Moscode 402Au anyone?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvitez

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased or heard a Moscode 402Au with ML's? A local dealer has started stocking them so I'd to try it, but curious if anyone else has. I've read TonePub's review and noted his accolade in other posts here, plus Stereophile's review. Anyone else have personal experience?

Would my hybrid pre-amp be too "tubey" with a hybrid power amp? I very much like my Ayre amp, but I'd like more punch, more liveliness, and more bass.

Hi jv,

If your hybrid preamp is the SF SFL 1, I don't believe it's a hybrid but a tube preamp.

Having owned one in the past (paired, by the way, with the Original Moscode 300), the SFL 1 is a lovely piece but highly colored. The classic tube sound. If you want more punch, etc., I would suggest another more neutral sounding piece.

GG

PS: Don't have any experience with the "platinum upgrade". Perhaps that eliminated some of the tube coloration.

Last edited:
I was always told the SFL-1 is a hybrid. It only has 1 tube. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I never thought it was colored at all, more like a nice balance between SS extension and tube midrange. It sounds even better with the Parts Connexion upgrade. That's why I'm planning on keeping it and upgrading the power amp.

I'm looking for smooth, liquid, inner detail midrange, but some liveliness and punch. My previous Bel Canto eVo4 had punch, and acceptable midrange, but it sounds far better in bridged mode which doesn't with ML's impedance curve. The Ayre amp has a much better midrange, but lost punch and bass. Adjusting my Summits 25 and 50 Hz dials does help, but it still sounds "soft." Not sure if I'm explaining it clearly. The bass does go deep with the right source material, but it sounds somewhat slow and soft. My Nordost cabling brought speed and glorious top end air, and did improve bass extension somewhat but didn't seem to give that same sense of speed to the bottom end as the top.

Since I'm trying to combine the SS and tube sounds, I wondered if the Moscode would be what I'm looking for.

Hi JV,

My experience with the SF1 was different (very pleasant but quite lush) but, as I previously stated, it was a "stock" unit. Also had the CLS2A's at the time.

Best option to explore is a "money back" in home audition. Hopefully, you can have for one week minimum. Also make sure the Moscode is broken in before auditioning, if that is an issue.

Sounds like you got a handle on what you want. Only you can decide if the Moscode gets you there.

Good luck.

GG

Sounds like you got a handle on what you want. Only you can decide if the Moscode gets you there. Good luck.GG[/QUOTE said:
My tastes are simple: I like the best! :D

I'm definitely going to contact the dealer and see if I can get a home demo.

Hmmm, I just dug deeper into Stereophile's Sept 09 review of this amp, and in the Measurements section it said the amplifier has problems driving loads below 4 ohms. Not great for ML's, especially as I was considering it for a second system using my old but still fine Sequel II's. I guess it's off my list now. Rats.

Back