Opinions on Cardas Golden Ref Power Cords With MLs ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
My SL3-based system is wired almost exclusively with Cardas Neutral Reference cables, and I was wondering if I would hear an improvement replacing the stock power cords on the SL3s with Cardas Golden Reference power cords - I noticed some on sale on Audiogon. Opinions?

Isn't the power cord on an SL3 used only to charge the stat panel? If so, I can't imagine an upgraded power cord making any real difference in the sound of the speaker. Put another way . . . for the cost of those power cords, I imagine there are other areas of your system or room that could be upgraded that would make a much larger difference in the sound quality.

Just my .02 worth.

Isn't the power cord on an SL3 used only to charge the stat panel? If so, I can't imagine an upgraded power cord making any real difference in the sound of the speaker.
I ran Volex and stock cords on my ML's and tried out some Signal Cable PC as they are cheap. I was like you and thought there would be no difference, but there was. Would I pay extravagant amounts on difference PC's, probably not as I compared the Signal PC to a PS Audio Lab II ($70 vs $400) and found them to be practicallyl identical - not only with speakers but also on other components.

I cannot comment on the Cardas cables but I did notice an improvement using upgraded cables on my prodigy's A very quiet background and also in the spacial image. If you are enjoying your Cardas cables I would say go for them.

Last edited:
I was hoping for some opinions, but none so far.

:confused:

Actually, I gave you my opinion that an upgraded power cord would not make much difference and Dan gave you his opinion that it might, but that the difference may not be worth the cost of an expensive cord. If you are looking for opinions by owners of this particular power cord who have used them on ML's, you may be disappointed as I really don't think that many people on this forum have upgraded the stock power cords on their speakers. Good luck with it.

........... If you are looking for opinions by owners of this particular power cord who have used them on ML's ...........
Sorry for the confusion, but that is what I was looking for - ML owners who have "upgraded" to Cardas. Thanks for your response.

Actually, I gave you my opinion that an upgraded power cord would not make much difference and Dan gave you his opinion that it might,
Mine did improve with changing from stock to Signal Cable PC's. What type of change would be with Cardas is hard to say as it will be different in every setup and each piece of equipment.

Mine likewise improved in going from a stock power cord to a Synergistic Research Master Coupler. I do not have any experience specifically with Cardas cables in my system.

Sorry for the confusion, but that is what I was looking for - ML owners who have "upgraded" to Cardas. Thanks for your response.

No problem, I figured that's what you meant. If you do spring for the Cardas cords, please update this thread and let us know what your experience is. So far it sounds like at least three members have heard an improvement in sound from upgraded power cords on their Logans.

I have experimented with aftermarket power cords on both Aeons and my Summits. I thought it made a difference on both, but much greater difference on the Summits. I currently use ESP Essence cords on my Summits and power cords supplied with a pair of Rowland monoblock amps for my Aeons. Better than the stock cords but not as expensive as aftermarket cords. I use Cardas interconnects in the video system which contains the Aeons to good effect. If you like their interconnects and speaker cables you will probably like their powercords too as the one I did try in my system had the same "house" sound. It was Golden Cross.

I also use ESP Essence "reference" power cords on my Summits,
plugged into a Running Springs Jaco and they defninitely sound a little
less grainy.

I have the ESP cords in one of my two systems with great results
as well....

An expensive tweek, but worth it. When I go back to the stock pwr
cords I really notice it.

Michael Griffin at ESP is a great guy that I've known for a while.
Give him a call at 248-375-2655....

I would skip the cardas pc cord and either go for Foundation Research LC1's or the Blue Circle BC 68 powercord. Both of these cords have a power conditioner built right in at about the half way point on the cord and will really make a huge difference over just a normal aftermarket pc.

I run the Foundation Research cords which made an incredible difference on my ML Odessey's. The ML dealer I bought my Oddessey's from said the Foundation Research LC 1's are the ticket with logans, I can't dispute it.I replaced the stock fuses in the Lc 1 conditioner with Isoclean fuses as well. Cord lenght is around 7 feet which includes the conditioner box in the center.

As said, the BC 68 cord is similar and I have heard it on logans as well, it does a great job as well. Gilbert, owner of Blue Circle made this cord especilly for ML speakers.I run Cardas bi wire golden cross for speaker cables.You can view the Bc 68 cord at www.bluecircle.com It is $395 US each cord

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have not yet decided what I will do. Before the power cord upgrade I may well upgrade the capacitors in my SL3s to Black Gates (where I can) as I have had phenomenal results doing so in my DAC.

Back