New from NJ

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidoro

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is David O'Rourke,

Born in Dublin, Ireland. Dad had Quad growing up but never got the ESLs for financial reasons. I just recently got a used set of ML Sequel IIs and love them. I'm almost a newbie to HiFi - returning to the fold you could say. I feel I got these speakers for both my Dad (now passed on) and me!

I'm a professional jazz arranger/guitarist - that's the reason I moved to the USA back in 1989, had first come here in 1982-3.

On MLs suggestion I got the Emotiva power amp and stereo pre and am delighted with the results.

I look forward to mining the knowledge sources here,

Best,

David (O'Rourke)

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to the forum. This place is a wealth of information, have fun taking a look around.

So ML actually suggested the Emotiva gear? Which models have you purchased, and which did they suggest? Can you post pics?

Thanks

Jim

Welcome David , I also own a pair of Sequel II that I just recently repaneled and had the woofers rebuilt.
have a good time on the forum

I second the interest in hearing what ML said about Emotiva since my entire system is Emotiva.

Thanks,

Dominick

Hi David,

Welcome and congradulations on finally aquiring a set of ML's.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the welcome!
Regarding Emotiva, a gentleman at Martin Logan mentioned that he and a few others liked the Emotiva preamp and power amp. He had a surround setup - I think a 5:1 whereas I got the stereo power amp. I listen to a lot of orchestral and acoustic instruments in the main part, but pretty much any type of music in general and have only had the volume at about a 1/4 way on the dial,

Preamp:http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm
Amplifier: http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

I will post my own question separately :)

David

Welcome David , I also own a pair of Sequel II that I just recently repaneled and had the woofers rebuilt.
have a good time on the forum

Since I am a neophyte - what were the signs that you needed to re-panel and replace the woofers? Do the 'stats lose strength after a while? ML did recommend using a vacuum (handheld brush) regularly.

Many thanks,

David

Since I am a neophyte - what were the signs that you needed to re-panel and replace the woofers? Do the 'stats lose strength after a while? ML did recommend using a vacuum (handheld brush) regularly.

Many thanks,

David

Hi David , I did not replace the woofers because ML no longer offers a direct replacement for our woofers.
They suggested a woofer they did have but it was not a drop in and needed some alterations to work which I was unwilling to entertain.

I went to a local shop here in Atlanta and they were able to match the componets exactly to the original specs and rebuilt my original woofers. I had a small chuffing sound coming from one of the voice coils that prompted me to recone them.

My panels began to lose the high end and one panel was louder than the other. I did vacuum them often and also took them into the shower for a bath with no better result . these panels were also the original panels verified by the serial numbers and over 15 years old.

I received my new panels a few months ago and what a difference the highs are back and their is no variance in the levels that I can hear . As a bonus the new panels have clear spars so the bars are almost invisible and lend to better eye appeal.

I am confident that they will last another 15 years.

Good luck with yours I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine.

Back