Neolith Purchase Order Has Been Placed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, what happened to the Meridian? Aren't you doing the whole MCH thing?

No I'm not giving up MCH. I had the 861 v6 out for upgrade. It's back and I will be back on 7.1 as soon as I finish my evaluation. I have successfully added the 5th Theater to the array. I was unsuccessful at going to a two way system so I'm still using a tweeter and I crossover from panels to tweeter at 10kHz. I should have everything in order by early July. So if you're coming to Vegas try to make it after July.

Gary

For the first track, the very first sounds of the Neolith after they were hooked up I chose Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" from LIVE AT SIN-E. This is one of my standard test sources. Additionally, this piece sounds great on panels and I didn't want to start with anything that might break my heart. I knew they would sound good but I wasn't quite ready for what transpired over the next eight minutes. The four people in the room went dead silent and motionless for the entire piece. It was as if Buckley was singing into a mic directly in front of us. When his voice cracked I could feel him work to bring it back. When he held long notes you could sense the push to complete the note. The decay of the individual guitar strings and the constant hum from his amp give a nice "you are there" touch. When Buckley finished and the audience was clapping I looked at the others and just said "wow".

Gary

Last edited:
Gary - that's a lot of fine lookin kit. Very interested in your impressions of the different amps. This looks like a lot of fun. Tim

Gary - that's a lot of fine lookin kit. Very interested in your impressions of the different amps. This looks like a lot of fun. Tim

Tim, me too. I had to go back to LA early Sunday. As I have said earlier I'm a Clippers season ticket holder and the Clips open their playoff run tonight against the Spurs. I am having too much fun all at the same time. I will have something that surprised me about amplification shortly. My plan is to familiarize myself across all genres with the McIntosh then switch to the Bryston 28B's and give a little time to Pass Labs. Then I will do Passive bi-amping using the Brystons over McIntosh and McIntosh over Brystons. If anyone wants me to try something like a piece of music, high volume, low volume please speak up.

Gary

My second song was Johnny Cash, "Hurt" The Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) work that seemed a great choice for Cash at the end of his life. As expected the SQ was great. It took me longer to get through my material than I had anticipated because I would play the song a number of times which was anticipated but I also found myself listening to a number of additional songs on each disc. I played Barb Unger, Melody Gardot, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington... All results were excellent.

On to the Game. More later.

Gary

I had to learn the Cash version on the acoustic... playing a basic version is actually quite simple but that Cash version is cleverly done. I doubt he played what you hear on the recording TBH there seems to be a couple of acoustics in the mix that are played very nimbly.

You could always try and get through The Downward Spiral at 90DB odd just for kicks:D I was a big NIN fan for years but less so these days. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile had me totally hooked!

TBH though the fact he did Hurt is pretty heart ripping. Not exactly the most joyful way to depart.

Tim, me too. I had to go back to LA early Sunday. As I have said earlier I'm a Clippers season ticket holder and the Clips open their playoff run tonight against the Spurs. I am having too much fun all at the same time. I will have something that surprised me about amplification shortly. My plan is to familiarize myself across all genres with the McIntosh then switch to the Bryston 28B's and give a little time to Pass Labs. Then I will do Passive bi-amping using the Brystons over McIntosh and McIntosh over Brystons. If anyone wants me to try something like a piece of music, high volume, low volume please speak up.

Gary
Gary,

Here are some pieces to try:

- Richard Strauss, "Also Sprach Zarathustra", for the bass drum thwacks and the organ, in the intro. But don't stop listening there as it segues into some gorgeous, lyrical music after.

- That old warhorse, the 1812 Overture, for the bells and canons.

- Carmina Burana (the Ozawa/Boston version). Just before the finale ("O Fortuna"), there is a thick orchestral/choral texture, and an orchestral bell that floats above it, independent of all the "noise". It's great to hear that bell.

- You may not be into Spanish vocals, but try Laura Fygi's "The Latin Touch". It's on XRCD, and sounds really good.

- Also on XRCD, "Esther". The diction, albeit German, in the first track, "Kinderspiele", is superb.

- "Suerte" by Abed Arie and Pedro Aledo (Spanish/Arabic) has a lot of flamenco (handclaps and heels). Really nicely done.

I gather the speaker is great at normal/high volume, but how does it do on quiet solo piano? Try something like Murray Perahia playing Schubert's "Ständchen" (the famous serenade). His interpretation is phenomenal. I heard him play it live, as an encore. It alone was worth the price of entry.

I could probably go on endlessly......

You could always try and get through The Downward Spiral at 90DB odd just for kicks:D I was a big NIN fan for years but less so these days. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile had me totally hooked!

Justin, I have Downward Spiral and Fragile but my favorite NIN is "Closer to God". I played "Closer" at high volume pushing the limits of the amp. It was great. When the lion roars I actually jumped. I'll get out my meter and check SPL in the future.

Gary

Bernard, Nice list. I am a Richard Strauss fan and will put "Also Sprach Zarathustra" on my test list. I think it's a great choice. "1812 Overture" is already queued up and waiting its turn. I'll also look up your Spanish suggestions. I started my Classical selections with the 1963 Karajan Beethoven seventh symphony. For me no one does Beethoven like Karajan. True story, when I put it on I thought of you. I believe his '63 series was his finest especially the 7th and 9th. When I was at university in 1971 I had the opportunity to take a Beethoven class as part of my humanities requirements. Amazing that I was getting credit for something I loved. I picked up a copy of all nine of course on vinyl at that time. That may have helped in my particular bias. My system did not disappoint.

Gary

Bernard, Nice list. I am a Richard Strauss fan and will put "Also Sprach Zarathustra" on my test list. I think it's a great choice. "1812 Overture" is already queued up and waiting its turn. I'll also look up your Spanish suggestions. I started my Classical selections with the 1963 Karajan Beethoven seventh symphony. For me no one does Beethoven like Karajan. True story, when I put it on I thought of you. I believe his '63 series was his finest especially the 7th and 9th. When I was at university in 1971 I had the opportunity to take a Beethoven class as part of my humanities requirements. Amazing that I was getting credit for something I loved. I picked up a copy of all nine of course on vinyl at that time. That may have helped in my particular bias. My system did not disappoint.

Gary

I have ended up with a gf whose mother gifted her all of Beethoven's symphonies as a gift on her 18th birthday (she is not 18 now though). She is not an audiophile but in college bought a small TT to connect to her tiny speakers so that she could listen to some vinyl. She and I went for a John Gardiner Beethoven 5th concert once, he does Beethoven with a small scale orchestra and period instruments, so cleaner but less power, which I did not like but she preferred. Another seasoned classical listener who has been going to concerts for 50 years insists Beethoven should be done with a smaller orchestra.

Gary
Gary, I agree about Karajan's 1963 recordings being the best, except for the 6th, where the maestro sounds like he's in a rush to get to his next appointment. I much prefer Karl Böhm for it. Wish I could listen to the 5th and 9th on your system.

I'm biased too as I picked up all 9 on vinyl in my first foray into classical music. I trust you have the Triple Concerto and the Choral Fantasia.

Gary, I agree about Karajan's 1963 recordings being the best, except for the 6th, where the maestro sounds like he's in a rush to get to his next appointment. I much prefer Karl Böhm for it. Wish I could listen to the 5th and 9th on your system.

I'm biased too as I picked up all 9 on vinyl in my first foray into classical music. I trust you have the Triple Concerto and the Choral Fantasia.

Bohm is sloow - isn't it the longest of the lot too, for the ninth?

I was referring to Böhm's 6th, not his 9th.

I don't like the way Karajan rushes through the 6th. It's supposed to be a pastoral symphony, where everything is relaxed, not one where the maestro is in a rush to pilot his jet back home.

I have about six or seven recordings of the sixth, as I really like it, and, believe me, Böhm's is the best.

BTW, Gary, I'm honored that you thought of me!

Yep, The Bohm runs something like 78 minutes and by comparison the Karajan '63 is just over 66 minutes. The first time I heard the Bohm version I was frustrated but as I've aged I appreciate as an occasional listen.

Gary

So Gary -- I have to ask... how do the logans like that tiled floor? You are on ceramic tile? I ask because I am thinking of a basement room... and don't think tile would be forgiving enough... I have had my speakers on carpet and hard wood w area rugs.... Sounds bigger on the hard wood -- but more refined / close miked on the carpet... if that makes any sense...... BTW, did you start out with the Mac 1.2Kw??

Tim,
That Tile area was carpeted until about a year ago and after that I had a large area rug from the front of the speakers to beyond the first listening point. I removed the rug about a month ago. Ultimately, the rug may come back but I'm not yet sure. I was ok with the tile and didn't feel any need to tone it down. Time will tell. The room is 43 feet long as it goes back into a bar area. There is plenty of wood, drapes etc. to absorb some of the waves. The ceiling is 12 feet high.

Yes I have started out with the MC 1.2KW's. That is an error on my part as I am more familiar with the big Bryston's. I will convert to the Bryston's this weekend and replay the music.

Gary

Gary, are you planning to replace the casters under the speakers with something else after you've decided on the final position?

BTW I thought that the painting in the picture of you with the speaker was a famous Renoir, until I looked closely!

When I have the speakers broke in and have resolved the final resting place, Mike Ware will return and spike them for me.

The picture is pop artist Leroy Neimin's Roulette II.

Gary

Last edited:
There was a thread that appeared on AVS Forum in November of last year started by Mark Henninger. It was essentially a mini review of the Neoliths based on their first appearance in the Truth in Sound program.

Here's a link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...ogan-demonstrates-neolith-speaker-system.html

Initially Mark had many nice things to say about the speaker but ultimately made some significantly negative remarks about the bass and the narrow sweet spot. On the sweet spot I say welcome to planar speakers. Of course room set-up and acoustics can do a lot to widen your image. I found these large panels to have a larger sweet spot than the CLX or Aeon-I or the Prodigy's that I own. Jonathan made a couple of well written posts trying to teach Mr. Henninger about proper set-up of di-poles but I don't think Mark was listening.

As for the comments on the bass response, it is Marks opinion that a full range speaker must have a frequency response of at least 16 Hz to 20,000 Hz. And the Neoliths low end frequency goes down to 23 Hz. For those of you who read Stereophile Magazine it's worth noting they consider any speaker that goes as low as 28 Hz to be full range. In his mini review Mark suggests the user simply add a sub or two to extend the bass and pick up those final few Hz. Mark's comments have lead me to pay careful attention to the bass and I added a few musical selections with very low bass that includes a few 16 Hz notes.

Gary

Back