Looking to join the fray and commit wallet suicide. Done my research, need views

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlrra

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been lurking in this forum without an account for a few months now. Lots of super valuable information here! I've never done hifi before and am looking forward to my first foray. I'm hoping to have a office + listening room (not too big, about 4m x 7m) in my upcoming new place.

I've been auditioning a few systems, and fell in love with the transparency of the Martin Logans. Based on my current budget (alas, no license to increase budget since the missus is not convinced as yet), I'm looking at the Electromotion ESL. I know a few posters have warned against this (given the bass box reverberation?) and suggested going second hand. Unfortunately, the second hand market in my small country isn't robust, and I haven't been able to find any deals there.

My entry level current setup will likely be: Chromecast Audio (spotify or tidal) + Turntable (likely a Pro-ject) > Integrated amp > EM ESL

Based on my integrated amp requirements (preferably having both a phono-stage and DAC to minimise equipment and keep the missus happy), I've shortlisted the following three options:

YBA iA350a (no phono stage unfortunately)
Simaudio Moon Neo Ace
Parasound Halo Integrated (I've seen some posters saying this sounds a little dead? Others seem to like it quite a bit though)

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above setup / choice of integrated amp. Thanks in advance!

I know from personal experience that the Parasound is a solid unit. My son got it to run his 13a’s and it’s a fantastic match. Don’t know much about the rest. Also not sure where you saw negative comments on that amp as all I’ve seen are very positive. For the dollars invested plus the DAC it’s hard to beat.

Thanks both for the input, Parasound it is.

And Tom, thanks for keeping this place up... it's a treasure trove of information!

Back