New DAC what should I get??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup... that's why I "settled" for the W4S DAC2. It has the latest D/A conversion, well engineered analog discreet output and all the features most anyone could want (excepting special HDMI buses, etc)... and it sounds incredible - irrespective of price (though I'm certainly jazzed it's only $1500).

Plus, I think it's one handsome little devil too. Oh, and on the question about DAC1 vs DAC2... while they both employ the same D/A, the DAC2 includes other higher quality build components (more and better caps at least).
Todd, are those cones a big improvement over the stock feet?

I'm loving my W4S DAC2! I've got 100 hours or more on it now and sounds great both with CDP and my squeezebox! Lots of flexibility with this unit.:music:

Can't wait. Too bad they dont keep inventory - there appears to be always a wait - but I guess thats part of the low cost model.

Have you compared CDP sound quality versus your squeezebox? I had done a bunch of comparisons when I first installed Sonos and I could not hear any differences but I also didnt have a $5k CD player. Would be curios how your SB compares to your CDP - with or without the W4S DAC

Todd, are those cones a big improvement over the stock feet?

Hi Bernard,

I don't know because I never tried the stock feet... but I do know that ever since I started paying close attention to vibration control (iso-feet, maple rack, platforms, cones, chassis dampeners, etc) the sound has improved substantially... so I automatically get "coniferous" with all my components, regardless of factory-feet.

Cheers

Have you compared CDP sound quality versus your squeezebox? I had done a bunch of comparisons when I first installed Sonos and I could not hear any differences but I also didn't have a $5k CD player. Would be curios how your SB compares to your CDP - with or without the W4S DAC

Right now I'm running optical out of my CDP (using a Denon 2900 as a transport)to the DAC2 and using coax from my squeezebox to the DAC2.

I do have the standard RCA audio outs from my CDP running to my preamp no DAC in that link. I hardly ever listen to the CDP this way.

The DAC2 improves the sound quality in all areas (very natural sound and great bass) over the CDP!

Churchill.

I will be running a very similar setup if I decide to pull the trigger. I have the 5900. Any changes in soundstage width and depth? I would think both of our players would have a similar denon house sound.

I will be running a very similar setup if I decide to pull the trigger. I have the 5900. Any changes in soundstage width and depth? I would think both of our players would have a similar denon house sound.

I think both; sitting here listening to new Gregg Allman "Low Country Blues" release, the instruments are easily placed with great soundstage and proper depth.:music:

Right now I'm running optical out of my CDP (using a Denon 2900 as a transport)to the DAC2 and using coax from my squeezebox to the DAC2.

I do have the standard RCA audio outs from my CDP running to my preamp no DAC in that link. I hardly ever listen to the CDP this way.

The DAC2 improves the sound quality in all areas (very natural sound and great bass) over the CDP!

What about the squeezebox versus the CDP - both playing through the DAC2?

What about the squeezebox versus the CDP - both playing through the DAC2?

Well, since I listen to my squeezebox about 97% of the time, I'm extremely happy with the sound and actually prefer listening through the squeezebox.

Back