Opinions on Beemers and similar (cars)?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh cool, an "elitest" snob who doesn't "know anything about cars". I'm aspiring to greatness.

:bowdown:

When I get a garage, my goal is to build one of these so I can be a poser too...

I went through tires on my M3 every 10k miles tops. Oh yeah the wheels were staggered so I could not rotate them. Oh the tires were only like $850 a piece.

bragging or complaining !!! ?????

I'm reading all this car stuff...... what's a real drivers car, bang for the buck, etc.

All I know is my "little-o' Honda S2000 has no trouble kicking a Boxter or Z-4's butt any day of the week. Now keep in mind I'm not talking the "S" or "M" versions.

The STi especially, is a fantastic car if you want bang for the buck. As mentioned here it doesn't have the refinement of the German stuff, but if you just want a hot rod that is completely dependable, they are way cool!

My good freind that manages Jerry Seinfeld's fleet of about 125 Porsches (on any given day) who has 8 Porsches of his own has an STi and loves it. In the hands of an experienced driver, it can embarrass a lot of 150 thousand dollar cars on a twisty road.

Not to mention, Subaru has a long string of competition victories on the World Rally stage, so they have a long competition heritage and are bulletproof.

I love BMW's and Porsches, but the STi is great. Not to mention, a few tweeks and you can get another 100 hp out of one pretty easy. Though I'm a very happy BMW owner, trust me, car guys in the know that are true enthusiasts and not status car guys will always give you a thumbs up for having an STi.

Definitely worth checking out, might be your cup of tea! I know my M3 will never keep up with you on a twisty road!!

Last edited:
I went through tires on my M3 every 10k miles tops. Oh yeah the wheels were staggered so I could not rotate them. Oh the tires were only like $850 a piece.

Just curious, what tires were costing 850 each on your M3? I buy mine at Tire Rack, and most of the good tires (Michelin, Pirelli, Conti, etc.) are about $300 a pop. Someone in AZ is taking you to the cleaners dude. Stop over at Discount Tire and they will usually match mail order prices.

Lots more money for records!

:)

Ya Diamonds. Another idea is to have those tires mailed directly to your mechanic so you don't have to deal with taking them over. Fwiw.

Steve, no one meant to offend you. I love status/sexiness as much as anyone. Like I said, I would now forgo an STi/Evo easily for a boat with a refined interior. When I say those that don't know anything about cars, I think of my family! LOL. Anyways, like you, and twitch, and others here, I love roadsters... Wanted a 914 in high school, recently drooled over the s2000, my friend even text messaged me yesterday with some used Boxster S deals yesterday, haha. And, yep, the s2000 would smoke it, even the S version... (also staggered tires like the m3).

tonepub, appreciate the confirmation on Subaru's performance. And, in agreement with Twitch, we never really defined a "driver's car". I ASSumed that to mean pure performance only, and so was rather surprised by Rich's comment. He meant no offense, and I don't think Allen or I did either. Just came here to help, and I still wish you luck on your search. I enjoyed reading your BMW review, and look forward to reading more!

You know, I think cars are just like hifi....

Everyone has their own taste that suits them just right. I've told friends of mine to go drive a Lexus and a BMW back to back and that they will probaby really enjoy one and not the other.

Sure enough that's how it always goes!

It's just like panel speakers, you either really dig them, or it's not your cup of tea!

My first set of rear tires on my M3 lasted 23K. $350 each at Costco. Michelin Pilots. Fronts lasted 29K. and cost $300 each to replace.

All the guys at M3forum.com were very surprised that I got 23K on the rears. Usually you get right about 20K, but I've never heard only 10K, so I'll call your statement along with the $850 tires "gross embellishment". :D

Last edited:
Dave, I didn't know you had an S2000!! That's a great car. It's one of the few cars that has 100 HP or more per liter of displacement. Sexy as all hell too. Wish my big ass could fit in one!! :)

bragging or complaining !!! ?????

I'm reading all this car stuff...... what's a real drivers car, bang for the buck, etc.

All I know is my "little-o' Honda S2000 has no trouble kicking a Boxter or Z-4's butt any day of the week. Now keep in mind I'm not talking the "S" or "M" versions.

Just curious, what tires were costing 850 each on your M3? I buy mine at Tire Rack, and most of the good tires (Michelin, Pirelli, Conti, etc.) are about $300 a pop. Someone in AZ is taking you to the cleaners dude. Stop over at Discount Tire and they will usually match mail order prices.

Lots more money for records!

I am a sucker I just bought them at the dealership. That car is gone now and we now have a Honda Pilot for our other car. I have to drive a pick up everyday for my job so that is my luxury auto. Nothing better than getting ripped off. Oh well...Cest La Vie...

My first set of rear tires on my M3 lasted 23K. $350 each at Costco. Michelin Pilots. Fronts lasted 29K. and cost $300 each to replace.

All the guys at M3forum.com were very surprised that I got 23K on the rears. Usually you get right about 20K, but I've never heard only 10K, so I'll call your statement along with the $850 tires "gross embellishment". :D

I drove that car pretty hard and I had 3 sets of tires on a 36,000 mile lease. So I guess I got about 12,000 per tire. The last set of rear tires I bought was about 1585.00 so my recipet from the dealership says. You are right I did a little embellishing.

When I had an 82 Rx7, I used to go through a full set of Comp TAs every six months. This was back when they were super sticky. While I couldn't drag race anybody, it was fun taking on/off ramps with a Camaro on my bumper, then hearing them lose traction behind me as I kept pulling away :D

FWIW, Tom, my stock VTEC is 100 HP per liter too ([email protected]). I really like the S2000, but I really wanted four seats, and preferably a hardtop convertible.

I used to eat up those Comp TA's too, back when I had my 944 turbo.
But you could get a whole set at Discount Tire for 700 bucks, mounted
and balanced!

Now you can't buy a good interconnect for that kind of dough!

Dave, I didn't know you had an S2000!! It's one of the few cars that has 100 HP or more per liter of displacement.

It actually pales in comparrison to my snowmobile, it makes 215 Hp out of a one liter motor, naturally asspirated.

You must have been buying the factory tire. You could find and buy much harder compound tires that would last way longer, but you would not get the traction out of them. That happens with most sports cars. They are looking to make really good numbers on the track (skid pad, slalom, drag strip, etc) so they use really sticky and soft stock tires, you don't have to repeat that though.

And again, the fact you weren't aware of these high performance models in Subaru's lineup (other then the WRX and STi) is testament to Subaru's awful marketing.

-Allen

Roger that! Everyone knows of their rally prowess but few know that the cars are also good on tarmac!

You know, I think cars are just like hifi....

Everyone has their own taste that suits them just right.

You hit the nail on the proverbial head. And everyone's taste changes over time as well.

I have to admit though, I have always had a passion/weakness for german engineering when it comes to cars. I had three Volkswagons and an Opel when I was younger and they were all great cars. I have always dreamed of owning a Porsche 911 and I absolutely love my Mercedes roadster.

I have owned a couple of Subarus before and I was never impressed with their build quality. Granted that was a long time ago and I'm sure they build much better cars now, but I imagine that is where some of my prejudice toward them comes from.

My good freind that manages Jerry Seinfeld's fleet of about 125 Porsches (on any given day) who has 8 Porsches of his own has an STi and loves it. In the hands of an experienced driver, it can embarrass a lot of 150 thousand dollar cars on a twisty road.

Only if the driver of that 150k car SUCKS and the STi driver is a real hot shoe! Put the same driver in each car and I suspece the STi will loose every time. But yea, take a crappy driver who also des not want to scratch his $150k ride and put him up against a guy that does not really care what happens to his $35k STi and who also has a lot of track or race time under his belt and yea, the STi will WHIP him!

I see it all the time at track events. There will be some guy in the green (beginner) group and let that dude in his Viper or Ferrari or Porsche Turbo run against an instructor in his Miata...the miata is going to win EVERY TIME!

Oh cool, an "elitest" snob who doesn't "know anything about cars". I'm aspiring to greatness.

:bowdown:

When I get a garage, my goal is to build one of these so I can be a poser too...

Ouch, I've obviously come across on the wrong foot. I apologize. I did not mean to imply anyone in this thread was an elitist or a snob (I mispell a lot when I type zealously :) ) I certainly didn't say anyone didn't know anything about cars, but rather there were Subaru models and configurations that almost NO ONE knows about because Subaru has awful marketing. My complaint was at Subaru Marketing, not anyones knowledge of a quirky lineup with <1% U.S. Marketshare.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I'm certainly not trolling. I get similarly passionate talking about Martin Logan's to people who have never heard of Electrostats before.

-Allen

I see it all the time at track events. There will be some guy in the green (beginner) group and let that dude in his Viper or Ferrari or Porsche Turbo run against an instructor in his Miata...the miata is going to win EVERY TIME!

That's soooo true. I know in my autocross events, really experienced drivers in Miatas will whip my novice butt in my SLK 320.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back