New guy, hard decision

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G35

Reaction score
:confused: I can't make up my mind which ML's to buy. I can squeeze about $2000 for now. I've listened to the Prodigy's years ago and they were to good for words. As of recent I've listened to the Clarity's and they sounded very good for the price ($1200).

These will be used for TV/Movies & Music alike.

There's a ReQuest on ebay now, but I'm concerned the panel would need replacing (do panels need replacing & is it possible on an older model, such as the ReQeust?).

Any advice?
I've browsed the forum but can't decided whats the better way to go for the long run.

Clarity at 1200 is a SCREAMING good deal!!!! I dont think I've ever seen them that cheap used on audiogon.

I say buy it.:eek:

he probably means $1200 ea.
if $2000 per speaker is your budget, i'd go with vistas.
if $2000 total is your budget, show me wherer you saw those prodigys and clarities :p

There's a pair of Clarities on audiogon.com: $1,325.00 FOR A QUICK SALE !!INCLUDING FREE SHIPPING TO USA ONLY AND NO PAYPAL FEES

There are a dozen or so MLs for $2K or under on the 'gon, Aerius, clarity, Aeon, Sequel 2

Which pair to buy?????

I'm not sure if your budget is each or total, but I have a very, very nice pair of black vistas (9/10 audiogon scale) for $2700 shipped (to anywhere in US)

-Allen

Last edited:
You can never go wrong with a pair of Quest's or Re Quest' . I have listened to the Prodigy's and they are good but they are not THAT much better than a good set up pair of Quest's or Re Quest's. Matter of fact the Quest's have a tad more bass. They are easily findable for under 2 k a pair. If you need new panels they are readily available for $695.00 . I would try to demo any speaker before buying it as its easy for the seller to say it was damaged in shipping.

My .02 worth C.A.P

Also keep in mind that they higher in the line you go, the more amp you will need to make them sing. You didn't mention what you will drive the speakers with, so this may or may not be an issue for you, but certainly something to think about.

I guess the price for the clarity was $2k per speaker. I assumed it was for the pair :eek: .
My budget of $2k is for a Pair of speakers, although I can bump it if needed.

sebrof2000-
Thant's the problem, which one to buy, all of them? :p

Edit-
Looks like the Aeon's are cheaper than the Clarity's and provide a larger panel, where the Aerius look identical to the Clarity's.
So, Clarity v. Aerius is a toss up?
But the Aeon would be better than the Clarity?
Does this sound correct?

On a side note, I recommend everyone listen to Santana with a Descent sub.

Last edited:
I guess the price for the clarity was $2k per speaker. I assumed it was for the pair :eek: .
My budget of $2k is for a Pair of speakers, although I can bump it if needed.

sebrof2000-
Thant's the problem, which one to buy, all of them? :p

Edit-
Looks like the Aeon's are cheaper than the Clarity's and provide a larger panel, where the Aerius look identical to the Clarity's.
So, Clarity v. Aerius is a toss up?
But the Aeon would be better than the Clarity?
Does this sound correct?

On a side note, I recommend everyone listen to Santana with a Descent sub.
Going on what I've read (and I read everything I could when I was pondering picking up some Aeriuses... Aerii... ) the Aerius is one of the better speakers you can buy, period. IMO they're the quality bargain on the used market right now, going for $1200+/- and they're not old enough to need panels unless abused. There are 3 pairs of Aerius or i on eprey right now. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/312/

Unfortunately I missed a good deal on Audiogon for the Aerius' i.
Are the Ascents worth an extra $1000? My assumption is yes, but that isn't always the case.

Thanks for the help, I'm getting antsy and ready to purchase

I was just going to mention Ascents and Ascent Is. If you can squeeze another $300-400 dollars into your budget you gain slightly newer speakers than Quest/reQuests and more bass and a larger panel than the Clarity.

If that's too high to go, Aeon and Aeon Is are going in the ~$1700 range.

I think your room size will dictate to a degree what speakers to look for. Having speakers the size of Quest/reQuests in a tiny room will be a bit of a waste. They need a bit of space IMO.

WOW! Can of worms here!

If it were my money and I had a big room, I would put the ReQuests at the top of the list! I also like the way they look.

If my room were med size I would put the Ascent/Ascent i at the top of the list.

If I could not afford the Ascent then I would look to the Aerius i and then Aeon i.

That is just me. YMMV!

Oh, yea, Prodigy are AWESOME BABY!! I LOVE MINE!! Ascent are VERY NICE TOO, I love mine as well! I HAD Aerius i's and guess what...I LOVE THEM ALSO! I wanted to buy a set of ReQuest from some folks who were thinking about moving...they were not for sale though and they changed their mind and didn't move anyway.

Best of luck and keep us posted! Nice handle and car, especially the 2 door version!

Back