Need HELP! Sequel II sound problems?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Reaction score
I installed my Sequel II today (original owner said one speaker was bad). This was just a quick install- receiver, amp, cables, and speaker. This is how I'm running:

signal
Pioneer Elite 84
Monster Cable RCA (like I said quick install)
Sunfire Symphonic Reference Amp
Audioquest Type 6 Biwires
Sequel II with -3db switched

I used the processor in the Pioneer and it helped the sound out greatly! Now my question is- all the sound seems to be coming from the woofer- bass and treble. So is that how these supposed to sound? I heard some vistas and I could hear the sound coming from the upper panels- I cant now with my Sequels. Dont get me wrong they sound good (wouldnt need a sub right now!) but I'm not getting blown away like I was with the vistas.
Thanks all!
Nik

Hi Nik, don't worry, probably something straightforward.

First, the simplest question: Are the speakers plugged into the AC power?

Without the polarizing voltage to the panel, they will not emit sound (but the woofer will still work).
Sequels did not have 'pilot' lights for the AC, so it's hard to tell if they are getting juice or not.

Second, you mention bi-wire cable, so the question is: did you connect the leads correctly at the speaker end? (hot to hot, ground to ground, for both high and low inputs, with the bridge strap removed).

Also, on the amp side, both wires are coming off the same amp terminals?

(please check diagrams listed in the manuals for how to do bi-wire).

If the orginal owner said one speaker was 'bad', did they teall you exactly what was 'bad' about it? That might help triage this quicker.

Everything was plugged into my Monster Power 5100 Sig. Series. Everything else was powered up so I would only imagine that the MLs were- switched power and constant power were on. :confused: The speakers were hooked up as best as I could tell- the type 6 Bi-wire were labeled and not even lengths for treble and bass cables so I had those hooked up per the speaker wires and I did remove the bridging straps (jumpers?).
As far as the "bad" goes just said the speaker panel needs to be replaced.
HELP!

Nik,

To better determine the problem, let's eliminate the bi-wire connection form the equation, as it adds complexity.

Put the jumper straps back on the speakers, and only connect a single speaker cable to the High input (top pair) per speaker. (remember to disconnect the unused bi-wire from the amp as well).

This is guaranteed to deliver amp signals to the panel, so assuming they work at all, you should hear sound from the panel, and if the jumper strap is on correctly, from the woofer as well.

Now, the panel needing replacement, did the previous owner tell if it worked at all?

Finally, if the test above worked (both speakers generate sound from panel and woofer), then you have a wiring mix up with the bi-wire.

Back