Opinions on Beemers and similar (cars)?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im an old school BMW guy (because I keep buying hifi gear!!!) but my pair of 325's both have almost 200k on them and still run like tops.

I've been very impressed that my local dealer here in Portland, Oregon is always friendly when I come in for parts and they even let me drive new ones now and then, because they read the magazine and always ask me audio questions!

After owning a few Saabs, Volvos, Mercedes and Porsches, I always come back to the BMW because it's a nice mix of do everything for me. I've had great luck with all of the European cars I've owned, but like hifi, each one has a bit different feel and finding your favorite is important.

Myself, I'm getting really excited about the new 1 series! I'm hoping the 135 will be affordable because the idea of a GTI sized car with 300hp and rear wheel drive sounds like a ton of fun. But I also have a good freind with a new M3 on order and his garage queen may be for sale next spring, so that could be fun too!

My suggestion is drive em all to make sure the BMW is what YOU like. Also, research your local dealers and see how they are. If you get a good dealer, you will really enjoy your car. If you get a crappy one, you will hate it!

Myself, I'm getting really excited about the new 1 series! I'm hoping the 135 will be affordable because the idea of a GTI sized car with 300hp and rear wheel drive sounds like a ton of fun. But I also have a good freind with a new M3 on order and his garage queen may be for sale next spring, so that could be fun too!

Jeff,

I agree that 1 series looks interesting... only time will tell.

I LOVE the current (is it still being made even?) M3! It will be interesting to see how the new one looks. You know it will perform, but the current design track that BMW has taken is not to my liking. I could live w/ the new 3 coupe and probably the 6, but everything else looks like crap to my eye and that damn Z4 should just be banned it is so ugly!

I mentioned over on the other thread that I have about 12 cars on my list that are NOT 928's...

911 (997/996) Twin Turbo
Boxster
E-Type Jag
Moded Supra Turbo (at least 500 rwhp)
M3 (E46...is that the right number?)
CLK 63 AMG Black Edition
Ferrari 456 GTA
Lotus Elise (if they will ever put an SMG gear box in one so I can drive it! Of course I still might not be able to get IN IT from my wheelchair!)

I know I am leaving out a few others, but that is the main list of cars that I will add to the collection in time! I have plenty of room for a new garage that can handle them all...I just need the money and the time! :D

I could live w/ the new 3 coupe and probably the 6, but everything else looks like crap to my eye and that damn Z4 should just be banned it is so ugly!
Absolutely! If you look about 22 yards past a Z4, the basic shape is pretty nice, but all that "surface tension" or whatever it is that idiot Bangle calls it is an affront to the eye! The worst thing is, the Japanese will be copying that in a few years.

Back on topic... I'm not up on the present nomenclature for BMW as they're not in my shopping arena, but the little I've seen on the turbocharged 3 series makes me think I could survive with one if I was forced. :)

I'll agree with Pcar here. The Chris Bangle BMW designs, including the new e90 3 Series just don't move me. The M6 does in certain ways, but in other ways, it screams UGLY!

I love the e46 M3 and plan on keeping mine forever!

The M6 does in certain ways, but in other ways, it screams UGLY!

I love the e46 M3 and plan on keeping mine forever!

TOTALLY agree! Better not get that M3 to close to me or I might drive off with it! LOVE THEM!

When I was in college I had the chance to buy this bodystyle M5
1995%20European%20M5.jpg

for $10k. Obviously while in school I couldn't afford it. Comparing the new 5 series to that makes me wonder wtf they're up to in the ol' Fatherland.

First, if Porsche isn't on the list then go with the BMW if you are a driver -- you will never be disappointed. If spirted driving isn't a priorty go with the infinity. You already know that there is no wrong answer so instead of listening to your ears listen to your heart.

I mentioned over on the other thread that I have about 12 cars on my list that are NOT 928's...

911 (997/996) Twin Turbo
Boxster
E-Type Jag
Moded Supra Turbo (at least 500 rwhp)
M3 (E46...is that the right number?)
CLK 63 AMG Black Edition
Ferrari 456 GTA
Lotus Elise (if they will ever put an SMG gear box in one so I can drive it! Of course I still might not be able to get IN IT from my wheelchair!)

Got to love lists! :D

Mine would be as follows:

Cayman S -- Daily driver
GT3 -- Track car
Moded 997 TT (+800hp) -- When fast just isn't fast enough
356 A four-cam -- Just old school fun!

That stable would make me a very happy man. :D

I have an 05 g35 and love it. Very solid and handles very much like a german car. I can fit two sets of golf clubs with the back seat folded down. I test drove the 3 series and liked it also but the deciding factor was consumer reports reliability ratings.

Another thing is that damn joy stick in the beemers for the radio and heater looks like a pain tn the rear. I have read many compaints on the web about this feature.

If I had to start over I would take a look at a Lexus is350. That is one sharp looking car.

I agree with mrmike.

If you're looking at 335i, the competitors would be G35/G37 and Lexus IS350.

First, if Porsche isn't on the list then go with the BMW if you are a driver -- you will never be disappointed. If spirted driving isn't a priorty go with the infinity. You already know that there is no wrong answer so instead of listening to your ears listen to your heart.

Not sure if spirited driving eliminates the G35/37.... that's one thing I'm going to have to disagree on. And I get to ride in my friend's 2004 M3 almost daily.

Joey

Not sure if spirited driving eliminates the G35/37.... that's one thing I'm going to have to disagree on. And I get to ride in my friend's 2004 M3 almost daily.

Joey

Absolutely agree with you. Everything I read/watch says that the G37 is a damn fine driver's car on the track and on the street.

I'm just a bigger fan of the BMW's styling and ergonomics or I'd go get a G37 and save myself $7k.

Charlie...

If I had the money right now, say I was an attending and not a student, I'd be the first to buy the new upcoming M3.

Fuhgeddaboutit.

Joey

Depends on your definition of spirited. BMW has tons of race history that flows into their cars. Breaking is excellent and predictable. Upgrade ability is long established and proven with multiple levels to match whatever your needs/wants are -- spirited street, autocross, track, etc. For me, anything I buy is going to see track time--well, technically, my Silverado only see the paddock. ;) Bottom line is these are just our opinions that are colored by our own personal tastes/prejudices. As I said, there is no wrong answer.

Depends on your definition of spirited. BMW has tons of race history that flows into their cars. Breaking is excellent and predictable. Upgrade ability is long established and proven with multiple levels to match whatever your needs/wants are -- spirited street, autocross, track, etc. For me, anything I buy is going to see track time--well, technically, my Silverado only see the paddock. ;) Bottom line is these are just our opinions that are colored by our own personal tastes/prejudices. As I said, there is no wrong answer.

I agree BMW is going to have some racing history, but don't discount the G35. Upgradability? Heck yeah... ever seen twin turbo G35s?

I agree BMW is going to have some racing history, but don't discount the G35. Upgradability? Heck yeah... ever seen twin turbo G35s?

I'm not discounting it, in fact, I think they're great cars. I didn't say that there was no upgradeability to the G35. What I meant to convey was that given the racing history, years in production, number of people modifying/racing them, number of BMW-specific tuners all contribute to a better sorted out car.

Charlie...

If I had the money right now, say I was an attending and not a student, I'd be the first to buy the new upcoming M3.

Fuhgeddaboutit.

Joey,

You are going to be a doctor. M3 nice but get an M5...now that is nice car!!!

Guys, I am an Audi Dealer and so I have some opinions as well. First, I would not personally even take a look at the infiniti. Not because it is a bad car-it may be very nice...but infiniti uses too many specials including discounts and crazy low rates. Ultimatly, this affects the resale value. Just look at Ford for a clear example of this.

BMW is a beautiful car and honestly-I am very slightly partial to its styling. If that is what you want-do it. Its still a good car. But let me shamelessly plug Audi for a minute.

Audi has been perfecting its Quattro AWD system for MANY years now. You actually have to special order a car without it in most cases if you dont want it. BMW has their XI series of cars--lexus has their IS 250 AWD--and so on with the competition. BUT WAIT. AUDI is the only AWD system that is PRO active instead of RE active. What do I mean.....In all the other vehicles, the AWD system engages when the wheels slip. In an AUDI, your wheels will never slip because the system will not allow them to. Unless you turn traction off of course.

In a nut-Safety is a huge advantage which also translates to performance with the quattro system. More power to rubber to tar surface area. Actually-twice as much as the other cars without AWD.

One more note- there has only been "1" fatality EVER in an A8 since its original debut. This is to date the best record of ANY production car.

I could go on...

Dominick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back