Music Enjoyment to Gear Obsession Ratio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcblum

Reaction score
The other day I set up a play list and started listening. Only really what I was doing was researching external DACs and trying to nit pick my setup to make it sound 'better'. After about a half hour I realized I didn't really even remember what I had heard.

My goal for 2010: Enjoy music much, much more than I worry about the setup / gear / etc...

That is after all why we started doing this, right?
Matt

Yeah, I can remember as far back as the '70s occasionally envying people with cheap compact stereos, huge record collections, and no knowledge of audio. (Not that I really knew that much myself.)

Whether you are enjoying the music or striving to better your system, what matters the most is...just having fun.

agreed, they are not mutually exclusive.

I probably spend 10% or so of my time in the HT messing with the gear vs jsut watching a movie or listening to music.

that's way higher than 'average', but who cares, it's a hobby, I have fun :cool:

I enjoy tweaking my system just as much as listening, but the latter is much more relaxing. I probably spend 10% of my time tweaking, and 90% listening. My only regret is not having enough total time as I'd like for both.

I find optimizing more like work than fun:(

After reading a thread, i was inspired to better refine the sound. Using a modified flashlight technique adopted for the aeons, i spent days listening and re-angling the speakers.

I had to get used to the sound in one position before changing it to hear if it improved. I found this burdensome. It took away from the pleasure of listening. However, the placement was optimized and the time spent was very well worth it.

These speakers need your attention and when given, they show their appreciation:music:.

Last edited:
My only regret is not having enough total time as I'd like for both.

Totally agaree.......I love tweaking, but - with my limited time - when "push comes to shove" listening always wins out over tweaking.

Ammm - listening to music, or pushing speakers around the room to get them that last 2mm into position - guess which wins every time?

That being the case, there are so many outstanding bits of tweaking I have to do with my system. I just wish I could find the time!

I have to say that as my system has gotten better over the years, the more time I spend just listening for fun. I finally have things set up to the point where new gear in for review does not disrupt the flow of the normal system, except for speaker reviews.

agreed, they are not mutually exclusive.

I probably spend 10% or so of my time in the HT messing with the gear vs jsut watching a movie or listening to music.

that's way higher than 'average', but who cares, it's a hobby, I have fun :cool:

Okay, with all due respect I'm about to open Pandora's box with you here. I'm a newbie here to be certain, but where amplification is concerned trust me I'm not, so let's buckle up for a serious discussion.

I like many others are mesmerized by your many talents. But, after all the time, effort, and money invested into those accomplishments, how is it you'd choose a Sunfire amp to power the gems you've created?

Now before you, or anyone else goes off the deep end to inform me about the merits of Sunfire product, I've been there and done that. Living in Seattle the stuff was plentifully produced minutes from me, at least before Bob sold the company. I actually owned, and sold like an idiot, two Carver Reference Lightstar amplifier's that I bought brand new in the box for $1400 each. If you're not aware, the Lightstar Reference is like a Sunfire Signature on steroids, they're that good...and unlike Sunfire amps the Ref's get plenty warm, almost like a Class A design warm.

Now we can agree the Logans are power hungry, so the Sunfire would be a cost alternative obvious choice. But I'm perplexed about a choice of amplification for what many would consider "mid-fi" gear to power the wonderful creations you've created. That's not an insult, it's a compliment, because it would seem to me your creations deserve better. When earlier I suggested powering Mono III"s with a BAT product you asked if it had XLR's, which suggested you weren't aware of BAT or at least the "balanced" in Balanced Audio Technologies refers to producing fully balanced designs in their products. So the obvious question is: Have you sampled other sources of amplification for the items you've created?

Again, nothing against Sunfire, but it's not quite the creme de la creme in amplification, especially with the number of stellar amps that can be found on the used market. I recently bought a VK500 for about the price of a used Sunfire Signature, although admittedly the VK is a 2 channel source as opposed to a five channel, but the level of performance to be had between the two amps justifies the cost difference/ratio.

Okay, now standing by with flame retardant in hand for all those Sunfire amp owners out there!

Jonfo, although I think this was directed at you and somewhat to other Sunfire owner/users, let me take a crack at this one.

As a multichannel person, I have found that when you balance all the factors that need to be taken in to consideration when satisfying the needs of Martin Logan speakers and multichannel. The head room provided by Sunfire multi-channel amps is very difficult to achieve unless you are talking about spending 3 to 5 times as much. And then their is the sound of the TGA 5400 or 7400, it sounds great and does it so effortlessly.

Now that sound may not be what some like, but there are people that can't live without Tube amplification, however for me, I have listened to Tube sound and it just isn't my cup of tea. In fact any amp that can be characterized as warm tends to not be to my taste no matter what the cost.

Now with all that said, I was able to find an amp that was recommended by one of our members, who will go nameless (Tonepub), okay I lied. :D

Anyway, since he had recommended other pieces of audio equipment to me that I also liked, I tried it and found that it just barely beat the Sunfire TGA 5400 but only in its ability to reproduce complex passages. On a single instrument it was pretty much a dead heat. It was 3 times the cost of the Sunfire amp and if it not for the circumstance that it was being sold to me by a family member, well I wasn't sure that it was worth 3 times the value of the Sunfire. But hey sometimes you have to help a brother out, literally.:D

I still have the TGA 7400 in my big Home Theater and I do not see any day soon where I will be willing to replace it with anything out there at any price point. I listen to 98% movie sountracks and HDTV on the big Home Theater and I listen to 100% music on the 5.1 surround system.

Like many things, the 'law of diminishing returns' makes it very tough to beat Sunfire amps especially when you have to consider that you are driving current hungry Martin Logan speakers.

How'd I do Jonfo? I bet I missed something. Crap who am I kidding, I probably missed more than I hit.:D

Last edited:
Jonfo, although I think this was directed at you and somewhat to other Sunfire owner/users, let me take a crack at this one.

Like many things, the 'law of diminishing returns' makes it very tough to beat Sunfire amps especially when you have to consider that you are driving current hungry Martin Logan speakers.

How'd I do Jonfo? I bet I missed something. Crap who am I kidding, I probably missed more than I hit.:D

Well yes, you missed plenty to be certain, but I'll give you a resounding "A" for at least putting in the effort to introduce another product into the equation in an effort to maximize the resulting sound of the product you're attempting to hear...which we all know equates to what sounds best to each of us in our own individual rooms via our own individual systems. The only constant in the that equation is a pair of ML's. Everything else, i.e. room acoustics, components used, is completely different therefore results will vary given the level of ones entire system.

Now, with respect to Logans needing "headroom" you've expressed a predisposition towards solid state amplification over tubes, even though you didn't really express why you're not in favor of tubes. But with respect to "headroom", I, or any individual familiar with audio gear, amplifiers, and the like, other than Sunfire product could direct you to AG classified pages where in less than the time it took you to go to the fridge and return to that cozy ez chair there'd be a dozen 'solid state' amps worthy to explore that would drive your Logans discernably "better" than the Sunfire model you've suggested. Better of course is in the ear of the beholder. And granted it does require a bit of 'amplification experience', and listening to quite a variety of different amps to discern the differences each product is projecting into the context of your system. If that weren't the case we'd all be able to save a ton of cash by powering our Logan's with used Adcom or ATI amps. So, if it's fair to say there's a discernible difference between powering ones Logans with a Sunfire or ATI amp, that same case can be made for powering any pair of Logans with an alternative power source other than a Sunfire. Differences are there, and they're not that subtle.

In order of importance, I'd put amplification at the top of the list following the source your feeding, and in that case we're talking Logans first, amp second, CD and so on. So naturally we want to maximize the benefit to be had by amplifying our source with the best amplifier possible to achieve that end.

You've made a very valid point about the cost of diminishing returns raising its head. That's a given to anyone whose been around audio long enough to understand that X amount of dollars doesn't necessarily = a better sound. I'm a working stiff, and any investment I put into the system must pay a return. The worst thing anyone can do is throw money at a system to see if something works. There are ways to minimize ones investment and yet acheive a positive result. Let's explore that.

It's not as if it's 1993 and prior to the internet, where one was forced to acquire new gear to sample something new and at the mercy of a retailer requiring one to pay full retail price. Used "hi-end" gear is so commonplace nowadays, and has been since '97. Where's my proof? I've been buying/trading since that time, and 90% of that time I've only bought used gear. I buy used for two reasons. First, any 'new' item is used gear as soon as you open the box, second it makes good sense to buy any item used because it has already depreciated in value and cost to me.

The suggestion that a 5 channel HT amp is "required" to power your Logans being used in the context of a HT setting is an ez fix. My system also does 'double duty'. Most modern audiophile quality preamps provide a 2 channel passthrough which enables one to utilize their 2 channel audio amp as their source of amplification for their main speakers when operating them for HT. And now getting cozy in that ez chair once again and ready for some serious 2 channel listening you're not penalizing yourself or your source with a lessor level of amplification.

Let's examine the cost argument you've just made vs. reality.

A used Sunfire 5 channel amp on eBay, or AG, averages about $1k for the 200 watt model. In fact one sold yesterday on eBay for $800 but that's not the norm. We're talking the former Cinema Grand series. I observed the newer version you mention sell last week for just over $1k. So what if, and it's only a suggetion, but what if one took that same $1k, invested it into something as simple as a BAT VK200 amplifier, which would cost one the same amount to acquire. The result of that $1k investment would be a superior source of amplification for your Logans. Yes, the BAT only provides you with 2 channels of amplification. If you're like most, you need 7 channels nowadays anyway, so 2 in the BAT, 5 in a Cinema Grand, you've got HT covered, and voila you've just improved upon a source of amplification for your Logans at very minimal cost. And of course the VK200 is but one of many examples of amplifiers I could suggest that would provide an obvious difference justifying the additional $1k investment.

It's worth repeating, I've nothing against Sunfire product. But it's not the be all end all source of amplification to truly make Logans sing. And for the cost of even a used Sunfire 5 channel amp at $1k, I could suggest many other alternative solutions which would be audibly superior to power any pair of Logans. I've a pair of Manley 450 mono's connected to a pair of CLS ii z's that would blow your socks off...trust me, there's a difference. Darn those tube amps! ;)

I can't help but be curious what amp you sampled that you couldn't hear a difference over a Sunfire. Don't be bashful, spill the beans. ;)

2be --

Try to explain the differences you hear in these 1K used amps versus say the sunfire signatures....

Hi 2B,

You seem to have substantive knowledge regarding ML's, amps, etc.

You seem to be inferring that you like tubes vs SS. That's fine with me. I prefer the opposite.

Prior to buying my Pass Labs, I auditioned a VTL 150 for two weeks in my system. Although it had a sumptuous mid range and extended but somewhat diffuse highs, I found it ultimately unengaging.

As I'm sure you know, audio is a very personal / subjective hobby and, in my mind, there is no best. That's up to each individual to discern with their own system in their own room with their own ears. So when you say "trust me" regarding your reaction to the 450 amps with your CLS speakers, it is merely one persons' opinion.

Having said that, I'm glad you like the combo.

GG

Hi 2B,

Prior to buying my Pass Labs, I auditioned a VTL 150 for two weeks in my system. Although it had a sumptuous mid range and extended but somewhat diffuse highs, I found it ultimately unengaging.

As I'm sure you know, audio is a very personal / subjective hobby and, in my mind, there is no best. That's up to each individual to discern with their own system in their own room with their own ears. So when you say "trust me" regarding your reaction to the 450 amps with your CLS speakers, it is merely one persons' opinion.

GG

Hey Gordon,

I am also in the SS camp pretty solidly. However, there are some expensive tube amps that do most of the things SS amps do, + give you that midrange and 3-dimensionality. Listening to the Atma-spheres on my Spires was eye opening. It was the only amp that made my SS CJ 350 a second class citizen. I wonder what you would have thought of the VTL if you tried the 450 instead of the 150...

2B,

Interesting read, and I will give you that it doesn't take a ton of work or cash for that matter to upgrade to two channel amplification from multichannel amplification. But you may be missing the point, but then again maybe not.

At least in my instance, I never listen to two channel movies and I never listen to two channel music. My system does not do double duty, it only does multi-channel and this may be where we are starting to have a disconnect.:D

I am so set in my ways that given the choice of stereo or nothing, I choose nothing. The truth is I haven't listened to stereo since I bought my first Dynaco Quad SCA-80Q in 1972, then Pioneer Quad QX-949, with the cool ocilliscope and then Citation 2.0 and 4.0 and now Modded McCormack MAP-1 for the 5.1 music system with CLXs and the Sony STR 5300ES for the big 7.2 HT which is all ML speakers btw. I also have a Sony STR 5200ES 7.2 system with MLs in the master bedroom. Yeah, I know, but when you have multichannel syndrome, well it's a disease.

Myself and Jonfo may be a minority since we love multi-channel and put so much effort into it but hey its what we like and I am a firm believer in to each his own.

I do believe that I can hear a difference in amps, and there is no doubt in my mind that you and others can too and it is for that reason itself that it is important in my system to have all channels driven by the same amp. That way there is no discernable difference between the front and the back channels.

In my case, why would I want to have different amp on the front CLXs that sounds better/different from the amp that I have on the rear CLXs. You see that kind of messes with the experience, IMHO.

Now if you throw out the law of diminishing returns, yeah you can beat the Sunfire TGA 5400 or 7400 but at what cost? It all comes down to whether the cost justifies the perfomance, and even though I can spend alot on the amplification there is this little voice in my head that says, watch it she might find out how much you are spending on your audio addiction.:D

But that is a whole different discussion......back on topic.

I did do a demo of a Simaudio Moon Titan against the Sunfire 5400, based on Tonepub's recommendation and I did note enough of a difference that I spent double the money of the TGA 5400 to get the Moon Titan. So I am not blind to the fact that it can be done, but again at what cost?

And when I talk Sunfire amps and Martin Logans ESLs I am not talking 200 watt per channel used $1K Sunfires but rather 400 watt per channel in to 8ohm amps.

I have tried the 200 channel Sunfire amps and you can tell a big difference in their sound versus the 400 watt models, at least driving Martin Logans. I think it is a headroom thing. They just keep doubling down to 1 ohm at 3200 watts a channel and they run cool in the cabinets. Side Note, I used to have 125 watt class A Yamaha amps in the cabinets, but the wife kept asking me why she smelled wood burning. That gets old after a while, not to mention kind of scarey.

For the big 7.2 HT I have Stylos, Stage, Fresco i and subs driven by a Sunfire TGA7400, it does 99% movies and HDTV, with music only 1% of the time, but always multi-channel. It never runs out of steam and it runs cool as a cucumber.

As for the 5.1 music only system, its CLXs, Descent i and Stage (with the intent to sometime split a pair of used CLXs with Jonfo to swap out the Stage for an all CLX lineup) This is powered by a Simaudio Moon Titan, which replaced a Sunfire TGA 5400, because I could hear a difference and my brother needed the money more than the Titan. Like I said, sometimes you have to help a brother out, literally:D

This is all run through a McCormack MAP-1 that was modded by Steve McCormack to bring it up to his Virtual Machine pre-amp standards. I like it because I can take any two channel source and through Steve's Ambience Retrieval Mode (ARM) I can turn it into a very close approximation of DVD Audio or SACD 5.1 surround sound. Kind of like stereo on steroids.

In short, if you don't play pure two channel and you almost always play multi-channel then having the channels matched is a big priority and to do that without spending huge dollars and bumping up against the law of diminishing returns, the Sunfire multichannel 400 watt per channel amps are an easy decision, and I have found they are hard to beat without spending significant effort and AFC, Actaully fg Cash for those playing the home game. Can you go bigger and/or arguably better, heck yes, but at what cost?

You will note that I am not the most serious of posters here at MLC, yeah I have opinions like everyone else.....okay mine are a little more warped than most. But I also have several other hobbies/interests/passions/addictions and I have to split my time among all of them, which is getting harder and harder to do, anyways I do try to explain my positon now and then but since writing is not one of my strengths, it is kind of a crapshoot whether or not I explain myself well enough.

And that's my story and I am sticking to it?

2be --

Try to explain the differences you hear in these 1K used amps versus say the sunfire signatures....

Hi Tim,

First I'd like to begin by saying in my original statement regarding Sunfire product it was not my intend to slight their product line. To suggest a certain product is not up to a certain standard of other products and some will go to war in defense of the product they've invested in. I'm not about bashing anyone's product for in the end it's not about ego...it's only about the music for me, plain and simple. If my words seemed offensive to some Sunfire owners out there I apologize, for that was not my intent. My intent was to extend an invitation on the part of those who perhaps owned Sunfire or like products because of their vast power reserves to explore other products that perhaps could address those same concerns and yet still on a level that provided better performance.

The Signature series was designed in part to provide greater power requirements and musicality not addressed in Sunfire's previous product designs. There may be slight differences between say a Signature and a standard Cinema Grand but their basic presentation is the same, for one will find more of the same in a Signature version. In other words one would be very hard pressed to hear a difference between a Signature amp and Sunfire's initial 2 channel stereo amplifier because the design of both amps is basically the same.

If we're operating solely from the standpoint of only having $1k to work with, then already we're at a disadvantage because generally you'd be hard pressed to find a 5 channel Signature selling for $1k. They're commonly found on AG and elsewhere from $1500-$1800 depending on condition. Give me $1800 as a budget to operate with and that opens me to an entire world of diverse product lines I could choose from. We're talking a Plinius SA100MKiii, a Stereophile A rated amplifier so rated for good reason, from an Australian company which needs no introduction. It's handy too because it may be operated in A/B mode when used for non-critical listening as you're going about the house fiddling around and you want some music playing in the background. When you're ready to sit down and focus on the music, flip the front panel switch to Class A mode and in no time at all the amp heats up, as does your room to some extent, and voila now your cookin'!

The difference between the quality of amps one could acquire at $1k vs. $1800 places a budgetary constraint on what would be available to you. But, even so, if $1k is my budget and that's the range I have to work with to remain in my budget then I'll invest that $1k with the following game plan in mind.

First, I'm going to acquire an item that's popular, well known, perhaps it's been reviewed which can be helpful, has sufficient power in its design, and it's from a company with an established reputation. Why all of these parameters? Because I'm thinking of this $1k as an initial investment that I can benefit from by using this product while the item is in my system, with the knowledge that I'm going to sell it later to upgrade to a better product. If I've bought it right, meaning at the prevailing used market price the product sells for, given its popularity among the audio community I'll have it sold within a matter of weeks, if not days, due to the strong curiosity that exists within the community for the product, many of which who've yet to own one. Check out the buzz regarding BC amps and you'll see what I mean. They go fast because everyone wants to see what all the fuss is about.

Once resold I'll gain return on my initial investment, and perhaps even make a few dollars while reselling it. Now taking that $1k, and whatever else I've managed to save to increase my initial amp budget, I've now positioned myself to climb the ladder to an even better amplifier, all the while having already benefited from the use of that first amp by using it however long...think of this as "free rent." :rolleyes:

Do that enough times over the years, and one can actually pay for an entire system, valued at many thousands of dollars, paid for by as Danny Devito said: OPM...other peoples money. That's what AG is all about for many. Buy low, slightly above what a dealer would do, sell market value and then take that difference and increase your systems worth both in performance and actual cash value. It's not hard to do but its doable over time. My system has been bought and paid for with OPM. The used market allows anyone to do what I've done. If you're curious it took me less than 5 years to do what I've done.

My apologies for the long-winded explanation about money matters as it pertains to the level of a products performance, but there's no escaping it. To answer your question precisely, if I've $1k to invest, I'm open to a BAT VK200 that retailed new for $3500, an Aragon 8008BB which sold close to $3k new and 400 wpc 4 ohms, a Coda 10.5 which happens to be Class A for the first 15 watts and can be found actually for about $700, any number of Bel Canto's which aren't my cup of tea, but folks rave about them...the list of inventory available to one even only at $1k is endless.

What I'll hear in the way of presentation between a Class A design vs. a typical a A/B amp design will itself differ widely. It's widely recognized amongst many within the amplifier community the king that still sits atop the throne is a Class A design. I'm no technical guru by any means. Sure I can appreciate reading all the stats' and design differences but what I trust most are my ears. Being a self taught musician I've learned to tune into what note/pitch I'm hearing. What I'd bring to the table in any A/B evaluation between products is not so much a technical expertise as much as a trained ear. Turn out the lights, spin the vinyl, or cd, and one can actually hear the electronics they're listening to. A typically Class A design, on average, is going to project a soundstage with greater depth, width, musicality, speed, dynamics, and that special something that you can't quite put your finger on until it dawns upon one day: geez, that just came out of a silent, stark, vast, deep black hole. You're not going to get that kind of a projection from a Sunfire, because its not inherent in its design. By comparison sure, the power to drive your speakers to fabulous levels will be there, but in musicality the Sunfire will sound sterile by comparison. It doesn't require being a musician or having perfect pitch to discern these differences between products. But it does require experience in listening to a variety of different products to hear their design differences, and perhaps even more so, it requires a curiosity on the part of one to ask the question: Hey, are there differences between designs and are those differences significant enough for me to invest the time, resources, and effort to discover them?

I'd suggest there are vast differences to be found if one takes the time. But ultimately that's a question each individual has to answer for themselves.

What do you hear when you listen to your amp of choice?

Enjoy!:music:

Hi 2B,

You seem to have substantive knowledge regarding ML's, amps, etc.

Hi Gordon,
I wouldn't refer to my knowledge as substantive, but more types of amps have graced the halls of my listening room over the years than I can recall. It would be fair to say I've developed a penchant for sampling lots of different types of gear.

You seem to be inferring that you like tubes vs SS. That's fine with me. I prefer the opposite. Actually no, I've no real preference for either. Depending upon my mood, I'll freely interchange them. Think of it as swapping out a SS to bask in the glow of tube bloom if the mood so strikes you. I generally have one of each on hand at any given moment for that very purpose.

Prior to buying my Pass Labs, I auditioned a VTL 150 for two weeks in my system. Although it had a sumptuous mid range and extended but somewhat diffuse highs, I found it ultimately unengaging. VTL makes a great product, although I'd question whether the amp you've suggested had the spunk to truly power a pair of CLS's. It could do fine in a bi-amping situation where it was being used to only power the panels say of an SL3 etc., but certainly it wouldn't be able to do justice to a pair of CLS's. One would need a tube amp with greater power for a task that large. Pass Labs makes great products, and I've owned many of their Aleph line.

As I'm sure you know, audio is a very personal / subjective hobby and, in my mind, there is no best. That's up to each individual to discern with their own system in their own room with their own ears. So when you say "trust me" regarding your reaction to the 450 amps with your CLS speakers, it is merely one persons' opinion. You're preachin' to the choir Gordon, for I also am of the belief that beauty is in the ear of the beholder for all things audio, especially given the real world budgetary constraints of the average individual in this hobby. ;) However, the Manley 450's performance connected to the CLS's in particular weren't a slight difference opined by myself. Every person taking part in listening sessions within my room made the same observations on their own without any prodding from me. I'll generally introduce a new item and after developing a sense of its performance I'll invite friends over to gain insights into their observations. In that particular instance the 450's were an overwhelming choice over some rather stellar SS designs I had on hand at the time.

Having said that, I'm glad you like the combo.

So Gordon, is it fair to say that you chose a Pass Labs product to power your ML's for an audibly discernible reason that amp provided? That was the intent I had in opening this line of discussion.

Enjoy!

Hey Gordon,

I am also in the SS camp pretty solidly. However, there are some expensive tube amps that do most of the things SS amps do, + give you that midrange and 3-dimensionality. Listening to the Atma-spheres on my Spires was eye opening. It was the only amp that made my SS CJ 350 a second class citizen. I wonder what you would have thought of the VTL if you tried the 450 instead of the 150...

Hi David,

To that I'd add that one could perhaps exceed SS state levels of performance without a huge expense simply by buying used product. Even in the $2k range there are some fine used tube amps that would put many SS amps to shame. But, strictly in the area of amplification, raise the budget for amplification to $3-$4k and an entire world of tube products become available to you that would make the average person stand up and take notice of their presentation. I didn't believe that was possible until the well reviewed Plinius SA250MkIV I owned at the time was shamed to a degree by a pair of Manley 450 mono's mated to my CLSiiz's. To be certain the Plinius drove the CLS's with a level of authority and finesse not common to SS amps, but plugging in the Manley's removed a veil within the presentation that I'd not previously been aware of. I've never spent more than $4k on any amp in my system. And in fact I'd not have considered the Manley's had it not been for the fact a friend of mine who happens to be a local BAT distributor had a pair to preview that he'd taken in on trade. Within a few days of listening sessions that prompted me to go well into the night I wondered who'd consider trading these in, and why?

Enjoy!

Back