Network Music Players

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InterMechanico

Reaction score
I recently began thinking about streaming music from my laptop (thanks Adam), and how best to accomplish the task. I have networking capability in my HT Receiver (Yamaha RX-A1010) which I'm going to try out this morning. I did, however, find what I think is an extraordinary deal at Crutchfield.com for Yamaha's NP-S2000. If I'm not happy with the sound from my receiver, I'm going to spring for one of these units as it was designed to match up perfectly with my amplifier (Yamaha A-S2000). I know some of you are skeptical of Yamaha`s ability to build decent gear, but I can attest to the quality of both the A-S-2000 and CD-S2000 that I own, and I`m sure the NP-S2000 is no different.

I thought I'd pass the link along to all of you. Some of you may be interested. As of Oct.9th, they had 9 units left in stock. The price was effective for those units.

Yamaha-NP-S2000-01.jpg
[/IMG

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022NPS2000/Yamaha-NP-S2000.html?showAll=N&search=np-s2000&skipvs=T

NP-S2000-003.jpg

Last edited:
New purchase!!!!!!

Results:

Setting up my network was fairly straight forward. Control is convenient and difficult at the same time.

I ran the setup as follows:
Source- Music from my laptop (flac, wav, mp3) sent wirelessly or tethered through my Network Router, which is (tethered) to-
Network Player- Built into my A/V receiver (Yamaha RX-A1010), using Pre Out (RCA) to-
Integrated Amplifier- (Yamaha A-S2000) Main Direct inputs.

Thus: Digital files received by AVR, converted by Burr Brown twin DAC's , Pre-Amplified by AVR, analog signal amplified by the A-S2000, Output to ML Vistas.

Result: Flac files do not register on AVR (wireless or tethered)
WAV files play improperly, 3 seconds at a time (wireless or tethered)
MP3 files play properly. Sound quality is good, as far as that goes. Imaging is decent, dynamic range is lacking (expected) when compared to same track played by CD-S2000 SACD

Overall: Unsatisfactory. But I expected that, and in all honesty, hoped it would be :banana:.

I have ordered a matching NP-S2000 music Server that should arrive in a week or so. Very excited and could not pass it up for the price ($899.00 US, Crutchfield, Reg.$1799).

I looked at the build quality, taking into account the (2) S2000 components I already own, the grade of the components employed, and I fully expect to be very satisfied with it's integration into my system.

The only irritation is the single pair of balanced inputs on my Amplifier. I suppose I'll need to choose which component will occupy them (SACD or Network Player). Any suggestions on that? I'm not sure which I'll use more often at this point.

The one function that I'll miss about the AVR is the onscreen display (TV), which makes browsing less frustrating (it's a pretty rudimentary system). I'll need to use an Android or iOS tablet or phone to navigate my library.

7071924585_98221a080a_z.jpg

I have ordered a matching NP-S2000 music Server that should arrive in a week or so. Very excited and could not pass it up for the price ($899.00 US, Crutchfield, Reg.$1799)]

Congrats on the purchase!

A few things:

1. You'll probably find things run a whole lot more smoothly if you have at least one end (preferably the server end) as a wired connection. Wireless congestion was no doubt the problem you were having with the .WAV files.

2. Apropos of the balanced outputs - I think you'll find you hardly touch the SACD player when you get this. But obviously it does depend on the quality of your digital library (MP3/FLAC/high res, as obviously if you are mostly listening to MP3 through this thing then the SACD will still leave it for dead). But as you end up with more 24/96 and 24/192 files the SACD player will probably end up in the garage :)

3. Tablet/phone is definitely the way to navigate the library and I think you'll soon appreciate not having to have the TV/display turned on all the time :)

4. For future upgrades, you can always connect this to a DAC too.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase.
I was seriously considering this Yamaha unit at one point. It's a fine DAC, but it's too limited in its flexibility:
  1. No digital inputs of any kind.
  2. No local playback via USB connection.
  3. Questionable navigation app on smartphone or tablets.
Spec wise, it is a very well designed and executed DAC from Yamaha. I just cannot overlook its limitations. If it works for you, well then, ENJOY!!

Thanks Guys!

Adam, I have high hopes for this unit, and look forward to the convenience it will provide, while improving sound quality. I'm sure you're correct about needing a wired connection. I'm going to do that this morning and see if it'll work a little better. I'm also going to try out some Internet Radio, which is brand new to me :D.

Spike, you're spot on when it comes to the lack of inputs. I am a little disappointed by that too. It would be nice to make use of that great DAC in other ways. When making the decision to run with this, I factored in the following:

- I have only ever used my DacMagic to stream music from my laptop, and most devices now use wireless so wired connection not necessary (for me), except when streaming HQ files
- My CD-S2000 SACD transport uses the same DACs (Burr Brown) as the NP-S2000, so I don't require the NP-S2000's DAC for my cd transport
- The balanced output of the NP-S2000 operates at the correct voltage for my A-S2000 Integrated Amplifier; 2.0 Volts, which is roughly half the voltage of standard XLR circuits.
- I had a bit of difficulty when I first connected my DACMagic to my A-S2000, the difficulty being a lot of distortion caused by the gain in running a 4.5 volt signal into an amplifier that operates at 2.0 volts :eek:.

I'm told that Yamaha did this (reduced input voltage) to further reduce Total Harmonic Distortion. The caveat is, the components work exceedingly well with each other, producing stunning sound reproduction (imaging, clarity, dynamic range (IMO)), but do not really play well with others :rolleyes:.

I'll update when I'm up and running!

PJM- You're absolutely correct. At that price point I had many options, and have to this point passed on the NP-S2000. However, I've only paid $900.00 (NIB, Full Warranty), and because of the perfect compatibility with my amplifier (listed above), It's a great fit for me.
Also, it is my opinion, based on hands on experience, that this series (S2000) of Yamaha components are great value, and are very high quality. I've demo'd quite a few equally priced components (Integrated amplifiers, SACD Players), and build quality was generally not in the same league. Having said that, I think there are so many great products to choose from these days, and it can be tough to settle on the perfect one.

For example, for $900.00 US, I could have bought the PS Audio NuWave DAC. I've compared the two products, and IMHO :), I get a lot more with the Yamaha.

The Yamaha has 2 separate Burr Brown DACs (one per channel) instead of the NuWaves' one Chip,
It also incorporates separate power supplies for the digital and analog sections and
It doesn't require any additional accessories to act as a Network Player
In addition, the Yamaha is fully balanced (both channels are completely separate)

To make a fair comparison, I think the PerfectWave DAC ($4000.00 US) would be more appropriate. I would be surprised if the PerfectWave DAC didn't blow the doors off the NP-2000 too, considering it's flexibility, but it is $3100.00 US more money. I suspect the sound quality would not be greatly improved though.
-

Last edited:
Up And Running

!!!!!!!!:D:D:D!!!!!!!!

First thoughts on the NP-S2000 are:

To start with, the Media Player is very heavy; it's 25 lbs. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I'll admit that I'm impressed. For now, I've decided to connect it via the balanced inputs on the amplifier, placing the SACD player into the land of unbalanced. Setup was a breeze; it literally started playing music from my laptop within 20 seconds. I first tried to navigate my library with the basic interface, but it was painfully slow. The NP-S2000 came with TwonkyServer, so once I had installed it AND stopped trying to open it like a media player :eek:, everything started meshing very well. Album lists load super fast and without fault. I've ordered an NAS hard drive (3TB) to use as my music storage, which will be tethered to my router. I'm still working on getting my 96khz tracks to play properly from my laptop. Perhaps I can set my network connection preference to Ethernet.

As far as sound quality, my preliminary impressions are as follows, and are compared to USB thru DACMagic via unbalanced interconnects:

Imaging seems to be perfect (I know, I know, I need to spend much more time listening before making that statement)
I would say that clarity and detail have improved, but overall coherence seems to be much better. Could be a clocking improvement? Any bright tendencies have been reduced or removed. The music is breezy (please don't hit me.lol. My audio vocabulary is somewhat limited) and wide open (not crowded?)

So far, I am very impressed with the np-s2000. Build quality is high grade. For what I paid (900.00), I'd recommend this in an instant. Honestly, I feel like I should have bought this a year ago. Also, I'm confident that a large company such as Yamaha will continue to support the product (firmware, Codecs) for the foreseeable future.

Customer service and shipping by Crutchfield was above reproach. Would recommend them wholeheartedly as well, but that's probably not necessary.

Listening to Sarah Jarosz - Build Me Up from Bones (Thank You Churchill!), and Yes Yes Yes, imaging is super fine indeed

Very Happy:rocker:

Last edited:
Many congrats on getting your Yamy streamer set-up!! I am going through the same experience as you are, albeit with a Naim streamer instead of Yamaha. I have not touch the silver discs in a while now. There's something to be said for sitting down and having your entire library at your finger tip (figuratively via iPhone/iPad).

For what I paid (900.00), I'd recommend this in an instant. Honestly, I feel like I should have bought this a year ago.
But if you would have gotten it last year, you'd pay about $1700 for it, not the current price tag of $900!

Thanks Spike. As you can tell, I'm very pleased with my new addition to the family.

But if you would have gotten it last year, you'd pay about $1700 for it, not the current price tag of $900!

I realize that. I think it would have been worth it. At the current price, with the seamless integration into my system, it was a no-brainer. What are you using?

Honestly, I feel like I should have bought this a year ago.

I know what you mean! I was one of the first into this (2006), but I've felt like that for a while - I can't imagine shuffling physical discs in and out in order to listen to music - seems to Neanderthal!

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I guess these days Sonos is kind of a dirty word? I picked up a Connect about 4 months ago and absolutely love it. What are the major advantages to going with one of these units? All my flac files are CD quality btw.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I guess these days Sonos is kind of a dirty word? I picked up a Connect about 4 months ago and absolutely love it. What are the major advantages to going with one of these units? All my flac files are CD quality btw.

If you're happy with the Sonos, then that's all that matters. I purchased the NP-S2000 because it does a great job with high resolution files, and it was built to complement my amplifier. It was also half price. I use mine with an NAS Hard Drive for convenience, since Ethernet is the only way to reproduce Hi_RES, on my unit, anyhow. Wireless won't cut it.

The advantage of these type of purpose built units is the sound quality they can handle.

I'm closely watching the new AURALiC streamer that will available in May. It will wirelessly stream ANY format, including 2X DSD!

Nothing wrong with Sonos at all. They're fantastic. The only issue is that they will only play 16bit/44.1 (redbook) files - nothing higher. But if you've only got CDs and don't intend on getting any high-res downloads in the future the you don't have an issue.

Nothing wrong with Sonos at all. They're fantastic. The only issue is that they will only play 16bit/44.1 (redbook) files - nothing higher. But if you've only got CDs and don't intend on getting any high-res downloads in the future the you don't have an issue.

I really like my Sonos and have three zones in the house. Lately though, in the music room, I find myself using it less and less for the reason Adam mentions above. Once you start listening to Hi Rez the limitations become a little more obvious. Still, for a whole house solution, the UI and convenience is great.

Back