new to the group and ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i baught new ML speakers last year for the first time. and here is how i set it up. i baught a onkyo7.1 receiver my front speakers are ML source's 2 my surround are ML encore's and so is my middle channel. awsome as it is, i would like to here more from my surround speakers,and i love power so here is what i thought i would do. i will take my source's make them the surround left and right,buy new vantage,s for the front and get a stage for the middle,then hook up the encore's to the rest of my speaker ports for the 7.1 i will also need to buy 1 more encore. tell me what you guys think!!!

That will make for a good combo. Don't forget you'll need to buy some amps, too.

thanks for the responce!! however im new to all this stuff kinda so would you please explaine in detail a little about the amps

ML speakers are quite a difficult load for a receiver to handle, let alone a receiver with 5 of them. The power supplies in the receivers just can't cover the voltage requirements. The speakers will sound a lot better if you use external amplifiers to run them as they'll be able to provide cleaner power and higher volume levels. Not to mention that you won't have to worry about burning up your receiver in 2 months. ;-) A common favorite around here are Sunfire 5 channel amplifiers for HT set ups.

Hi. Welcome to the group. Sounds like you're expanding fast wrt an all ML surround setup. There is no better path ;)

I think the comment about amps, a point most of us would agree on, is that while a 7.1 receiver will certainly power your system and provide reasonable service, you will likely find that dedicated power amps (perhaps fed from the pre-amp outputs of your receiver) would help elevate your system to a new level in terms of SQ and dynamics. There are several ways to approach this. You might look at 2, or 3, or 5 channel amps (to start) and drive the balance of your setup with your receiver. Or shoot for the moon and look into a 7 channel (or some combination that gets you to 7 channels). Anyway you slice it, you have a slew of system configuration and upgrade options available.

We like pics. If you haven't already, pls post your system in the Members System section.

Cheers

Welcome to the club!

Your Onkyo receiver may have pre-outs that allow you to add an external amplifer(s) and your receiver becomes a control preamp.

Just a thought - I assume your processor has a way of increasing the volume on the rear speakers? That would get you more volume out of the rears. But not sure what you have tried to improve the sound. Is it just more volume you are looking for?

thanks tom! and as far as my sound i just thought i would here more clearley and here things you would not normally here from a small surround speaker.i can turn the surround's up but then like durring a football game for example the backround noise seems to overshadow the dialog.like i said guys im pretty green at all this. and i have a expencive taste on a low budget!!!!!! LOL the econimy has killed my buisness im a painting and drywall contractor. good thing my wife likes ML i got her into it too LOL:ROFL:

Welcome to the forum.

Which Onkyo do you have? Curious, as I started that route as well when I bought my Vantages. It didn't take long before I added an Emotiva XPA-2, and recently an Emotiva UPA-1 to relieve the receiver of the demands of the Vantages and Motif center channel.

thanks tom! and as far as my sound i just thought i would here more clearley and here things you would not normally here from a small surround speaker.i can turn the surround's up but then like durring a football game for example the backround noise seems to overshadow the dialog.like i said guys im pretty green at all this. and i have a expencive taste on a low budget!!!!!! LOL the econimy has killed my buisness im a painting and drywall contractor. good thing my wife likes ML i got her into it too LOL:ROFL:

Yeah - I know what you are talking about... Let me give you an example of what I was doing a long time ago.... I had a Yamaha receiver with paradigm speakers. I wasn't getting much out of the rear speakers. Then I changed my receiver to a sunfire theater grand processor & a sunfire signature grand amp... What a difference... Dialogue was clearer - I was getting more out of the rear speakers etc... I think it was because of the processor quite frankly (but of course the other variable is the amp change)... All I am saying is - your issue may NOT be fixed by changing out speakers....So, given your budget limitations - be careful where you go from here since it may or may not fix the issue that you describe.

Welcome to the forum. You have chosen a new hobby that has no end and you can enjoy and relish each improvement over the years. We all enjoy helping you spend your money. From what you have said I think you should really consider Hocky's advice in your next move.

That will make for a good combo. Don't forget you'll need to buy some amps, too.

If you can use your receiver as a processor you can use separate amps to really bring your ML's to life. To save money you might want to consider used amps. Check out Audiogon.com and you can generally find a good variety. Hocky was suggesting Sunfire amps as one posibility. There is a 5x200 Sunfire on Agon for $895. I am only suggesting this approach as you grow in this hobby. Used equipment does have some risk but many members of this forum (many of those nice systems that you see listed) have used equipment in them.

Regards,
Gary

my receiver is a onkyo tx-sr707 7.1 hope that helps

Okay. I have the Onkyo Tx-Nr807. That receiver is rated a higher power output than the 707, for whatever that's worth.

You'll love the Vantages if you get them. The downside is the panels on the Vantage will likely strain your current receiver even more than it already is. You can probably make things work for a while, but you won't get nearly the sound from your system you could if you can either add an amp dedicated to the Vantage panels, or alternatively as has been suggested, upgrade your receiver.

Since we're so good at spending other people's money, here's a thought for you to consider...

Instead of spending $5k+ for a pair of new Vantages, check audiogon.com, local Craigslist, the classified section of this forum, even e-bay for a good used set of Vantages. I bought mine for $2400, and they can be found from about that price up to about $2800 used. Try to find someone local to you, or within driving distance, so you can audition the speakers before you buy them.

The money you can save by buying used will allow you to spend a little in the amplifier department - $500 to $1200 can buy a lot of amp if you go used, or you can buy a new Emotiva XPA-2 to power the Vantage panels for $800, as I did.

I started trying to build a nice combo two-channel/home theater system using a receiver I thought was up to the demands...because I was trying to stay within a "reasonable" budget. :ROFL: If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the Sunfire Cinema Grand used instead of spending $800 on the Onkyo, finding it wasn't enough then spending $800 on the XPA-2, then finding the Onkyo still wasn't driving my Motif center adequately, requiring another $350 to acquire the UPA-1.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the journey! This can be a very expensive process.

P.S., I bought my Motif used as well.

Last edited:
thanks man that was easy to understand,even for me lol. i wish i found this sight befor i found the sailsman at best buy!who told me my onkyo was all i would even need!!! i will keep you guys updated on how things go. thanks for all the help

thanks man that was easy to understand,even for me lol. i wish i found this sight befor i found the sailsman at best buy!who told me my onkyo was all i would even need!!! i will keep you guys updated on how things go. thanks for all the help

Good luck - and as others have said "enjoy the journey!"

Latest posts

Back