My quest's are not working properly, help please!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSWisla

Reaction score
Hello, I have a pair of quest speakers that I just moved 3 blocks from my brothers house to mine.

The problem is that, wheter the power cable is plugged in or not, they sound the same. The same as in horrible, the sound is just the bass, not much coming from the panels. I had this problem before and I just reset the banks on my AC smoother and there were no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

maybe you should try plugging the directly into the wall

Are the panels producing sound at all?

I do know this same thing has happened to a couple of members with SL3s. Check the connection to the panels. On the SL3s there is a wired plastic terminal on the bottom of the panel that connects to the electronics in the woofer cabinet. I am not real familiar with the Quests; however, would think that the design is the same. These may have jarred loose or you may have broken a solder connection during your move.

thanks for the tip, they both produce what seems to be the same faint sound, overall decent sound, just very weak. So there is something there, it just seems that it is not getting the voltage to really drive them.

I had this happen to one of my speakers but not both. It was a wire that came off of the terminal block. I would check inside both speakers to insure all connections are good. Also make sure the outlet you have the speakers plugged into is live. You never know you may have tripped a circuit breaker or something. Plug a lamp into the outlet to insure it is live.

Good luck.

Don't panic-it's probably in the electronics, as said, check 3 wires to crossover, or may be in the HT supply, it's probably just a mechanical connection.

Lee

OK, I checked all the connections on the electronic board, I also checked the connections on the terminal block under the panels and also to the panels. Everything looks good. I even replaced two 250V 0.25A fuses on each electronic board. The woofers sound ok, but the sound from the panels is faint. The weird thing is it is both of them, the exact same problem.....any more suggestions?!? Please....

Thanks

Paul

quest

Yes, contact Jim Powers at Martin Logan and quite beating yourself to death on this problem, he can help you.

Since it is both speakers, it sounds to me like a problem with your amplifier, not the speakers.

It sounds like something really silly like no power to the supplies on the ML's. Are they plugged in at the same source outlet?

I don't think it is the amplifier. This sounds like the classic no power to the electonics in the speakers. Why it is happening on both speakers at the same time is a bit puzzling.

Did they work at your brothers house? If so you may have damaged the power supplies while shipping. They are very brittle when old. If they were down there its panels. Check for all carbon build up on Xovers and such. If they were in a damp environment like a basement its a issue too.

One of two things Guaranteed. Power supplies on the board or Panels. Id opt for power supplies first. Then panels !

Back