New to MartinLogan am looking at Used and New... Any suggestions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman76762000

Reaction score
I have been looking at a pair of ML ReQuest and a pair of ML Sequel speakers. They both are in great shape and sound amazing! I have a large 24X42 ft room they will be going in. The ReQuests are $1500 and the Sequels are $699... Should I go with the ReQuests and save money for a descent amp or go with the Sequels and go buy an amp to go with them right away...? Or but the new Electro Motion ESLs??? Any ideas?

I have been looking at a pair of ML ReQuest and a pair of ML Sequel speakers. They both are in great shape and sound amazing! I have a large 24X42 ft room they will be going in. The ReQuests are $1500 and the Sequels are $699... Should I go with the ReQuests and save money for a descent amp or go with the Sequels and go buy an amp to go with them right away...? Or but the new Electro Motion ESLs??? Any ideas?

I think for the price difference you would be better of going with the new ElectroMotion ESL. They are not much more money, review I read was very positive and you can have a warrenty.

I've owned both the Sequels and reQuests in the past.. Both are fine speakers, but ML's newer products are a little easier to live with. Better bass integration with the panel and they are smaller and easier to drive... If you buy the ElectroMotions, you'd not need such a beefy amp. Between the Sequel and the reQuest, I'd get the reQuest. HUGE panel, massive soundstage and your room is plenty big... Get the serial numbers of the panels and see exactly how old they are.. There's a sticky that has a decoder to determine the age of the speakers... Good luck and welcome aboard.

I've owned both the Sequels and reQuests in the past.. Both are fine speakers, but ML's newer products are a little easier to live with. Better bass integration with the panel and they are smaller and easier to drive... If you buy the ElectroMotions, you'd not need such a beefy amp. Between the Sequel and the reQuest, I'd get the reQuest. HUGE panel, massive soundstage and your room is plenty big... Get the serial numbers of the panels and see exactly how old they are.. There's a sticky that has a decoder to determine the age of the speakers... Good luck and welcome aboard.

+1

I owned (and still own) the reQuests. Great speaker, but simply not as advanced as the current offerings.

The Electromotions are probably better, but in a room that big you're going to need the biggest panels and woofers that you can afford to get into..... tough decision.

The Electromotions are probably better, but in a room that big you're going to need the biggest panels and woofers that you can afford to get into..... tough decision.

That is a huge room. I wondered if maybe there was a digit-juxtaposition situation there... maybe.

Why do folks keep recommending the electromotion when right now you can get a pair of brand new ML Vista for 2k = $200 cheaper. The Vista retails for over 4k and it has a larger panel with aluminum woofers for 2k shipped its a no brainer. After hearing both I can tell you the Vista beats the electromotion

The vista is also known to have problem with blowing woofers and in a big room like this, they're going to get pushed.

The vista is also known to have problem with blowing woofers and in a big room like this, they're going to get pushed.

yep! I know something about it. Although I dont think it's such common problem.

I would like some examples of this and the percentage of failure rates to units sold ? Or be more specific and give us facts so your statment has some weight

I would like some examples of this and the percentage of failure rates to units sold ? Or be more specific and give us facts so your statment has some weight

I don't care to do research for you - feel free to search. There are enough of documented cases here alone to accept that the risk is real. You're obviously never going to find the real failure rate because that is something that ML will never release. I can't say I've heard any discussion about a woofer blowing on any other model. Maybe the Vista is a great speaker for the money, but with that knowledge of potential woofer issues and the fact that they will have to be pushed hard to fill such a large room, I don't think that it is a good recommendation. Honestly, I don't think anything short of the top tier speakers (Summit, SummitX, CLX w/ subs) are really a good recommendation for a room of that size.

Last edited:
Best buy/Magnolia is offering a nice deal this month. Buy a pair of EM/ESL and basically get a Dynamo 500 free. I just went to them (as I bought my EM/ESLs last month) and worked out a deal to upgrade to the 700w for very low cost. 36 month financing for a limited time. I don't work for or associated to Best buy in any way other than being a customer.

Best Buy deal :http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLogan+Dynamo+500+Subwoofer+and+ElectroMotion+8%22+Floor+Speakers+Package/9999176000050012.p?id=pcmprd175400050012&skuId=9999176000050012&st=martin%20logan&lp=14&cp=1

Last edited:
Back