Need an honest discussion here.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thegainster

Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling my ML Vista's and going with a driver type system I've had some bad luck with them and it's getting costly. I would like opinions from you folks as I feel this is a good place and full of good people with great knowlage. I'm not trolling believe me, I'm thinking of the future as I'm not going to have a "audio" budget soon.

Things I love... imaging... nutural sound... openess. I have 2 subs so HT is done.

I think ML is willing to help a bit with panel replacement but It's still soooo much more than replaceing drivers.

Help.....:eek:

I should add that I'm not opposed to keeping my Vista's at all. I am just weary of all this upkeep.

Last edited:
You want us to tell you it's OK to use domes and cones? The 'great knowledge' on this site is the recognition of the numerous inherent physical advantages which the electrostatic principle has over the voodoo of magnetic motors exciting coils of wire glued to resonating squawk makers.
ESL or death!

Evolution Acoustics MM Micro One. A giant killer and with your two subs, you could be a very happy camper for not too much money.

Only issue may be backorder.

GG

Hola. Martin Logan sister, Paradigm, they offer good price and very low price for their replacement parts. Happy listening!

You want us to tell you it's OK to use domes and cones? The 'great knowledge' on this site is the recognition of the numerous inherent physical advantages which the electrostatic principle has over the voodoo of magnetic motors exciting coils of wire glued to resonating squawk makers.
ESL or death!

Ouch!! lol
No death please... I'm close enough to that on my own :)

I do love the ML's. Durability is just a real concern...

I do love the ML's. Durability is just a real concern...

the truth is this (IMO)........Logan's when properly cared for, are very durable, end of discussion.....no if, ands or buts ! Now with that being said are there exceptions....hell yes, we're talking 'made by humans' here, so all rules have that caveat !

as far as cone / dynamic speakers plenty of great ones, myself I've yet to hear any that compete with M/L at the same respective price point.

the truth is this (IMO)........Logan's when properly cared for, are very durable, end of discussion.....no if, ands or buts ! Now with that being said are there exceptions....hell yes, we're talking 'made by humans' here, so all rules have that caveat !

as far as cone / dynamic speakers plenty of great ones, myself I've yet to hear any that compete with M/L at the same respective price point.

Amazing system. Very well done! Beautiful install too.

See... this is what I need. I've been let down and it's hard to remember the good things when a slew of rough comes to visit! I bought my ML's because af a friend who has a pair that is 25+ years old...

Evolution Acoustics MM Micro One. A giant killer and with your two subs, you could be a very happy camper for not too much money.

Only issue may be backorder.

GG

Thank you.... and thank all of you for your time.

Nice system indeed.
I also had a guy drill into my floors for same reason... result??? Massive beam exactualy where I need cables ran... so I have some 8" deep holes in the floor behind the ML's. :)

Last edited:
I agree that there is very little that can compete with ML anywhere near the price. ES sound is unique and can't be replicated. But I understand your concerns - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" as they say. We do pay for the privilege, and with ML's new management, even more so.

All I can say is that you audition very carefully any replacement. I personally could live with any Audio Physic model, and think their sonic signature is very similar to that of ML. Lean, fast, uncoloured and detailed are the words I would use to describe them. But in the end, it is still a box speaker. What about Magnepan?

amey01, I love maggies, but build quality remains an issue, even with the later models. Thegainster, Paradigm make a fabulous stand mount speaker called the Studio 20. If you match this baby with a pair of nice subs, you won't be disappointed.

IMHO, I would stick with the MLs. Overall, they are very well built and extremely durable.

Why don't you tell us what troubles you've had with your Logans. Lets start there.

The Drivers went bad now the left panel is almost dead. No sound except for about 8" in the middle. I got a call from the brick & mortar store I bought them from and it seems ML is going to help me out. I have a simple and quality based system so that I could avoid problems. LOL ... A Marantz pre and a Mcintosh 7100 amp. I just bought a house after a divorce and the high repair bill spooked me. Honestly after coming here and talking with all the folks on this forum I feel a bit more comfortable. When I bought the ML's I went with monies to buy a pair of Studio 100's. When I walked into the front door I saw the big o'l fancy "M" of the ML logo and the game was on. I had to finance part of them and work a short stay at a second job but came out with the Logans and the Mac. I could "hear" the box on every speaker sept for... well you know the rest of the story. :)

I agree that there is very little that can compete with ML anywhere near the price. ES sound is unique and can't be replicated. But I understand your concerns - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" as they say. We do pay for the privilege, and with ML's new management, even more so.

All I can say is that you audition very carefully any replacement. I personally could live with any Audio Physic model, and think their sonic signature is very similar to that of ML. Lean, fast, uncoloured and detailed are the words I would use to describe them. But in the end, it is still a box speaker. What about Magnepan?

Those are beautiful... wow!

You haven't seen those before? They are truly great speakers. (if you must have a box!)

Nice... lol... you do know our Logan's have box's don't you :)

I've been researching the EA MMMicro one....
I should hear fron ML today on the status of the panel replacement. Fingers crossed. I'm sure when I fire them up after replacement all the magic will come back.

Nice... lol... you do know our Logan's have box's don't you :)
Not if I've got CLXs.......(but I don't) :)
I've been researching the EA MMMicro one....
I should hear fron ML today on the status of the panel replacement. Fingers crossed. I'm sure when I fire them up after replacement all the magic will come back.

Nice speaker too. Good luck re. panel replacement.

Ok... I went to hear the B&W CM9's today after reading all these glowing reviews...

They ain't gonna replace my Vista's!!!
PU... Sometimes you just get spoiled....

Back