new guy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burgerchow

Reaction score
Hello, just bought my first set of Martin Logan speakers. Picked up the electromotions as a base for a 2 channel system I'm setting up. I pondered about upgrading to the Theos, but really couldn't see the $3000 difference in sound, compared to the electromotions. Picking up a new amp to power these puppies tomorrow. Having a hard time deciding how to power them. I'm in between Anthem 225 2 channel solid state for $1200 or a Primaluna/Mystere tube amp for about $3,000.
I've heard tube amps on quad 57s and they sound so sweet. Anybody using tube amps?

Welcome, I have the EM/ESL running off a NAD C326BEE for a real world 50 watts. The Electromotions don't need huge power. However if you start up the product line then watt counting becomes important. If I were going to buy an amp today I would buy solid state in the 150 watt class. Look, listen and run as they say. Welcome.

Welcome! I just got my first pair of MLs as well (Source). I've been researching an amp upgrade as well. Emotiva seems like a great bang for the buck choice. I've been looking at the xpa-5, but I've looked at the two channel units and read reviews that sound promising. Might be worth a look.

You might check out a new/used Pass Labs amp as they mate well with Martin Logan's; of course I'm biased!

I'm thinking anthem integrated 225 or primaluna dialogue2 tube amps. Anybody have any experience with either of these?

Welcome B'Chow,

I owned the Prima Luna Dialogue 7 monos and LOVED them! Only reason I sold is because 80W/ch was simply not enough to power my CLXs in all situations. Whether or not 38W/Ch (with the Dialogue 2) would be sufficient for your listening choices for your EMs?? Can't really say. I do know that PL makes quality, sweet sounding gear.

Good luck with your journey :)

Well, the dirty deed is done. Just picked up brand new Primaluna Dialogue 2 with the new Tung Sol KT120 tubes, along with the new Cambridge Audio BD751 blueray,sacd streamer, with dual wolf son dacs. Should sound awesome. Auditioned the same combo with the ml electromotions and they were great.

Well, the dirty deed is done. Just picked up brand new Primaluna Dialogue 2 with the new Tung Sol KT120 tubes, along with the new Cambridge Audio BD751 blueray,sacd streamer, with dual wolf son dacs. Should sound awesome. Auditioned the same combo with the ml electromotions and they were great.

Congrats! I didn't know the KT120s were an option for the PL amps. Assume PL says it's OK to use them given their increased filament draw versus the KT88s?

burgerchow said:
Well, the dirty deed is done. Just picked up brand new Primaluna Dialogue 2 with the new Tung Sol KT120 tubes
Congrats on the start of a great system!! I, too, have a tube-based system and can't say enough about the tube + ML combination. Enjoy!

Just finished unpacking and hooking up everything. Everything works ( thank god. I've got bad luck with electronics , lots of times I get something home, plug it in, and Dead units ). Sound is very clean and soundstage way better than my home theater mirage/onkyo. My test cd was Adele 21. Played it on HT (2channel direct), then on ML system and it sounded way more live. Even though my onkyo is 130 w/pc, it always felt like it was pushing my mirage fxr7 speakers. The primaluna, at only 38 watts felt effortless at powering the MLs. My fears of the amp being underpowered were alieved.
The sound is great now, so just waiting til everything broken in, it should sound supreme. Great budget system.
( I say budget system cause everything cost me only $ 7200' including tax. That's less than the price one amp from the big names. )

Back