Motif X vs Theater I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle_jerry

Reaction score
These seem to be about the same price used (within a few hundred dollars.

The theater i is massive, the Motif X is newer, which may translate into sonic improvements.

Has anyone heard both of these?

FWIW I bought the one of the last of the Motifs, right at the point where the Motif-X was just about to be released. I don't regret buying it, but, I'm a firm believer in the Folded Motion Transducer and think the Motif-X would be a slight improvement.

That being said, a slightly larger center speaker would be welcome so it could blend just a tiny bit better with my Vistas. I run my system hard on Movie Nights and it all works very well, especially when lots of action sounds are moving across the front speakers, but when it's quieter and it's mostly the center speaker by itself I'd like a bit more "body" to the sound.

Lastly, a speaker as old as the Theater is one that would be cause for concern about the age of the stat panel.

Yes, I was worried about panel life.
You never know with newer products....sometimes they are new models because they are improved...sometimes because they are more profitable for the company.

The Theater i might also sound amazing but be so big, less people were buying them, so they went with a smaller, less amazing sounding, but more marketable speaker.

Frankly, when I purchased the Motif I had a 43" plasma and lived in an apartment, it was perfect. A year later I bought a house, upsized to a 55", then a 65". Then came the time to knock down the walls and make a big room, so now it's a 100" projection. The construction is done but finishing up a few punchlist items.

The point of this is to say that it's only now that the center speaker could stand to be a bit larger because of the much larger room volume. And again, I only feel the slight need when it's the only speaker making sound, and this is mostly when watching older movies like I'll be watching for tomorrow's Movie Night.

Motif to focus was night and day. More of a floor standing speaker type feel and the speaker is massive compaired to the motif. Mine is temporarily paired with vistas and I love the sound.

Back