviest of all the Gen II T/As; 4100 lbs. Still, it was a nice car. I'm starting to consider a '74 T/A which I think is the best looking of all of 'em. Yeah... Butler crate motor...520 cu. in., Edelbrock heads, fuel injection.... about 600 horsepower.... Nash 6 speed trans.... Baer big brake kit.... (needs 18" wheels to clear).... I could go on but it's costing a lot of money just thinking about it!:rolleyes:

I know your a "Poncho" guy but that means you also know that one of the main problems with Pontiac (outside of their less than stellar oiling system) is aftermarket heads. The aftermarket availability for Chevy heads is like none other, that's part of the reason why HP per dollar spent, NOTHING touches Chevy !!! There is a reason why NOBODY is even close to the # of wins that Chevy has in Sportsman competition on the NHRA circuit.

I love it when the Ford camp starts beating their Chest, when was the last time they made a naturaly asspirated engine that competed with GM............... before most of the members of this Forum were born !!!!

Last edited:
Robin,

Beautiful guitars. Amazing instruments.

Porsche guy 928-is kevin really a friend? Is there any ML club disoucnts?:eek:

Is he into home audio? Maybe I will help him out with that then....

Kevin Pederson, or Bill Collings? Both own guitar companies and both have built me guitars. I know Kevin better than Bill, but yea, they are both friends. Not sure that either are much into audio other than their guitars. I don't "hang" w/ either of them (Kevin is about 1100 miles away after all), but I call both friends.

James,

I will someday soon... Kevin Pederson has a real creative gift, without question. :D In fact I think he should re-name his company to "Amazing Guitars"...:D

I have big audio "Joeyitis" dreams. So..., I'll have to see. I really have been saving hard to up-grade and add a music only system. Having said that, I would love to purchase a new guitar especially one custom made by Kevin.
Maybe I will get a another pay raise, that would be a nice Christmas gift...

Your race cars look really cool... I hope you are very safe when driving very fast. Your wife's stomach must do summersaults watching you at the race track... :D

She does not usually go to the track with me. I am usually alone (well, I hook up w/ tons of friends out there, but I am usually alone in the motorhome). She is very busy w/ her stuff and me with mine. It is cool, we will probably be together forever because we don't hang out w/ each other so much we get on the others nerves! LOL!

I understand Joeyitis all to well! Someday Kevin will build you something really cool!

Yes, the race car is fun to drive and watching them is usually harder than being in them driving them.

I know your a "Poncho" guy but that means you also know that one of the main problems with Pontiac (outside of their less than stellar oiling system) is aftermarket heads.
Yeah, there's only two aftermarket head sources for the Poncho; Edelbrock and the other I don't recall the name of, but their head is essentially a copy of a factory round-port Ram Air design, done in aluminum. Their design brings along the problems inherent in the Ram Air heads, the most notable of which is the floor of the exhaust ports is too low and creates a restriction because of turbulence. If you look at an Edelbrock Pontiac head, the exhaust ports are flat at the bottom, and they way outflow any factory head.
The oiling system isn't the best, but with a little tweaking, they're generally okay. Trick is to use a Super Duty oil pump driveshaft, and use a high flow, low pressure oil pump. The one thing that really bugs me about the Pontiac block is the open lifter galley on the non Super Duty blocks. That really restricts the choice of cams, because a really hot cam can break the lifter bores out of the block. The Butler aftermarket block is very heavily webbed in that area.
Oh, man, I'm feeling a '74 T/A conniption coming on!:rolleyes:

wow, i havent posted in a while - been busy with work and school and also, i have a new dog that I have been training and spending most of my time with. It is taking a ton of work. So here are my hobbies...number one would be photography. I try to make a point of taking at least one picture every time i travel..here are some from three continents

Attachments

• DSC_1421SMALLweb.JPG
    DSC_1421SMALLweb.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 952
  • DSC_1465SMALLweb.JPG
    DSC_1465SMALLweb.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_1151SMALLweb.JPG
    DSC_1151SMALLweb.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 129
Where is that sunset/sunrise and ship picture image taken from?

Did you take the picture yourself?

Beautiful, just beautiful.

excellent work! Where are the locations? Type/model camera?

Latest posts

Back