Motion series??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emsdad

Reaction score
I have a Motion 8 center, Motion 12's in the front and Motion 10's in the back. I am driving them with a Denon AVR-591. After some research and a call to ML I found out I need a receiver that is 4 ohm. My Denon is 8 ohm and is only 75 watts. I am looking at the Integra 40.4 which is 210 watts at 4 ohms. My question is will it make that big of a difference in sound? They sound good as it is. Is there any other AV receivers I should look at?

Hola. Denon specs are rated at 8 ohms, but this does not means, that the unit is not capable to work with speakers that have 4 ohms of impedance. All amplifiers, integrated amps and receivers on these days, are designed with taking in mind that you might use speakers with 4 ohms of impedance, so it is implied. Some manufactures go even further, and you can use speakers with less impedance, being safe for the output stage of the amp and handle the high current that will be there, having almost a short circuit at their binding posts. On the other hand, the Integra is a fine audio brand as many others in the market place. My advice, trust your ears, and choose the one that you liked most. You can listen also, Marantz, Nad, Outlaw, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Sherwood, Harman Kardon, Arcam to name a few. Happy listening!

I understand what you are saying. The Motion series are capable of 8 ohm load. I called Denon and they said that the AVR 591 is not capable of a 4 ohm load. I was told that on surround I may not notice much difference when it comes to a 4 or 8 ohm receiver, but on music I would be able to hear a big difference. Just trying to justify spending 1000.+ on a receiver. I want to get the most out of the ML's.

The Motion series are capable of 8 ohm load.

actually the speaker is not whats capable, rather the receiver / amplifier since it see's the load load presented to it by the speaker.

I called Denon and they said that the AVR 591 is not capable of a 4 ohm load.

the fact that you are curently using it tells us differently, I suspect what they are saying is that it is not 'rated' into a 4 ohm load and in all probability can't sustain it or one lower.

I was told that on surround I may not notice much difference when it comes to a 4 or 8 ohm receiver, but on music I would be able to hear a big difference.

not entirely true, again I feel what is being said is that the freq range in which 'special effects' are produced will not have the same negative impact on your hearing perception as would known musical content in that same freq range.

I want to get the most out of the ML's.

then don't buy a receiver, look towards quality seperates, integrated, etc

1k in the used market can serve you well !

Back