Neolith Purchase Order Has Been Placed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the Neolith sounded much more consistent than the smaller MLs off axis. Much more.

What is the actual rating? 23Hz -6DB or -3DB? My UMIK minDSP says I get 21Hz +/- 0DB in room. It would be worth getting a test mic to see what you actually have in your room. It may be markedly different from the spec.

That's -3dB at 23 Hz. For a number of years I have been using the Omni Mic to analyze my sound. It's easy to use and not expensive. About a month ago it stopped working. I tried to reinstall but... I'll try again or replace as I like to verify what I think I hear.

In my opinion, the reviewers remark about full-range requiring response down to 16 and not 23 is beyond stupid. A speaker that measures flat to 16 an-echoic will have huge bass-peaks in-room.

I agree that it would be interesting to see the in-room response of the Neolith, but honestly, i would be very surprised if they don't measure down to 16 in room.

Martin Logan makes some of the best subs in the world, they know a thing or two about how to design a speaker that plays low bass. Neolith is a cost-no-object design. I tend to think they designed it like they did because it is what sounded, measured, and worked best. The idea of adding a sub just to cover the range below 20 Hz seem to me daft at best, and almost insultingly arrogant towards the Martin Logan engineers at worst.

Somewhere around 10:00 PM after 8 hours of some of my favorite music, I decided it was time to crank it up for some pure fun. I put on Drake's "Started From the Bottom", cranked up the volume to take in the full 1.200 KW's and I began to chant (I'm too sophisticated to rap :ROFL:) and even though I was alone I modified the words to fit for me and be socially acceptable. It just seemed appropriate timing.

"I started from the bottom but I'm here right now.
I started from the bottom but I'm here right now."...

The bass really opened up. Pounding my chest with SPL galore. The explicit lyrics ripping through my body and imprinting themselves on my mind. It was clear, clean (sound), breathtaking. Neoliths alone. No external subs. Incredible! To quote a major contributor on the design team "These speakers don't need no stinking subs". I agree. My congratulations to the entire MartinLogan team. These speakers are amazing.

About 10 minutes into the album the amps shut down. One thousand two hundred watts of power and it was not enough. I let the amps cool for a few minutes and then proceeded at a more modest level. I sent Mike Ware an email regarding the shut down and he responded, "Looks like you're having fun". That was an understatement.

Gary

Last edited:
Yep, The Bohm runs something like 78 minutes and by comparison the Karajan '63 is just over 66 minutes. The first time I heard the Bohm version I was frustrated but as I've aged I appreciate as an occasional listen.

Gary
Part of the problem is that Karajan is known for ignoring repeats. I don't know if Bohm observes them.

Part of the problem is that Karajan is known for ignoring repeats. I don't know if Bohm observes them.

I must have forgotten the ignores repeats part in class. During my youth I would often skip the slower second movement on symphonies and just play the 1st 3rd and 4th. Now, very often, the second movements are my favorites.

Gary

Hello Gary? Can you hear anything?:ROFL:
Actually, I'm concerned about his hearing!

Recently, when watching fireworks, I was wondering if speakers would be able to reproduce the massive thump you get in the chest when some fireworks go off. I guess the Neoliths do that, from Gary's description.

The Brystons should do the trick.

I'll be switching amps some time on Saturday. I'm very interested in the sonic variations. I should have started with the Brystons. And now I realize I should have taken some spl readings for better comparison. So I'll need to take some measurements now.

Gary

what a fun ride this is following along as you discover what these beauties can do... I think we need to have a group listening party in Vegas once they get all dialed in! :rocker:

What is doing my head in is how a 1.2KW amp can have any difficulty with a 90DB speaker. Something odd going on.

Back