My Summit X have arrived!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi HS,

By "needed", I mean a speaker that can cleanly produce bass in the 30HZ area.

I listen to alot of classical music and for me, having that "foundation" is essential to fully enjoy many full range classical pieces.

Reason I asked is that many members who own the Summit have indicated that a sub is not necessary for two channel / music only listening.

Look forward to your future observations.

Best regards,

Gordon

Does your store have more cubic feet of space than your listening room at home? If so, you should notice an increase in bass reinforcement when you move them from the store to your house.

In addition to many other factors, I think room size or volume has a lot to do with the quantity of bass a speaker or sub will produce.

I am thoroughly convinced that I will still need a sub with the Summit X. It just doesn't have the low end presence I was hoping for. The whole reason I went for the Summit X versus the Spire was because I really don't have a great place to put a sub in my new home's living room and was hoping the 4 10" drivers would do it for me.

Another reason why, IMO, the Spire's combined with Killer sub(s) of choice will easily 'outgun' the Summitt "X". I do understand the shark's concern for space and his hopes of the 4 -10" drives doing the job, but I think it's fair to say the best full range speaker will rarely do justice to the bottom octave like the best sub would do. Afterall, that's why they call it a "sub" !

Hi Guys,

The reason I question the need for a sub with the Summits is the fact that very few recordings contain much information below 30HZ. Many don't even come close to this number.

From what I've read, this seems to be well documented.

Of course, the room size (and energizing the room thereof) will be the major variable.

GG

Hi Guys,

The reason I question the need for a sub with the Summits is the fact that very few recordings contain much information below 30HZ. Many don't even come close to this number.

From what I've read, this seems to be well documented.

Of course, the room size (and energizing the room thereof) will be the major variable.

GG

Hi Gordon,

I am not sure I agree 100%. The amount of bass information may depend on a particular recording.

On 2 separate speaker demo occasions (Thiel, and I think Wilson) I heard a tremendous improvement using a subwoofer. There is a large amount of musical information and hall ambience "hiding" in those low frequencies. A well integrated sub also improves the clarity of the other frequencies. If you have a chance to demo, you may be pleasantly surprised, especially if you love classical music.

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback.

All I can say is that in my smallish living room and with a recording that contains information in the 30HZ range, the Summits provide more than enough low end foundation for my tastes.

I have the 25 and 50HZ controls set at -2db.

GG

Back