Newbie in UK with SL3s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freejon

Reaction score
Hello from the New Forest, where I have recently become the happy owner of a pair of used but immaculate SL3s. I am in love. My room is much too small for an ideal setup, but even so I get quite decent imaging and good bass. I haven't spiked them yet, and will probably get some improvement there. My amp is a classic valve, the Radford Renaissance STA50, which drives them very well. I have heard them with the monoblock version of the same amp, which gets a tiny bit more detail and a little extra bass tightness, but the difference is quite small.
I have always liked speakers that are revealing and without coloration, and I have had some quite decent ones in the past, but nothing to compare with these. I adore the clarity and the cleanness of the sound. I wasn't sure if the sub would completely integrate with the panel, but it seems to me that it does so very well. I don't do heavy metal, and there are probably speakers which will deliver more power-slam, but for the classical, jazz, jazz-rock and acoustic stuff that is my core diet, these are fantastic and I doubt I could get significantly better without spending 10 or 20 times more. I expect to own them for a very long time.

Welcome to the troop,

Get spikes ASAP, tightens the bass beautifully, I actually use 3cm granite under them, a copper coin under spikes and you are away laughing. SL3s like current. Keep your hands on your holiday money! Before you know it another amp will appear :)

Fjeff

Possible bi-amp ing approach

Thanks to all for the welcome. FJeff, I might have bought the monoblocks if I had felt they were quite up to spec. I didn't. But I do have a Radford SPA-50 - the transistor equivalent of the valve amp I am using. When it comes back from refurbishment, my next experiment (after spikes)will be to bi-amp, using the solid state for the bass and the valve for the panel. If I can get the balance right between the two amps, that might do the trick for delivering increased current. At 1/5 the price of the monoblocks.

Jon

Arcam CD23, Tag McLaren PA10 preamp, Radford STA-50 into SL3s

Hi Jon,

See my thread in the "tweaks" section for other fun stuff you can do with your SL3's.

GG

PS: Located at the top of Page 2.

Last edited:
Back