Music Enjoyment to Gear Obsession Ratio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A typically Class A design, on average, is going to project a soundstage with greater depth, width, musicality, speed, dynamics, and that special something that you can't quite put your finger on until it dawns upon one day: geez, that just came out of a silent, stark, vast, deep black hole. You're not going to get that kind of a projection from a Sunfire, because its not inherent in its design. By comparison sure, the power to drive your speakers to fabulous levels will be there, but in musicality the Sunfire will sound sterile by comparison.

Just a little side note or observation but one of the characteristics that I liked best out of the Sunfire TGA 5400 was that the sound would come out of a silent, stark, vast, deep black hole. All the other points you made may be valid, but my experience was that the TGA 5400 would scare the wajesus out of me sometimes because one second it was deep dark silence, the lights were out and it actually was pitch black, where you could not see your hand in front of your face kind of dark and then sound would come out of that even darker place and envelope you from all sides instantly inside the darkness (multichannel sound) and that was perhaps the best characteristic of the TGA 5400.

It may be that the perspective of two channel versus enveloping multichannel is enough to make this an issue on which we just can't agree, because our "experience" and "perspective" is so different.

I am pretty sure the same types of arguments came up when people tried to argue the merits of mono versus stereo; it's just so different you can't come up with a commonality even playing the same exact music.

For example the Beatles in Mono or Stereo, even listening to the same exact song or is it. I know people that have said they actually like the Mono better than the Stereo, even some people on MLC forum have said this, and you know, as far as I am concerned, good for them, that is amazing to me. I admire an ear brain combo that can do that. I on the other hand have to ride the short bus;:D I can not even come close to appreciating Mono over Stereo. But that is me, like I already said I am more warped than most.

It kind of reminds me of the argument that crops up on one of the other forums that I visit. Not exactly the same argument but kind of the same.

Some guys truly believe that they are faster drivers with more control with a manual versus a F1 paddle shifter and all the other F1 technology that goes with it. It is their perception that a manual shifter without traction control and yaw control and launch control and engine control is more engaging, gives them more control, gives them something to do by themselves and therefore they are faster. All that because that is how they have always driven and what they know.

Well, I once was lucky enough to get to ask Schumi which was faster, him in a manual car at the peak of his game or him in a full F1 equipped car with all the nannies? He said no contest, once he mastered the F1 technology, it trumps non-F1 car every time. I tend to agree with him but other guys who have not taken the time to master F1 technology and what the nannies bring to the track, well they think that they are faster in manual mode and so they are, end of story for them.

I am not trying to say that 2 channel is better or worse than multichannel, geez no flame suit can with stand that heat;:D

Just that we are what we perceive, it is what it is. And sometimes if our perceptions don't match, you can't agree from your own distinct perspective.

But one thing we can agree on is to enjoy the music, however that is perceived. Would you like 2 channel with that or 6 channel?

2B,

Howdy JMAUSGP!

Interesting read, and I will give you that it doesn't take a ton of work or cash for that matter to upgrade to two channel amplification from multichannel amplification. But you may be missing the point, but then again maybe not.

At least in my instance, I never listen to two channel movies and I never listen to two channel music. My system does not do double duty, it only does multi-channel and this may be where we are starting to have a disconnect. Only multi-channel? Hmmm, so before multi-channel came along you didn't listen to music, or are you saying you've chosen it exclusively because something about it draws you in to that type of presentation? Myself, I'm the opposite. I'm more interested in attempting to recreate a studio or bandstand presentation. Yes, I'm aware there are those who'd say multichannel is a more accurate presentation of a live event such as a concert setting. But for me, it never gets any better than a recreated stage event as could be heard at my local Jazz Alley venue. Each player performing from a certain location on the stage recreated in a like presentation within a 2 channel listening experience within my system. But hey, too each their own right.

And of course my reference to double duty is made in the context of real world budgetary constraints of the average individual. If cost's no object, but of course the sky's the limit!

I am so set in my ways that given the choice of stereo or nothing, I choose nothing. Wow really!!! The truth is I haven't listened to stereo since I bought my first Dynaco Quad SCA-80Q in 1972, then Pioneer Quad QX-949, with the cool ocilliscope and then Citation 2.0 and 4.0 and now Modded McCormack MAP-1 for the 5.1 music system with CLXs and the Sony STR 5300ES for the big 7.2 HT which is all ML speakers btw. I also have a Sony STR 5200ES 7.2 system with MLs in the master bedroom. Yeah, I know, but when you have multichannel syndrome, well it's a disease. MS...now perhaps I'm finally beginning to hear where you're coming from. Well, I don't subscribe to the type of listening you do, but I have to admit, you took me right down memory lane with the mention of Quad gear...It was '73 during the tail end of Vietnam...I'm 18, and having just taken up residence on the island of Guam thanks to the US Navy assigning me to the USS Ponchatoula AO148...the Ponch' as it later affectionately became to be known was going through a needed dry dock repair, so you had a entire ship of over 300 personnel in temporary barrack housing while our home at sea was receiving a facelift...and each barrack you'd enter you'd hear different styles of musical choices being played back over hi-end Quad receivers from Sansui, Pioneer and the like. Being that we were in close proximity to Japan where those were produced they could be had to a sailor for a song...or a seaman's monthly paycheck equivalent, which usually came first! Thx for that walk down memory land, for I'd not been inside that barracks in years.

Myself and Jonfo may be a minority since we love multi-channel and put so much effort into it but hey its what we like and I am a firm believer in to each his own.

I do believe that I can hear a difference in amps, and there is no doubt in my mind that you and others can too and it is for that reason itself that it is important in my system to have all channels driven by the same amp. That way there is no discernable difference between the front and the back channels. That's a very strong argument that's definitely open to discussion. For instance, any MC processor worth consideration would possess speaker adjustment levels integrated in its design for the very purpose you suggest. You're obviously taking this in a direction I'm not yet aware of so I'll reserve further comment until I hear more Ahhhhh, so you can hear a difference in amplification, even in the context of an MC presentation. Very interesting indeed.

In my case, why would I want to have different amp on the front CLXs that sounds better/different from the amp that I have on the rear CLXs. You see that kind of messes with the experience, IMHO. Oh boy, and I thought I had a disease. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man...thx for reminding me why it was important that I got better grades in school. Geez sir, if I could afford CLX's to stage in the front, nor less the rear, then perhaps I'd not be having this discussion with you, for at this very moment I know where I'd be...cruising down the Med, or French Rivera, or even perhaps off the coast of Ukraine's Black Sea, cold blue umbrella'd drink in hand, listening to music through a pair of i-Phones!

BTW, I've actually done the Ukraine thing, and trust me, if you're an American male, going through midlife or whatever crisis, I highly recommend it! Ohhhhh man, I could tell you some stories, but hey that would be too off topic and perhaps could have me forever censored.

Now if you throw out the law of diminishing returns, yeah you can beat the Sunfire TGA 5400 or 7400 but at what cost? It all comes down to whether the cost justifies the perfomance, and even though I can spend alot on the amplification there is this little voice in my head that says, watch it she might find out how much you are spending on your audio addiction. I hate to say it JMAUSGP, but you've just given me ammunition with the Mrs...see honey, I don't have a disease...here's this guy whose got more than the net worth of my entire system tied up in just his front two channels...your secrets safe with me.

But that is a whole different discussion......back on topic.

I did do a demo of a Simaudio Moon Titan against the Sunfire 5400, based on Tonepub's recommendation and I did note enough of a difference that I spent double the money of the TGA 5400 to get the Moon Titan. So I am not blind to the fact that it can be done, but again at what cost? Tonepub sounds like a kewl guy. So JMAUSGP, it appears you're not so closed minded after all for you took the plunge and gave Tonepub's suggestion a try. However, given that your requirements differ from those having 2 channel as their primary listening objectives, which most need to fill, then the $1k investment I was suggesting that would be within the reach of an average budget could still be attainable and present a more harmonically rich presentation than the Sunfire perhaps could.

And when I talk Sunfire amps and Martin Logans ESLs I am not talking 200 watt per channel used $1K Sunfires but rather 400 watt per channel in to 8ohm amps. The Signature Series, yes I understand. Frankly their designs are not that different...well I should qualify that by saying to my ears their presentation sounds the same, but of course with the Sig series it's more of the same. It's too bad you didn't get to hear a Carver Lightstar Reference. All 77 of them produced were hand built, true dual mono amps within one chassis each with separate power supplies and each with it's own power up/off button much like the BAT VK500. Carver was on to something finally, unfortunately for them it became too little too late...77 of those are floating around out there somewhere, and for a product that sold new for $4k for a Carver 2 channel during the later 90's, they were actually worth it! Favorably reviewed against a T-200 at the time if I recall. The design of the Ref was based on the same design principles BC was working on before he sold Carver and started Sunfire. However, the Lightstar Ref's get plenty warm, so that tells you they were similar to Sunfire, but a different beast in the end.

I have tried the 200 channel Sunfire amps and you can tell a big difference in their sound versus the 400 watt models, at least driving Martin Logans. I think it is a headroom thing. They just keep doubling down to 1 ohm at 3200 watts a channel and they run cool in the cabinets. Yes, those cool temps are definitely advantages to the breed. And there's something to be said for having spare room in an amplifier when matching it to a power hungry load. But frankly, ML's don't come much more difficult of a load to drive than CLS's, and I've driven them with ease and audible room to spare with a simple $1k used BAT VK200, which is only 200 wpc 4 ohms...it's not the wattage that's important to me...it's the quality of watts that's being presented to the load/speaker that's more important. Side Note, I used to have 125 watt class A Yamaha amps in the cabinets, but the wife kept asking me why she smelled wood burning. That gets old after a while, not to mention kind of scarey. Ohhhhh man, was there a system fire extinguisher at the standby for that system? :confused: And if so I hope you padded it in foam to protect against unwanted resonance and vibrations :eek: Okay, so you learned something. Class A design is not designed to sit inside a cabinet setting. Cooler air needs to circulate around it to assist with heat dissipation from its heatsinks. Didn't that Yamaha have tremendous heat sinks to help it cool itself? Thank goodness the Mrs. had a discerning nose that forewarned you before you burned the house down. Remember to take her to dinner and thank her just because.

For the big 7.2 HT I have Stylos, Stage, Fresco i and subs driven by a Sunfire TGA7400, it does 99% movies and HDTV, with music only 1% of the time, but always multi-channel. It never runs out of steam and it runs cool as a cucumber. Life is good in your household. I wanna be you in my next life. CLX's in the rears, projected dancing bears in ballet ruffled skirts prancing along the ceiling to the beat of the music..okay, minus the bears! :ROFL:

As for the 5.1 music only system, its CLXs, Descent i and Stage (with the intent to sometime split a pair of used CLXs with Jonfo to swap out the Stage for an all CLX lineup) This is powered by a Simaudio Moon Titan, which replaced a Sunfire TGA 5400, because I could hear a difference and my brother needed the money more than the Titan. Like I said, sometimes you have to help a brother out, literally:D What a standup guy. I'm with you...family first, end of discussion. But you ended up with Titan's on the cheap so that wasn't so bad. Are you serious? CLX's all around? Whew, talk about a Park Avenue of system's. Okay, it's obvious I'm way outa my league here in this discussion...let's have a do over...from the top...for US normal folk...If Jonfo wanted to it appears he has the skills and wherewithal to practically design his own CLX. The only thing that had me scratching my head is why he'd choose to power his creations with a SF product. And to that question you've just provided a possible answer: cool as a cucumber in a rack mount setting...yes, a SF is tough to beat given those constraints.

This is all run through a McCormack MAP-1 that was modded by Steve McCormack to bring it up to his Virtual Machine pre-amp standards. I like it because I can take any two channel source and through Steve's Ambience Retrieval Mode (ARM) I can turn it into a very close approximation of DVD Audio or SACD 5.1 surround sound. Kind of like stereo on steroids. S on S...one has to like the sound of that. What does that contraption sound like?

In short, if you don't play pure two channel and you almost always play multi-channel then having the channels matched is a big priority and to do that without spending huge dollars and bumping up against the law of diminishing returns, the Sunfire multichannel 400 watt per channel amps are an easy decision, and I have found they are hard to beat without spending significant effort and AFC, Actaully fg Cash for those playing the home game. Can you go bigger and/or arguably better, heck yes, but at what cost? Well, I'm still not buying the "channel matching" theory because the processor adjusts that. But all things being equal for HT performance I concede the SF is hard to beat for bang for buck presentation. I'd never go without 2 channel audio though. Give me a 180 gram pressing of Blue Train played back over an Oracle Delphi MKV TT with the right stylus and a pair of CLS's and frankly I'm done, for it doesn't get any better than that to my ears. But call me set in my ways of 2 channel listening...even SACD holds no interest for me. I'm more of a purist...not in a sense of being close minded...it has more to do with the fact as a hobbyist musician, music sounds more natural to my ear played back acoustically, versus through gadgetry and electronic gizmo's. A real piano trumps a digital one, no matter how good the digital source. Overtones are there that can't be created via electronics...same for basses...give me the real thing...although I applaud the pursuit of advancement in music. However, it seems to me the more we progress the further one can get away from the value and reward found in simplicity. Okay, kick me off this soapbox, I'm done.

You will note that I am not the most serious of posters here at MLC, yeah I have opinions like everyone else.....okay mine are a little more warped than most. But I also have several other hobbies/interests/passions/addictions and I have to split my time among all of them, which is getting harder and harder to do, anyways I do try to explain my positon now and then but since writing is not one of my strengths, it is kind of a crapshoot whether or not I explain myself well enough. I'd beg to differ, your writing is exceptionally clear, well thought out, with solid reasoning, and it's easily understandable. Having multiple passions and obvious addictions is something else we share.

And that's my story and I am sticking to it?
Okay, I can't resist: Who would you or any of us be without our story? Talk about an off topic question! But my mentor BK would be honored to hear her question being asked at the MLC. :bowdown:

Enjoy!

2B,

For the first time in a long time, I think I have writers remorse or was that buyers remorse.......whatever, you are definitely okay in my book.

One of my college roomates had a Sansui surround reciever and I had not heard one of those mentioned for many years until you just brought it up. It brought back memories of college dorm rooms and listening to quad albums and watching the oscilliscope on the front of the Pioneer QX949, sometimes with a clear head but quite often not, man those were good times at least what I can remember of them. :D

Sorry to unload so much stuff in such a simple thread but since you asked what draws me to do multichannel, it is just a matter of hearing quad back in the 70s and once bitten I could never go back to 2 channel. It was love or addiction at first sight or was that sound.

The truth is I have always been a technocrat and I have always been an early adopter of new technology. I have not only been one of the first to get and use new technology in a general sense, but sometimes I have been the very first in the world to use new technology that my companys have invented. For me that is a real rush, kind of like exploring a cave that no one has been in before, yeah I use to spelunk just to do that.

I understand where you are coming from with regards to two channel. I on the other hand am not in to sitting and listening in the audience, but rather enjoy be up on stage in the middlle of the band with all the instruments around me. I guess I like to truly experience the music, meaning I enjoy having the music go right through me, around me, throw me to the floor, pin me on the ceiling and I am talking about an almost literal experience. Again, I can only do it for an hour or two at a time and then I have to rest. I actually get worn out experiencing the music. I know a lot of people like to listen to music and relax, I can't do that, but truthfully sometimes I wish I could.:D

But hey, however one wants or needs to enjoy the music, is okay by me.

Last edited:
Post No. 19

Hi 2B,

The VTL's were driving the Summit panel.

I never said they were driving the CLS.

Yes to your last question.

GG

2B,

For the first time in a long time, I think I have writers remorse or was that buyers remorse.......whatever, you are definitely okay in my book. Geez, thanks for the thought! Writer's cramp is more like it on my end. You can tell a newbie by how he carries on endlessly.

One of my college roomates had a Sansui surround reciever and I had not heard one of those mentioned for many years until you just brought it up. It brought back memories of college dorm rooms and listening to quad albums and watching the oscilliscope on the front of the Pioneer QX949, sometimes with a clear head but quite often not, man those were good times at what I can remember of them. Oh man, now you're takin' me back again. I'd completely forgotten about those squiggly scopes. Weren't those just a trip, or a bonus to gaze upon, depending upon the quality of the goods one prepared themselves with beforehand before the music started? But hey, bein' one of Seattle's finest, now retired, you didn't hear that from me.

Sorry to unload so much stuff in such a simple thread but since you asked what draws me to do multichannel, it is just a matter of hearing quad back in the 70s and once bitten I could never go back to 2 channel. It was love or addiction at first sight or was that sound. That's confirms it, you're all about the music. The stuff channels right through you!

The truth is I have always been a technocrat and I have always been an early adopter of new technology. I have not only been one of the first to get and use new technology in a general sense, but sometimes I have been the very first in the world to use new technology that my companys have invented. For me that is a real rush, kind of like exploring a cave that no one has been in before, yeah I use to spelunk just to do that. Yeah but did you ever own one of those Accutrac 1000 TT's? :confused:

I understand where you are coming from with regards to two channel. I on the other hand am not in to sitting and listening in the audience, but rather enjoy be up on stage in the middlle of the band with all the instruments around me. I guess I like to truly experience the music, meaning I enjoy having the music go right through me, around me, throw me to the floor, pin me on the ceiling and I am talking about an almost literal experience. Again, I can only do it for an hour or two at a time and then I have to rest. I actually get worn out experiencing the music. I know a lot of people like to listen to music and relax, I can't do that, but truthfully sometimes I wish I could. Ahhh, so we're you that guy I saw propellin' himself off the stage head first into the crowd grunge style during a Jazz concert? Mmmm, I spose those stuffy jazz folks need a bit of loosenin' up now and then don't they! Actually, you remind me of my ex. She couldn't sit still more than 10 minutes to watch a movie.

But hey, however one wants or needs to enjoy the music, is okay by me. Same here...Enjoy the music, and thanks for sharing your insights!

Hi 2B,

The VTL's were driving the Summit panel.

I never said they were driving the CLS.

Yes to your last question.

GG

Howdy Gordon,

Ahhh, now you're talkin' biamplification. Were you in a position to sample the VTL on top whilst simultaneously having the Pass down under? I must say, those Summits look like the real deal...and I'll stand in line and take a number to add that that view from your humble abode is none to shabby. Life's treating you good Gordon!

Hi 2B,

Don't need to biamp the Summits.

Each woofer module contains two 10" drivers. Each driver is powered by its own 200W digital amp, which is also contained in the module.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my view. I do consider myself very fortunate.

GG

Last edited:
Wow! what an interesting conversation between JM & 2b! Thanks guys, it is refreshing to see civil debate at it's finest.

My irrelevant input is this: JM seems to know what pleases him, and 2b is still searching for "the sound".

My question for 2b is, don't you get tired of rolling components in and out or is that the fun of it? I've pretty much found the sound I like and don't have much more desire to add anything else except for MAYBE the CLX.

My combination is very pleasing to me and NOW I can sit back with a glass of my favorite adult beverage and enjoy the music and not the gear. While the gear is an end to the means, isn't it the music at the end of the day?

Perhaps I'm the oddball who has become satisfied in this wacky hobby we share :D

Gordon

P.S. 2b, I'm another Gordon here, not to be confused with Gordon Gray even though my last name also begins with a G!

Gordon, I'm with you too.

After 35 years of chasing the rabbit, I'm finally at a spot where when I sit and listen, nothing is nagging me to upgrade. (now I can think about upgrading the car!!!)

It's a great feeling...

A long and winding road though. Definitely.

Latest posts

Back