New job - travel - opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all --

I have decided to send a note out to my Martin Logan brethren regarding this... I have a possible opportunity to go work in a much more stable environment for a lot more money. My company is sending a lot of things overseas. It seems like I may be the last person standing - but at some point if the economy does not pick up - I'll probably get drop kicked too...(think automotive industry).... I think I am safe till year end - but after that it is a crapshoot....

So, this opportunity comes up to go 4 days somewhere else (hour and fifteen plane ride) - for close to double the money. It is right up my alley - and in an area where there is a big safety net. I have 1 in college - and 1 that is 2 years away. I see my 16 year old 1/2 the time and this would proabably take 1 day away from that. My wife works till 8pm three days per week currently.

Those of you with job travel experience - and even those without...How about chiming in - giving your thoughts, experiences. I ask myself if it is worth it? From a career / job / economic sense - it makes all the sense in the world... but then we have the family - but, I have an economic responsibility to them as well.... Do I sit tight and wait - or do I grab this up?

I'm not an idiot - I wouldn't make the decision based on a message board - but, would just like some input from those that have experienced it - or have thought about it....because I think many of us are in - or may be in the same boat... Thanks A Bunch - Tim.

So, this opportunity comes up to go 4 days somewhere else (hour and fifteen plane ride) - for close to double the money.
Well, to chime in on the obvious, you've discussed this with your family?
Obviously with the state of the economy, that's a big ask, changing gears like that, but your present employer is probably going to force your hand soon. I'd say it's worth the risk as long as you and your family are on the same page on the home front. Take the plunge. Roll the extra income into your savings and solid investments. But don't be afraid to have a little fun with the extra income. And I require a Depth i for a consultation fee.;):D

So, this opportunity comes up to go 4 days somewhere else (hour and fifteen plane ride) - for close to double the money. It is right up my alley - and in an area where there is a big safety net. I have 1 in college - and 1 that is 2 years away. I see my 16 year old 1/2 the time and this would proabably take 1 day away from that. My wife works till 8pm three days per week currently.

Those of you with job travel experience - and even those without...How about chiming in - giving your thoughts, experiences. I ask myself if it is worth it? From a career / job / economic sense - it makes all the sense in the world... but then we have the family - but, I have an economic responsibility to them as well.... Do I sit tight and wait - or do I grab this up?

I did something similar for 7 months a couple of years ago. The money was great, but I hated being apart from my family (wife and--at the time--dog). The fact that I was working in Edmonton, Alberta didn't help (too bloody cold, and a concrete jungle!). If the place where you'll be worming/staying during the week is nice, I think that can help make up for the lack of family, but I wouldn't recommend it for long term.

Yeah - I hear you... I have talked to my wife about it - and she too isn't quite sure. She has friday off -and now I would be home all day friday - but, still - not being there for 4 days a week. She sees both the benefits and the drawbacks. I think it would be tough...but, I keep wondering if it would be tougher than possibly not having a job? I have 2 years of liquidity for bills etc... but who wants to go there if you don't have to. I have had to look for a job without a job once. Puts you at a complete disadvantage when trying to negotiate....

Money is not everything, but job security is. Being away for those periods of time will be okay to start, but may drag on you and the wife later on. Hard to say as I am not you :)

I had a friend who did this type of travel you are thinking about, but he was single and it did not matter where he was. Piled up LOADS of travel miles doing it, and loads of free tickets to travel places.

Yeah - I hear you... I have talked to my wife about it - and she too isn't quite sure. She has friday off -and now I would be home all day friday - but, still - not being there for 4 days a week. She sees both the benefits and the drawbacks. I think it would be tough...but, I keep wondering if it would be tougher than possibly not having a job? I have 2 years of liquidity for bills etc... but who wants to go there if you don't have to. I have had to look for a job without a job once. Puts you at a complete disadvantage when trying to negotiate....

My 0.02 (keep in mind that I am single with no ties...): take the job, pocket the money and hopefully the economy rebounds in 2010. Use the extra money to build the savings, college funds, etc. Yes, it'll be tough only being around a few days a week. That's the trade off. But having the income is important too. Also, if the economy bounces back maybe you could eventually resume a more regular schedule closer to home.

Erik

I think this is close to a no brainer. You're standing on thin ice now, you've been presented an excellent opportunity, and you’re close to having your children in college, so that relocating in the future is a real option. Frankly, I don't see where you have a choice. Either you sit and stress or move on and look to see how you can improve on things. Regardless of your decision I wish you all the luck.

Thanks for the input guys.... I must say - today, I sit and someone mentioned that we are all just sitting waiting around for our positions to be shipped to Asia Pacific. The reason I got to where I am at is because I was tired of hearing the 'you should be happy you have a job' junk... The hard part is - I have withstood a 55% salary force reduction...I am a subject matter expert in several areas...and sometimes you get this false sense of security. My customer - for the most part - has gone to Asia Pac...we have been told 30% of our current workload should go there....and My boss's, boss's boss is a guy out of Chennai India. So, the question becomes at what point does the whole shooting match go over? Maybe they always will need the 'point guy' here - and I could easily be that guy - but, no telling for sure. One thing is for certain... I don't see a raise this year or next... Could take a 5% pay cut in fact. The system will now seem to be more stable because my customer are a bunch of newbies that wouldn't know if something was up or down. Problems will go un-noticed - the company will think it is very stable - and what is the need for our subject matter experts at that point? All of these are unknowns. On one had I want to react - and on the other I don't want to over-react. It is a fine line....

Hi Tim,

Ahhhhhh lifes ups and downs, how well I know as I grew up in a Railroad family, which like the Military meant my father wasn't home much, I vowed I'd never let that happen to my kids. But in your case with one in college and the other a sophmore in High School you are at or past those 'formative' years and are now getting into the time when exspense and 'nest egg' building takes over.

I'm assuming you're in your early to mid-forties so the next ten-twenty years are big to insure your financial stability as you head into retirement.

It's fair to assume to have had serious discussion with wife and kids, so when your heart and your gut get on the same page......go for it !

Remember Harry Chapin wrote 'Cats in the Cradle'....well he also wrote 'Circle' !

Good Luck !

Timm,

For nine years I did every form of telecommunting from Chicago to Houston (about a two hour plane ride) The most successful was one week in Chicago one in Houston. That translated to 5 days /4 nights gone 9 days / 10 nights home. You are looking at something similar 4 days / 3 nights gone 3 days / 4 nights home. about 50/50 split. My family was in high school & college at the time and they are all reasonable well adjusted today.

For me it worked out very well. PM me for phone number is you want to talk about my experience.

--burke

Thanks Burke -- I might take you up on that if this thing pops for me. I have a friend who is a PeopleSoft consultant as well and he has helped a bit. I appreciate it...thanks tim.

Sounds like a decision between something that's sure and something that's not. Better to take control of your destiny than not?

Only downside would be time away, but it doesn't sound like a lot of time away for you.

There are stretches when I'm away from home a lot too... what helps a lot is Skype or Oovoo. Teenagers need lots of touching-base with, and with the new technology it's something that they are comfortable using. My wife likes it too.

Good luck! For our families, we do what we have to do.

On an audio-related note ... my most valuable gear has become an iPod, a good portable amp, and good earphones/headphones.

Back