New DAC what should I get??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure to also check out Channel D Pure Music software. It is getting rave reviews and is less expensive than Amarra. The latest TAS has a great write up on it. They tested it with the Weiss DAC 202. I probably would have gone that route if I had known about it when I purchased Amarra, just because it is so much cheaper. As to which sounds better? Who knows, but TAS couldn't really tell. Also, be aware that now Amarra has less expensive versions, also.

Funny you should mention that, I found & downloaded a trial last night, first impressions very positive. Also, its so much cheaper than amarra, and no need for a ilok (whatever the hell one of those is!). I am still amazed at the sounds emerging from this set-up, and I'm a diehard LP man!

Just for ref, its partnered with an Accuphase E450 amp & Vantages.

And to the op, sorry......just realized you specified usb, but I'd urge you to compare a weiss if at all possible.

Thanks for the input I am going to go hear the PS audio for sure and also I agree on the ayre unit why only USB , I also will audition the Naim and Benchmark units

Merry Christmas to you all !!

Just FYI, I've been seriously enjoying the W4S DAC2 over these last several days... almost unnaturally so. It seems to do everything right. I've been throwing a slew of 16 and 24 bit files at it... 44.1, 48, 96, 192... and I even found/downloaded some 176.4 files today. The DAC2 has unflinchingly given nothing but love and musicality in return. I swear my system sounds better this evening than it did last night... and yes, even playing many of the same tunes. A really gorgeous rich presentation - something I normally would attribute to an extra glass of wine, or some sort of karmic electrical grid convergence... but I haven't touched a drop, and the PS Audio PPP is *supposed to* provide unfailingly pristine reconstituted AC - so the power grid thing seems like a stretch too.

You know what though? I'm enjoying the sound so much, I don't care why it's so good (and seemingly further improving). I'm just gonna bask in this lush sound-field while Christy Baron artfully interprets "Ain't no Sunshine" from the excellent and essential Audiophile Vocals compilation (which I assume most of you own in some format or another). BTW, I downloaded this album in 96/24 format from HDTracks - simply stellar!

And just to clarify, I'm not just saying this to justify this purchase to myself or sway anyone's opinion or direction. Simply sharing what to me seems like a marked increase in quality and enjoyment level. I've purchased components before that I've had high hopes for and they either impress (i.e. stay active in the system for some length of time) or they do not impress (boxed, stored, and/or put up for sale). This DAC is here for an extended visit.

Cheers

Attachments

• 51j3c55bWBL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51j3c55bWBL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 617
Thanks for the update , that is one that is on the top of my list!

What -exactly- does this Amarra software do to the digital output of your computer?

Basically it uses itunes as the gui/database, but takes over the audio side of things (better math they say on their website). I've not yet heard amarra, but the pure audio add on works very well, and also adds several useful features. One is playback from ram, another is the ability to play different res files at their correct res without fiddling about in itunes. Amarra does seem to be way over-priced, but then what have most of us blown on cables & such? I'm listening to Dr John's Anutha Zone on the mac/weiss right now, and I'm astonished to say I think it sounds at least the equal of my LP copy!

The W4S DAC2 just got a rave review from Steven Stone in the Feb Absolute Sound. He sums it up by saying it comes suprisingly close to the $6500 Weiss DAC 202. Definitely putting it on my "short list" of possible upgrades for 2011.

The W4S DAC2 just got a rave review from Steven Stone in the Feb Absolute Sound. He sums it up by saying it comes suprisingly close to the $6500 Weiss DAC 202. Definitely putting it on my "short list" of possible upgrades for 2011.

I was reading the computeraudiophile.com review of the 202 and experienced a sudden upper shift in the eyebrow area...

"Peaking inside the DAC202 one can see the nicely segregated main analog output stage. The DAC202 offers separate output stages for the main and headphone outputs. Weiss elected to use very good operational amplifiers (opamps) with a high slew rate, and a low impedance topology. According to Daniel this makes the DAC202 even more impervious to cabling and impedance mismatches between DAC and amplifier."

... everything I've ever read(in hifi) suggests opamps are inherently disadvantaged and inferior compared to well engineered discreet outputs. I've seen that same sentiment echoed within these hallowed forum walls more than a few times as well. Interesting that Weiss has *apparently* stumbled onto some sort of uber op-amp.

No offense to any Weiss owners... I just find it fascinating that (wrt op-amps) one man's hobbled shopping cart is another man's Lexus LFA. But then if it weren't for disparity in opinion, what fun would forums be?

Attachments

• imagesCA4SCY4X.jpg
    imagesCA4SCY4X.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 547
  • imagesCAIIS0ZH.jpg
    imagesCAIIS0ZH.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 559
What -exactly- does this Amarra software do to the digital output of your computer?

Magoo gave a good response, I think. I just know that on my system, with my ears, music sounds better with Amarra than without. I think a lot of professionals use Amarra in the creation of digital music. Amarra is continuously updating/improving their product and offers a free version update to owners.

I ended up ordering W4S DAC2 instead of the DAC1 and will receive it Monday! Looking forward to trying it out!

Magoo gave a good response, I think. I just know that on my system, with my ears, music sounds better with Amarra than without. I think a lot of professionals use Amarra in the creation of digital music. Amarra is continuously updating/improving their product and offers a free version update to owners.

I still don't really get it. "Better mathematics" is irrelevant because there is no computation of anything. We are talking about the simple transfer of 1s and 0s in a specific order. Unless computers get data wrong (which they don't) then I don't see what this software is actually doing.

Of course, the features may well be worth the effort.

Adam, isn't this the perfect opportunity to finally buy something from ARC - the DAC8? :devil:

You know I'd love to Bernard! I had a quick listen to the DAC8 a few months ago when I was in Sydney. Unfortunately I preferred the Perfectwave in most respects (it had an incisive "punch" and effortlessness that I really enjoyed). Given it is a lot less expensive, it is where I have my eyes set.

That said - I will certainly be having another listen to it before I make any decision. I do need to hear the Naim first though!

I still don't really get it. "Better mathematics" is irrelevant because there is no computation of anything. We are talking about the simple transfer of 1s and 0s in a specific order. Unless computers get data wrong (which they don't) then I don't see what this software is actually doing.

Of course, the features may well be worth the effort.

Thank - you. Very well put, there isn't even a transport. Makes one wonder why you would spend into the thousands on one of these before trying one of the affordable pieces that have been reviewed so much lately in the rags and on-line.

Doug - out

I had my mind made up and was about to pull the trigger on the WFS-dac2 per Todds excellent review but I came across a guy willing to sell me a brand new PS audio perfectwave DAC and Transport for $3650/$6000list this kind of changes my mindset a bit.
Does anyone have any experience with hearing both and or the perfectwave and can share their thoughts on it.

Thanks for any input

I had my mind made up and was about to pull the trigger on the WFS-dac2 per Todds excellent review but I came across a guy willing to sell me a brand new PS audio perfectwave DAC and Transport for $3650/$6000list this kind of changes my mindset a bit.
Does anyone have any experience with hearing both and or the perfectwave and can share their thoughts on it.

Thanks for any input

I haven't heard the PS Audio perfectwave DAC. I do have their Power Plant Premier, but that doesn't have quite the same frequency extension as their DAC ;)

One piece I read on the PWD, the reviewer felt that it was best to leave it in non-upsampled mode... all that extra processing wasn't helping (to paraphrase his intent). On the upside, the wireless bridging and music server functionality are pretty compelling (not to mention the price you're being offered).

Also, not sure if PS Audio allows for transfer of warranty? Either way, Make sure the seller has his papers in order.

Cheers!

I haven't heard the PS Audio perfectwave DAC. I do have their Power Plant Premier, but that doesn't have quite the same frequency extension as their DAC ;)

One piece I read on the PWD, the reviewer felt that it was best to leave it in non-upsampled mode... all that extra processing wasn't helping (to paraphrase his intent). On the upside, the wireless bridging and music server functionality are pretty compelling (not to mention the price you're being offered).

Also, not sure if PS Audio allows for transfer of warranty? Either way, Make sure the seller has his papers in order.

Cheers!

It is a brand new unit from a dealer so no warranty issues

Back