Need an honest discussion here.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say the driver's went bad? Do you mean the 8 inch woofers? They should be easily replaced if you need to.

What about the panel? If you change one, you have to do both. I know it's big dollars, but the cost of changing both panels would restore your speakers to near new condition. Even for the increased price of panels these days, it would be virtually impossible to buy another speaker brand even half as good for that kind of money.

I say, bite the bullet and fix your Vistas...

Thegainster,
I understand your frustration about pleasure/pain of owning Vistas very well as I went from panels replacement to three times woofers change (one time only was my fault) and also faulty PS board.
If you do the reality check there's not much to choose from in this price range. If I ever change ML it would be to Wilson Sophia as I heard it some time ago and was very pleased with it. Keeping in mind that old Wilson's models woofer replacement cost is also very high!!!!

Thegainster,
I understand your frustration about pleasure/pain of owning Vistas very well as I went from panels replacement to three times woofers change (one time only was my fault) and also faulty PS board.
If you do the reality check there's not much to choose from in this price range. If I ever change ML it would be to Wilson Sophia as I heard it some time ago and was very pleased with it. Keeping in mind that old Wilson's models woofer replacement cost is also very high!!!!

$4500 + $966 + $966 + $ for ps + $x2 for drivers = $7000.00ish

That's a pretty good set o speakers... :)

I'm thinking of selling my ML Vista's and going with a driver type system I've had some bad luck with them and it's getting costly.

Things I love... imaging... nutural sound... openess. I have 2 subs so HT is done.

Help.....:eek:

15 or so years ago, I picked up my first panel speaker and I was hooked for life. I've owned a lot of very good cone speakers as well over many audio years, but to my ears, nothing beats a good panel. They all sound different and I've owned several panels from 4 major manufacturers, and I can't say enough about how much I enjoy my Monolith's.
Even if you decide to let your current ones go, don't think they will all give you this much trouble. I've had very little to no issues with any of mine and will never go back to the monkey coffin speaker. There's nothing like the detail and huge soundstage a good panel can produce...hope this helps

Last edited:

well..... more like:
$1800 (used speakers) + $500 (price of panels before it's sky-rocketed)+ $90 PSU + ~350 drivers = $2750 :rolleyes:

$7K will buy a very gently used pair of KEF 205/2 Refs, a superb speaker I've auditioned in my room.
$8K will buy a new pair of Salk Soundscape 8's. Also a fantastic speaker.

15 or so years ago, I picked up my first panel speaker and I was hooked for life. I've owned a lot of very good cone speakers as well over many audio years, but to my ears, nothing beats a good panel. They all sound different and I've owned several panels from 4 major manufacturers, and I can't say enough about how much I enjoy my Monolith's.
Even if you decide to let your current ones go, don't think they will all give you this much trouble. I've had very little to no issues with any of mine and will never go back to the monkey coffin speaker. There's nothing like the detail and huge soundstage a good panel can produce...hope this helps

It does and thanks.
I "dumbed down" my good panel to match the output of the bad panel yesterday. Not full fidelity but the staging and imaging were almost there. Then I went to BB and listened to the B&W CM9's. No s#^t i started laughing! Gonna fix and enjoy. The ML's broke are better than a $3000.00 new box. They have been in my mothers spare bedroom all wrapped up for a spell while I was in the loooooog process of buying a house after a divorce. Short sale.
I still haven't hooked up my modest Mcintosh as she is in to be looked at. Just to make sure it's to code so to speak.

Now I can't wait to get the ML's healthy. I'm glad I came here. It's helped.

That's good news. I've also gone into stores to hear competing speakers when my Theos were damaged by my kids. It was a real shock to hear how boxy competing brands sounded like.

You might laugh (or not) but while I was waiting for my speakers to be replaced by insurance, I auditioned and bought a set of Bose Acoustimass 5s. Bag 'em all you like but they were the only relatively inexpensive speaker that avoided that 'boxy' sound while sounding quite musical! After my Montis speakers arrived, I kept the Bose and they're in my study driven by a little Jolida 102b tube amp.

My neighbour just purchased a new pair of B&W 802 Diamonds in a beautiful cherry finish. These are awesome! They sound as good as any box speaker I have ever heard - regardless of money. Are they as good as the Montis? No. Even my neighbor said so. He was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of MLs, but he was worried about his dog and cat and the fact that his listening room was close to the kitchen (cooking fumes). So he bought the best box speaker he could find that was 'nearly as good' the Montis. Man, he paid way more money to be 'nearly as good'. Anyhow, his money...

The Vista is a beautiful panel speaker that isn't too big, not too expensive, and has great sound. So enjoy your Vistas and consider new panels when you can afford it.

Last edited:

First, I just love your avatar pic, it had me in stitches and ROTFLMA this morning. It's the perfect EE/Trekie inside joke. Thx.

And yes, Monoliths are a very unique speaker. Every time I go listen to a new ML model, I realize how happy I am with my customized set.

For the OP: ML's can be very long lasting, my Sequel II's that I now use as my rears turn 20 years old next month. Panels are still working fine. They have a bit of a measured high-end roll off, but less than the EQ recommended for surround duties or applied by the room corrector anyway, so no need for panels on them yet.

Well I heard back from ML on my weak panel. I still have to buy one from them plus shipping. The good news is they are going to work with me on the price so the pain will be a bit dulled... just like my panel... :)

The bigger question you need to ask yourself is what happened to your speakers to cause them to fall apart? There is absolutely no reason both woofers and a panel should go bad so soon. Most ML's last well over ten and usually up to fifteen or twenty years before a panel needs replacement. That your panel is failing and your woofers are failing speaks to one of two things: they are a complete lemon from the mfr to begin with . . ., or they have been mistreated / damaged in some way, either before or after you purchased them.

The bigger question you need to ask yourself is what happened to your speakers to cause them to fall apart? There is absolutely no reason both woofers and a panel should go bad so soon. Most ML's last well over ten and usually up to fifteen or twenty years before a panel needs replacement. That your panel is failing and your woofers are failing speaks to one of two things: they are a complete lemon from the mfr to begin with . . ., or they have been mistreated / damaged in some way, either before or after you purchased them.

I run such a simple rig and high quality too... Marantz pre Mcintosh amp cd/dvd player... That's what puzzles me. I rarely get to sit down and listen to music as I work allot and most of the time it's HT. ???

I run such a simple rig and high quality too... Marantz pre Mcintosh amp cd/dvd player... That's what puzzles me. I rarely get to sit down and listen to music as I work allot and most of the time it's HT. ???

I'm confused as to how that answers Rich's question ??

Is there a difinitive answer to that question? I don't have one.
I treat my Vista's with much respect as it took a second job to get them. I'm a jazz n chill guy so nothing crazy is going thru...

I once had a 79 Beatle conv. White on white that I kept in showroom condition... Great car.... When it ran!

Sorry for the short answer but I was at work on the ol iphone.

I really don't know what is going on. Seems to be just the luck of the draw. What would make just part of the panel work? Don't know that. The subs... I just think it's a weak link in the Vista's to be honest. I'm not alone here. I'll replace the panel and I am confident all will be good for a very long time. When these things run it's a beautiful thing.

Look at the bright side.... I have one of the best mono systems in town!! :)

BTW... Your system is really a work of art. Well done and with class.

Dear Gainster,
I must say you’ve been exceedingly polite and diplomatic despite an, at times, rough debate.

Yes….MLs are robust provided you avoid cigarette smoke (in fact any form of smoke or soot), aerosol sprays, heavy cooking odours and other airborne pollutants such as house dust, insects and pet hairs, and provided your cat doesn’t use them as a scratching post….
(perforation is ok, just as long as the cat is careful to avoid scratching the lacquer on the stators :) )
Like the man said, panels should be good for up to 20 years but the sacrificial nature of the design means they will degrade naturally over time.

I cover mine when not in use but not everyone in your household may be as careful as you. (Almost forgot – advise your offspring not to sneeze on them. It’s a big area and MLs are good at intercepting stuff like that. Now you know why I keep them covered – it’s easier than showering :D )

IMO, the only speakers that get closer to ML performance/presentation and generate a similar degree of customer satisfaction are omnis. As you are based in the US you could consider a good American speaker manufacturer such as OHM? (Say 1000s or 3000s depending on budget). The major differences, I believe, are bass response which increases with budget. Since you own sub-woofers already, 1000s could be just the ticket.
I’ve heard a few omnis but not heard these due to their US localisation. However, there’s nothing to stop you arranging a home demo to see if speakers such as this are to your taste? Being a jazz enthusiast you might like ‘em. 
I don’t know if OHM Walsh drivers use the same “bending Wave” principle as the German Physics but they’re a helluva lot cheaper!

MLs have a glowing CV and I can only agree with the bulk of of the responses you’ve received. There are things that MLs can do that other speakers cannot (even certain other electrostats). This makes them an extremely difficult proposition for replacement. Once you become addicted to these properties any foibles such as positioning sensitivity become minor.
My recommendation overall would be to keep the MLs if you can (certainly not to please “us”) but don’t compromise your mental health or marriage for them.

Hope this is helpful.....

Last edited:
I think you all forgot about existance of such a poll:
panel life expectancy
You can draw some conclusions out of this. Interpreting this I'd be careful about extremes.

Thegainster,
Can you give your vote. It'd be good to keep this poll current.
Also, you mentioned that you enjoy HT and that's what I'd expect high SPL peaks appear that could potentially blow woofers. Panels can swing quite wide DR but small 8" can not.

Did you check age of your speakers from serial number decoder?

Ok.... I'm a little nervous. I just bought my Quest Z's about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone think ML keeps a log of speaker serial #'s that received replacement panels?

I think you all forgot about existance of such a poll:
panel life expectancy
You can draw some conclusions out of this. Interpreting this I'd be careful about extremes.

Thegainster,
Can you give your vote. It'd be good to keep this poll current.
Also, you mentioned that you enjoy HT and that's what I'd expect high SPL peaks appear that could potentially blow woofers. Panels can swing quite wide DR but small 8" can not.

Did you check age of your speakers from serial number decoder?

Decoder? I'll look for that. Mine are 052- 053

Back