Need Advice on a Multichannel Solid State Amp for ML 5.1 System

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswigart

Reaction score
Hello all,

Longtime reader, first time poster...

Looking for suggestions on a multichannel (prefer 7, but will consider 5) solid state amplifier to go with my 5.1 ML system (Vantage, Motif, Fresco i, Depth i).

I probably will not audition the amp before buying it.

I'd prefer to buy new and have a tentative "budget" of $3000.

Any comments or suggestions? Please refrain from telling me to buy used or that I should audition it first...

In ML we trust.

Another vote for the Sunfire TGA7200 or TGA7400 (I have the latter on my summit-based, 7.1 system). Not only does it support the needs of ML speakers down to 2 ohms, it has a "Current" connection for the two main speakers that, according to the Sunfire docs, provide tube-like performance on planar speakers. (See page 9, items 5 & 6 in the TGA7400 User's Manual here for further clarification.)

I agree that the Sunfire (7200 or 7400) is a great match for the Logans. Also you should consider the Outlaw Audio amps (7200, 7700, & 7900) which are great amps and in your price range.

I will refrain from suggesting that you buy used or audition before you buy, but that is the advice I would give anyone else in your position. ;)

Definitely go with Sunfire.. great match with Logans and affordable...

I know you said you didn't want to go used, but a used Sunfire Cinema SIGNATURE is a really good choice if you can find one on the used market

This is awesome... How many speaker companies have their own forum? Where else could I ask this kind of a question and get several replies within hours?

I am definitely going to take a close look at Sunfire. Carver is a brand that I have admired for years (in fact, I was familiar with Carver before I was familiar with ML) - and if Bob Carver is now doing Sunfire (which I didn't know until today) - well, that is certainly saying something.

FWIW, prior to starting this thread, I had been considering the Arcam P1000, the NAD M25/T975 and the Lexicon GX-7... I'll now consider the Sunfire as being part of the mix (not disregarding the Cary/NuForce suggestion yet)...

Thanks to all. Keep the suggestions coming. I promise, once I get to a decision, I'll post it.

In ML we trust.

You should also look at a used McIntosh MC206, which you should be able to find within your price range.

Look for amps that have a high capacity for putting out current more so than wattage. Amps that double-down in watts are a good indicator of matching well with Electrostats. For example: Amps that produce 200 watts at 8 ohm and 400 watts at 4 ohms. Krell, Classe and Sunfire are just a few that are known for these higher current capacities and all do a good job of controlling and driving electrostats with clean power.

Look for amps that have a high capacity for putting out current more so than wattage. Amps that double-down in watts are a good indicator of matching well with Electrostats. For example: Amps that produce 200 watts at 8 ohm and 400 watts at 4 ohms. Krell, Classe and Sunfire are just a few that are known for these higher current capacities and all do a good job of controlling and driving electrostats with clean power.

I'd like to add that's it not this simple though since there are other quality amps that don't double down in power but still sound very nice and musical. But power is usually a good thing for these types of speakers.

Another vote for Sunfire here (says the guy with 12 channels of it in his system).

One of the things doubling of wattage is an indicator of is good design and suitability for driving Electrostats. As Craig said, not required, but preferred.

I use this analogy; some amps behave like a power-washer, high pressure, but low water flow. Other are like fire hoses, high water pressure and high-flow. Sunfires are audio fire hoses.

12 Channels of high power Sunfire amplification??? Damn, when you get rolling with some rock music or an action movie, you must be moving your house on its foundation.:rocker:

12 Channels of high power Sunfire amplification??? Damn, when you get rolling with some rock music or an action movie, you must be moving your house on its foundation.:rocker:

Actually, it's not the 12 channels of Sunfire power alone, it's the additional 2x600w of the Crown pro-amp driving my four 15" driver InfiniteBaffle Sub that moves the house.

The sofa is further moved by a 1000 watt amp driving the Buttkicker tactile transducer.

So it's sum of 15 channels worth that really makes it fun :p

Really intrigued by the Sunfire. However, I am told that the TGA-7200 will soon (April or so) be replaced by the TGA-7201. Anybody know what the difference will be? I called Sunfire and asked them - they acknowledged the 7201 is on the way, but said that they could not discuss it until details had been released to the public...

Thanks for the link to the review. Seems like it would make sense to wait for the 7201 - even if only to have current cosmetics...

buy a Sunfire cinema grand a be done with it.

You can find these for less than a grand on Ebay and Audiogon. They run cool, and will provide all the power you'll ever need to drive your system. I've used them with fantastic results in an all ML system. I recommend the 5 channel Cinema Grand because I believe in integrating a separate 2 channel amp for my front channels and critical audio listening. A Plinius SA100 Mk 3 or a BAT VK500 or 200 drives my CLS IIz's just fine. Why spend more for home theater than you have too...u could spend more than what a CG would cost you but once you do you've entered the world of diminished returns IMHO...in other words, you could spend thousands more but you'd not be able to hear a discernable difference enough to justify the money spent...I've sampled high priced goods for over 10 years and now I'm content to minimize and enjoy...I'd rather spend the money elsewhere...A CG will be all the amp you'll likely ever need. Enjoy All!
:musicnote:

Hello all,

Longtime reader, first time poster...

Looking for suggestions on a multichannel (prefer 7, but will consider 5) solid state amplifier to go with my 5.1 ML system (Vantage, Motif, Fresco i, Depth i).

I probably will not audition the amp before buying it.

I'd prefer to buy new and have a tentative "budget" of $3000.

Any comments or suggestions? Please refrain from telling me to buy used or that I should audition it first...

In ML we trust.

Back