new cleaning machine

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope the 16.5 does not go in both directions. That was why I bought the clearaudio about a year and a half ago. Before the economy took a dump, it was only 100 bucks more than a 16.5, so an easy choice. Now the Clear is 1000 and the 17.5 is 1250, but a 16.5 is only 550...

If you get a 16.5 and get tired of it, you can always trade up. Used ones go on audiogon for about 375 on a regular, so you won't lose that much money.

I am so confused I think the 16.5 would be good enough for me but I may feel that feeling that I should have bought the more expensive one later.
Sorry I caused the confusion by suggesting the 16.5, but since you indicated to me that you were looking for a new cartridge, I thought it best to point out the option of buying a cheaper RCM and a (possibly) better cartridge.

Sorry I caused the confusion by suggesting the 16.5, but since you indicated to me that you were looking for a new cartridge, I thought it best to point out the option of buying a cheaper RCM and a (possibly) better cartridge.

you are really correct Bernard your suggestion is really the logical one

I bought the 16.5 with the super package and got the Zerostat 3 Milty, wet brushes, extra vac tube, liner sleeves, cleaner fluids, etc. etc. I only had six albums at the time. Now I have around 250 albums and I've ordered more cleaning fluid. MoFi Plus Enzyme Cleaner. Don't forget to pick up an Onzow Zerodust. Looks like a big contact lens. Carefully press the needle in this and it takes any dust or grime off the stylus.

The VPI 16.5 sounds like a jet taking off! Love it!

Satch

well fellow Logan owners I broke down and ordered a VPI 17f I feel this thing is a real have to have. I am very thankful you all chimed in with your ideas and opinion it really helped me feel comfortable that I made the right choice.I also grabbed the THORENS 125TH ANNIVERSARY 180g 3LP thanks for the suggestion twitch54 in the music section.
we will have to see if this thing can really suck some scum of my discs or what.

Last edited:
I also grabbed the THORENS 125TH ANNIVERSARY 180g 3LP thanks for the suggestion twitch54 in the music section.

I just bought this too and the blues section is just awesome. This is all that I have heard so far, but I'm sure the rest will be the same result. Although for some reason the last song on the blues side has some distortion in his voice. Not sure why this is, but it is probably due to my cart. I will listen to the other lp's over the next couple of days to see if they all do it on my setup. If it continues then I will check with my dealer if his table does the same thing. I'm pretty sure though it's not the record. They took alot of care to make this and you can really tell when you open it. I like just looking at it.:D

Glen

Goodbye Koetsu ? :(

I think not buddy! the Koetsu is defiantly on my list of upgrades but after much research and just common sense I believe it would not be prudent to use a Koetsu on all but the most clean records. for now I am enjoying my Ortofon.

you're going to need a much better table before a Koetsu makes sense...

here's something you might really enjoy and it's pretty reasonably priced:

Very musical. A great match with your MC2300 and table too!

Once you get your records nice and clean you won't have to worry about what to play em on.

Enjoy!

Fish Man, I owned a VPI 16.5 for quite a few years but changed to a Loricraft PRC3 several years ago soon after they showed at CES. The difference in results was stunning. The Loricraft costs quite a bit more today but has little competition. That said, the VPI is a good value.

If you'd like to check out the Loricraft just for kicks, give me a call, I'll be happy to clean a few of your records which you can listen to here and at home.

Fish Man, I owned a VPI 16.5 for quite a few years but changed to a Loricraft PRC3 several years ago soon after they showed at CES. The difference in results was stunning. The Loricraft costs quite a bit more today but has little competition. That said, the VPI is a good value.

If you'd like to check out the Loricraft just for kicks, give me a call, I'll be happy to clean a few of your records which you can listen to here and at home.

I sort of like to have as much of my gear match as possible and that is one reason for the VPI. they make some of my favorite tables it also seemed to be one of the most respected cleaners around.

you're going to need a much better table before a Koetsu makes sense...

here's something you might really enjoy and it's pretty reasonably priced:

Very musical. A great match with your MC2300 and table too!

Once you get your records nice and clean you won't have to worry about what to play em on.

Enjoy!

you know tonepub you are correct that is why I did not get to crazy with the cartridge I have know I think it matches the table just fine I would never put a Koetsu on the table I have know. although i really like the way it sounds now it totally smokes my cd players I only have a few recordings I still really enjoy on cd.for just casual jamming the cd's are great but when I want to hear my system really sing I throw on the records (most of the time now).

I sort of like to have as much of my gear match as possible and that is one reason for the VPI. they make some of my favorite tables it also seemed to be one of the most respected cleaners around.
I hear you regarding appearance. I tend toward form follows function and top performance. My record cleaner isn't in the same room, even though it is quiet enough to use while listening to music...that was a big plus after the 16.5, though the results were even more impressive.

well I just got my cleaning machine. I have cleaned about 8 discs
I just used the cleaning juice that came with it. first of all it cleans my old records really well I had a couple of really bad ones it really removed a lot of noise and dirt a huge improvement in my opinion now I can happily listen to them and they sound much better. as for the new ones I just cleaned a Bob Dylan's greatest hits in mono. the dark backdrop just became much darker and the sound much more clear. Dylan's voice on "blowin' in the wind" is enchanting in my darkly lit room its so clear the space between tracks is very silky smooth.just using it a while I will say it is almost a must to have some kind of cleaning machine.

Last edited:
....just using it a while I will say it is almost a must to have some kind of cleaning machine.

I wholeheartedly agree. Even new vinyl will need a spin on your cleaning machine as well. Glad you are enjoying it.

Glen

Record Cleaning Machines: Clear up Discs or Muddy the Waters?

I have enjoyed this thread as it progressed. My first RCM was a VPI 16.5. It did a decent job but when the motor died (after about 15 years), I replaced it with a 17. I liked the automated fluid dispensing function but noted that the vacuum tube did not like records with a slght warp (as many of the newer issues are). I considered the Keith Monks system as it is regarded as the best in the business by many sources. Then I read a review of the Loricraft PRC-3 which uses a similar threaded arm vacuum principle. I have compared both the VPI 17 with the Loricraft on the same records. While the latter takes longer to cover the record surface and requires manual fluid application, it does an audibly better job of removing groove grunge. Further, because the thread keeps the arm from direct contact with the record and is changed with each application, there is no fear of residue build up over time. I use Bugg-Tussel Premier to pre-clean records and then the Smart cleaning solutions that come with the Loricraft. The PRC-3 runs about $2500.00. For more information, you can check their website: http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/loricraft.html
I have had this device for 3 years and cleaned hundreds of records without problems.

Odyssey RCM MKV $7500

Here is a keith Monks based design.

Attachments

• 1184570880.jpg
    1184570880.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 1184571050.jpg
    1184571050.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3,415
I have enjoyed this thread as it progressed. My first RCM was a VPI 16.5. It did a decent job but when the motor died (after about 15 years), I replaced it with a 17. I liked the automated fluid dispensing function but noted that the vacuum tube did not like records with a slght warp (as many of the newer issues are). I considered the Keith Monks system as it is regarded as the best in the business by many sources. Then I read a review of the Loricraft PRC-3 which uses a similar threaded arm vacuum principle. I have compared both the VPI 17 with the Loricraft on the same records. While the latter takes longer to cover the record surface and requires manual fluid application, it does an audibly better job of removing groove grunge. Further, because the thread keeps the arm from direct contact with the record and is changed with each application, there is no fear of residue build up over time. I use Bugg-Tussel Premier to pre-clean records and then the Smart cleaning solutions that come with the Loricraft. The PRC-3 runs about $2500.00. For more information, you can check their website: http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/loricraft.html
I have had this device for 3 years and cleaned hundreds of records without problems.

Ditto. The machine gregadd showed is handled by Axiss Distribution. I believe it sells for about $6500.

Cheap and cheerful, dramatically effective:

1) Get a dirty (not scratched, but dirty) record. Play it and assess it's "noisyness". Look at how dirty it appears in good light.
2) Purchase 2 microfibre e-cloths.
3) Boil the kettle and let it cool.
4) Pour the water into a cup, and add a little Fairy Liquid (washing up liquid).
5) Take one e-cloth, wet in in the cup.
6) Place your record on a clean tea towel.
7) Wipe the record with the damp cloth in a circular motion - it should naturally follow the groove. Avoid the label - which turns out to be pretty easy.
8) Apply firm but not unreasonable pressure.
9) Take the dry e-cloth, and wipe it around the record in a similar manner to 7).
10) Do the other side.
11) Inspect the record - it looks brilliantly clean, no? If you missed a bit, just re-work it.
12) Play it. Fall over at how effective it was!:)

De-ionised water is probably best, but if you do what I just said above, you will be amazed. I know I was - I just tried it after reading a Pink Fish media thread. My deeply treasured, but through the years dirty, copy of UB40's Madam Medusa 12 inch now sounds utterly wonderful!

Buy the best microfibre cloths you can get - not sure if they have e-cloths in the USA.

Maybe this should have been a separate thread, because it works far better than you would believe!

I've tried washing records before the advent of microfibre cloths, and it was a disaster. This works brilliantly.

Last edited:
Back