OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Bonzo, your post certainly points out that everyone hears differently, that's for sure. To lump Magicos, Focals, B&Ws and Wilsons, all some of the most highly reviewed and loved speakers out there, as speakers you don't like, well to each his own.

Steve,

He's a planar type of guy I think. Within that context, not so surprising I guess.

GG

Well Bonzo, your post certainly points out that everyone hears differently, that's for sure. To lump Magicos, Focals, B&Ws and Wilsons, all some of the most highly reviewed and loved speakers out there, as speakers you don't like, well to each his own.

There are a lot of highly reviewed components I don't like. In fact I know very few ill reviewed components. Come to think of it, I don't like most speakers, but then there are a select few I love a lot. Most are cottage industry speakers, a single-person job, with Logans probably the only one I like that is a well established company. I consider well-established brands to be highly overrated, highly over-reviewed, and priced at multiple times the manufacturing costs. These companies do provide good distribution and service though, plus resale value. But sonically, Montis aside, there is no non-cottage industry speaker in my 2-ch consideration set. Even my dac preference is cottage (though he has now gone commercial)

Last edited:

There's gotta be a sound that bonzo's after. Those 4 are all heavy hitters.

GG...

Whhhaaaat?? You got it? What happened to your 306sacd? I hope you did a comparo as the 306sacd was something I wanted for so long.

Joey

Nope. Rolled the dice. Will have it in two weeks or so.

Plan on keeping the Cary until I've burned in the unit (ugh!) and I'm sure the K01 is everything that reviewers and others say it is.

I'm jazzed. We shall see. I'm 0 for 2 on my latest auditions.

Can always resell with a minor loss.

Your move amigo.

Thanks Steve.

there is no non-cottage industry speaker in my 2-ch consideration set. Even my dac preference is cottage (though he has now gone commercial)

bonzo,

I applaud your willingness to look "outside of the proverbial box".

Not something most folks would do but if you are happy, that's all that counts.

Tis a strange, illogical, and wonderful hobby as witnessed by my actions today.

Glad music is my drug versus heroine, cocaine, etc. If that were the case, I'd be dead by now. :stop:

Gordon

Nope. Rolled the dice. Will have it in two weeks or so.

Plan on keeping the Cary until I've burned in the unit (ugh!) and I'm sure the K01 is everything that reviewers and others say it is.

I'm jazzed. We shall see. I'm 0 for 2 on my latest auditions.

Can always resell with a minor loss.

Your move amigo.

Thanks Steve.

GG

I'm right on your tail brother.

Let me know how the K01 stacks up, this will be a very good shootout.

As far as I know, aside from the K01X, you have the SOTA source. Of course not including Grandioso and Vivaldi level gear.

I'm very excited for you Gordon, I wish you the best and happy and healthy listening. I would say I'm envious... But we will be twins soon.

Thanks Joey.

From what I've been able to gather, the "X" model adds an additional upsampling feature and deletes the digital volume control and program track remote option.

I have little use for the first and definitely want the latter features. So for me, the legacy model better suits my personal needs.

Regarding the shootout, I have no expectations other than the K01 should be a more refined device.

Having said that, the Cary is one very fine, musical CDP.

The law of diminishing returns (dollars versus performance) comes to the forefront. We shall see.

And given burn in, etc, I'm six to eight weeks out to make an informed decision.

Gordon

PS: I think my dealer will burn in the unit before shipping. :rocker:

Last edited:
Sounds good, actually sounds great GG!

Make sure to PM me your thoughts when you get them, I know you said 6-8 weeks to really get a handle on the sound and burn it in, but I don't mind prelim thoughts.

Hi Joey,

Assuming I keep the "K", yes.

And I spent $1,500 to have "passive" mods done by Ron at Marigo.

Can provide details if you wish.

GG

Gordon!

What's up with your Esoteric k1?

I have one that I might just pull the trigger on today.

Joey

went to a guy's place here in London, he has the K-01, and said the performance went up massively after adding the 10 MHz clock

went to a guy's place here in London, he has the K-01, and said the performance went up massively after adding the 10 MHz clock

I've heard the same thing. I may find out in the not too distant future assuming I keep mine.

Back