Mogami W3082 vs Goertz Aplha Core Speaker Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtucker

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade my speaker cables. I have Montis driven by Pass INT-150. Looking at the available literature (Roger Sanders, etc), it looks like low inductance at the expese of higher capacitance cables are the way to go. Checking the impedance curve of Montis from Stereophile review shows the capacitance of the panel is a whopping 10 uF. So even a few nF / foot should not present a problem right now I am looking at Mogami W3082 coax (120 nH / ft, 77 pF / ft) or Goertz MI 2 (6 nH / ft, 950 pF / ft). The Goertz has 20 times less inductance and 12 time more capacitance (expected based on the geometry). For an 8 ft run 7600 pF seems a lot of capacitance, but not I suppose with 10 uF panel connected to it. What do you all think? Anyone ever tried either of these?

Yes, cables like the Goertz MI 2 can be a problem for some legacy and boutique power amplifiers.
But for any modern, well designed, accurate amplifier they won't be a problem.

With any speaker cable what matters most is total end-to-end resistance with respect to the loudspeaker impedance curve.

Total end-to-end inductance only matters with loudspeakers that have a very low impedance at high frequencies (think Apogee and some ML).

Speedskater,

"Total end-to-end inductance only matters with loudspeakers that have a very low impedance at high frequencies (think Apogee and some ML)." Yes exactly. I want to use this for ML Montis. Half an ohm at 20 kHz, 10 uF capacitive load.

The best solution for problematic loudspeakers is very short speaker cables.
I put my amps right behind each speaker and use long interconnects.

I have an integrated, so that is not a possibility. Amp is in between speakers so the runs are pretty short. I will probably do 8 foot in case I need to rearrange.

Checking the impedance curve of Montis from Stereophile review shows the capacitance of the panel is a whopping 10 uF. (snip)

Could you explain how you got 10uF from the Z curve?

In front of my Ascents there's around 35uF in the high pass section alone....

Tosh, If you look at the impedance curve here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/martinlogan-montis-loudspeaker-measurements
you can see the speaker is basically capacitive from about 3.5 kHz to 20 kHz. Above 20 kHz the speaker becomes inductive. For the capacitive portion, piking a convenient frequency such as 8 kHz (any place on the linear portion will work) C = 1 / (2 * pi * R * F) = 1 / ( 2 * 3.1416 * 2 * 8000) = 9.95E-6 Farads (~ 10 uF).

Back