New Motif Center Channel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, let's see if Sleepy changes his tune after tomorrow ;)

He's getting the full dose of my 'little' center. I'm sure he'll have a different view about just how big a center he needs for the Summits after that :devil:

He's getting the full dose of my 'little' center. I'm sure he'll have a different view about just how big a center he needs for the Summits after that :devil:

I think ideally, it should be another Summit as a center for Alan.

Joey

I'm finding this a very intersting thread.
In my personal experience, I have always had a hard time with a phantom centre. Most of the time, I had trouble with/stuggled to hear the vocals but the rest of the sountrack was amazing. Maybe it's just me.
I'm using a Vignette as my centre now and for me, it's like night and day. As far as dispersion goes, it's pretty awesome too. At the far right of my HT is my desk/office and at the far left is the kitchen (I'm in a small condo). From either extreme, the vocals are great and any panning sound come out quite well. Dead center, it's awesome.
I have been eyeing the Motif since I first saw it here. My plans include getting the Motif as the center and acquiring another Vignette to move them to the rears. This would be the first 'real' Martin Logan Centre channel that is in my snack bracket.
I am totally in awe of the systems posted here. Even working within the low end of the ML line, the results are impressive.
There's that Joey'itis kicking in. I have the next five years worth of upgrades already planned. In the mean time, the journey is incredible.

I think that may have been because they didn't set up the receiver correctly. This is exactly what I was experiencing. But I went back into the setup and made sure that center was turned to "off" and then everything worked the way it should.

Anyone Heard the Motif yet ?

I was wondering if anyone has heard the Motif as of yet? I had "heard" that the "street" price for it would be $860. This seems low if it replace the Cinema i.
I would like a centre channel speaker to match our Vistas in our Home Theatre. For most films the centre channel is the most important speaker and probably contains 66% of the sound track and it plays almost 100% of the time. I really like the Stage but $2800 is way beyond what remains of our budget! Any thoughts here?

I was wondering if anyone has heard the Motif as of yet? I had "heard" that the "street" price for it would be $860. This seems low if it replace the Cinema i.
I would like a centre channel speaker to match our Vistas in our Home Theatre. For most films the centre channel is the most important speaker and probably contains 66% of the sound track and it plays almost 100% of the time. I really like the Stage but $2800 is way beyond what remains of our budget! Any thoughts here?

List price for the new Motif is $1699 and (if it isn't at your dealer already) you should see it any day now.

I agree the center speaker can never be "too large", however, in my WAF-dominated world, size "does matter" :D

After hearing Jonathon's "super center" and the rest of his system, I feel like just throwing in the towel and getting a Bose! :bowdown:

If it's really replacing the Cinema, I would presume it will be part of the ESL series. However, it's not yet listed on the ML website. Has anybody seen one in the retail channel yet?

Just had to chime in here. I'm awaiting the Motif as well! :D It's going to rock! The clearance prices on the Cinema i are awfully tempting though! I'm going to call my dealer this weekend and see what the availability is. I wonder if they plan to also replace the Stage with a "convex" design for better dispersion.

I called my dealer today and he said the Motif is shipping as of Aug 1. Place your orders! :D I plan to soon. I hope there isn't a huge wait.

Has anyone seen a Motif for sale yet?

I was wondering if anyone had seen or heard the new Motif Centre channel speaker at a dealer yet?

Last edited:
The Motif officially replaces the Cinema i

I noticed on ML site that the Motif has "appeared" and the Cinema i is gone from the product pages.

Has Anyone heard it yet? I am curious to know if the Motif actually "sounds better" than the Cinema i ??

Has anyone seen an actual "street" price for the Motif?

I'm going to try to steal ML's bandwidth with a picture, but with the way they have them mounted, wouldn't it sound HORRIBLE?! You have the center channel with the 30 degree arc horizontally, and the left and right channels with the arc vertically. Wouldn't left and right Martin Logans with Vertical CLS arcs mean that there is NO left and right dispersion? Wouldn't this mean that no seat could possibly be a sweet spot?

big_image_motif.jpg

Why is it being marketed as anything but a center channel in the first place?

Help me out experts.

-Allen

I, too, was VERY surprised to see this photo on their website. It looks like a fine CENTER channel, but who the heck wants THREE of 'em in that configuration?? If this is ML's new tack in hoping to woo the female market, fuggeddaboutit! That configuration merits a -5 in WAF!

I, too, was VERY surprised to see this photo on their website. It looks like a fine CENTER channel, but who the heck wants THREE of 'em in that configuration?? If this is ML's new tack in hoping to woo the female market, fuggeddaboutit! That configuration merits a -5 in WAF!

It's like they are trying to make it an Electrostatic version of the Fresco, which has crappy dispersion no matter which way you mount it =D (I love my Fresco =D

-Allen

Why is it being marketed as anything but a center channel in the first place?

Help me out experts.

Allen,

Home theater experts will tell you that IDENTICAL speakers across the front stage (at least if you are running three speakers up there vs. 5 across the front as in a 9.X system) then your absolute best practice (for HT anyway) would be to run three of the same thing! Voicing will match perfectly.

Back