Munich Hi-End 2011 Hi-Fi Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their website says the sub-base diaghram is full three feet (!) in diameter. More of a trampoline I'd say. I guess the sub-bass horn isn't in the photo though?

And I have to assume "Concrete" means something sexy and seductive in French... because over here it's the thing you drop watermelons on from the tops of tall buildings.

And I have to assume "Concrete" means something sexy and seductive in French... because over here it's the thing you drop watermelons on from the tops of tall buildings.
In this case I think it means "palpable", an overused term in this hobby.

Sounds like you had a mis-spent youth. Yes, I know, your wife says you have not grown up ! :p

Todd,

I think the Brits use the term "randy" more than "horny".

And yes, thank you for the pics Justin.

I dunno I think randy is a bit 1970s TBH - maybe it is still used in some parts, though.

Anyway, here's the horny French thingies. Select HD and view fullscreen. If YouTube keeps stuttering, hit the pause button and wait for the rest of the video to load whilst you are surfing elsewhere. Then hit play when it is done.

The MSB digital kit seemed to feature in a lot of rooms.

I've run out of Shazams - should buy it really - if anyone knows what is playing, please post as I like it quite a bit.

Last edited:
Has to be MBL time now. 101 X-treme. This demo had some chap playing the Cello which I caught on video. He was pretty good, but in a room of about 30 odd people, he started talking and went on for ages. When he finished, there were about 10 people left in the room:D Not too good.

Anyway, they were, of course, fed with a diet of classical music - which they are very good with. One day I hope to hear them with some serious electronic music - just to get the system doing something. Those huge woofer towers barely moved. Tonally they sound much like a 101E - no surprises there - same drivers - just bigger scale. Better than in Hong Kong - no recordings of Chinese school kids and the like to contend with.

So here's a few snaps of the system. Can you really take those white components? A bit much, if you ask me.

Attachments

• SDC13212-qpr.jpg
    SDC13212-qpr.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 495
  • SDC13207-qpr.jpg
    SDC13207-qpr.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 514
  • SDC13208-qpr.jpg
    SDC13208-qpr.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 444
  • SDC13206-qpr.jpg
    SDC13206-qpr.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 481
  • SDC13211-qpr.jpg
    SDC13211-qpr.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 516
More, ahem, white stuff...

Attachments

• SDC13225-qpr.jpg
    SDC13225-qpr.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 483
  • SDC13221-qpr.jpg
    SDC13221-qpr.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 481
  • SDC13222-qpr.jpg
    SDC13222-qpr.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 514
  • SDC13220-qpr.jpg
    SDC13220-qpr.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 439
  • SDC13228-qpr.jpg
    SDC13228-qpr.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 423
MBLs caught doing non-classical stuff...

TBH I just know these things would be killer with electronic music too. Especially judging from what I have heard from the lesser 116F doing exactly that.

Well worth a watch in as this one came out well.

Last edited:
Onto the $107,000 odd Anat III loudspeaker. Not worth it. Not the best loudspeaker on earth, as their ads claim. No shock there.

I simply thought they were good. But I had a bit of a problem with them. All the mid range/top end comes from the box at the top. And that sounds weird when seated. It is too high up. I noticed they had the backs raised substantially and I'd bet that is to try and solve this obvious problem. But then, why create it in the first place? Just thoughtless design, I think, but I suppose some may like this odd effect. Hard to see who, though.

Powered by ASR electronics, which seemed competent enough and could even be excellent. When I was in there, it was a long Pink Floyd vinyl session, but the vinyl was f&*%$d - really noisy. Not very professional.

Attachments

• SDC13202-qpr.jpg
    SDC13202-qpr.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 446
  • SDC13200-qpr.jpg
    SDC13200-qpr.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 504
  • SDC13201-qpr.jpg
    SDC13201-qpr.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 446
  • SDC13198-qpr.jpg
    SDC13198-qpr.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 516
  • SDC13203-qpr.jpg
    SDC13203-qpr.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 425
Hi Justin,

From my perspective, nothing shows off a systems true capability more than classical music. Your system has to do many things right for this type music to sound good.

I've had three chances to listen to the Anat Ref but not V3. Most recently at GTT Audio. Material auditioned was jazz and classical. Jazz music consisting of vocals, piano, horns, percussion and acoustic bass can also tell you alot about a systems performance. I didn't hear what you are describing. I think something else was going on.

Again, thanks for the comments and coverage.

Gordon

Last edited:
Some colourful tube amps from Italian company Triode on display only...

That's all for today. Things to do, places to go...:)

Attachments

• SDC13096-qpr.jpg
    SDC13096-qpr.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 426
  • SDC13094-qpr.jpg
    SDC13094-qpr.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 494
  • SDC13095-qpr.jpg
    SDC13095-qpr.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 440
  • SDC13093-qpr.jpg
    SDC13093-qpr.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 434
  • SDC13097-qpr.jpg
    SDC13097-qpr.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 430
Hi Justin,

More "serious" music than classical?

From my perspective, nothing shows off a systems true capability more than classical music.

If you're talking boom boom, that's another matter but I personally don't consider that serious per se.

I've had three chances to listen to the Anat Ref but not V3. Most recently at GTT Audio. Material auditioned was jazz and classical. You probably don't consider jazz serious music either although vocals, piano, horns, percussion and acoustic bass can tell you alot about a systems performance.

I didn't hear what you are describing.

Again, thanks for the comments and coverage.

Gordon

Interesting interpretation, Gordon. I just meant serious as pertaining to electronic music, I wasn't saying classical music isn't serious, which of course it is - very much so for many - especially from an emotional point of view.

With regards to the Anat, I could see that if you were seated some good distance away, the fact the mid/top comes from such a high height wouldn't really be an issue. I was seated quite close out of necessity due to the availability of seats.

Hope that clarifies a little further.

BTW: with regards to serious electronic music, I mean the variety that has obviously been created with considerable expertise, not only in the field of programming with sequencers and the use of high tech equipment in general, but also that which evokes some considerable emotion too. I think even you probably appreciate stuff by Massive Attack. Younger Brother's first two albums would be another example.

Justin

You should really get some sort of award for bringing all this fun to the forum. I don't do donations... but I have to assume others here might ;)

Again, really great stuff and thanks for bringing it all "home".

Cheers

Todd - rest assured I enjoy sharing it as much as I hope others are enjoying consuming it.

BTW: I don't accept donations of less than £100,000. Everyone's money is safe:)

This demo had some chap playing the Cello which I caught on video. He was pretty good, but in a room of about 30 odd people, he started talking and went on for ages. When he finished, there were about 10 people left in the room:D Not too good.

Have you posted that vid?

More, ahem, white stuff...

I agree. It is f'ugly - period. Are they just trying to copy Apple - I hope not. It shows no understanding of design principles to simply copy one aspect like that. I've never really liked the look of MBL (electronics) anyway.

I agree. It is f'ugly - period. Are they just trying to copy Apple - I hope not. It shows no understanding of design principles to simply copy one aspect like that. I've never really liked the look of MBL (electronics) anyway.

I know - found out German women aren't my taste either. I was going to post that vid for Gordon tomorrow.

Justin , thanks for taking the time to share your experience, I feel like I was at the show. Did they have the Scaena set up there if so what were your thoughts ?

Latest posts

Back