ML subwoofers or JL Audio ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatancdan

Reaction score
Which ML subwoofers are built in North America now? Would ML subs be considered better match to ML electrostatics compared to JL Audio subs?

In some recordings seem to miss my Velodyne subwoofer but want either JL audio or ML subwoofer...

Would would you go with? Would 2 subs be to much for 10 ft x 20 ft room?

Dan

In my experience, the Descent and the F113 are pretty comparable subs. Some people prefer the F113, some prefer the Descent, but they're both very competent. I tried 2 F112's in my system for a short time and they were good, but I felt that they didn't really provide me any advantage over my single Descent. Today, I just have a single F212 and it is a beast of a sub - tight and accurate, but able to move massive air. Whichever models you buy, you can't go wrong, I think. And no, 2 subs wouldn't be too much in that room. That is what the gain knob is for. :)

There'll be some interesting responses to this thread. I await with interest.

Dan

Definitely not. The benefit of two subs is nothing to do with gain or overpowering. It has to do with dispersion, phase accuracy and overall smoothness.

My jjl 112 only goes up to about 120 hz or so. My descent I goes up to better than 150. Descent has better low end but jl seems punchier. I have matched them in one room with audyssey xt 32. Seems to work well. The high frequency response is important for blending in my 7.2 system. Xover for center is at 120 hz set by audyssey pro for my stage center.

I run a single JL F112 with my CLS IIz with excellent results in a 2 channel system only, my room size is 10 ft x 18 ft. I do have a fair amount of bass trapping and run an external electronic crossover. I currently have my xover set at 88 Hz using a 24 dB roll to my F112. I can't imagine needing more sub in a room that size but maybe for movies.....

I've never heard a ML sub so can't comment on the differences.

I'm using a pair of JL 112's in my 2 channel set. I believe I have them set up very well, but it took alot of work. My room is about 11X23 and it is a multi-purpose room. My better half has accepted all the traps and absorbers in our living room. Seriously. Our living room is full of them.

I don't think I'll ever be looking for new subs. They keep up with the Spires and are very flexible for tuning to the room.

Gordon

Hello,

Both JL and Martin Logan subs are very good. I recently put in 2 Depth i's in my 12x20 room and am very happy

Hello,
I prefer the Descent i and even the Depth i to the JL Subwoofers when using with MartinLogan Electrostats. There is something to be said for the I think 7 Years that Gayle Sanders and the ML Engineers spent Designing the first Descent to be optimized for ESL's.
Cheers.
JJ

Which ML subwoofers are built in North America now?

none, they have been built in China for years now

Would ML subs be considered better match to ML electrostatics compared to JL Audio subs?

not necessarily but then again are M/L's best better than JL's best....nope

In some recordings seem to miss my Velodyne subwoofer but want either JL audio or ML subwoofer...

Would would you go with?

with what I could afford, going in debit for ones 'toys' is pure stupidity

Would 2 subs be to much for 10 ft x 20 ft room?

Dan

nope.....as per answer above (amey's)

How many subs do you need

Which ML subwoofers are built in North America now? Would ML subs be considered better match to ML electrostatics compared to JL Audio subs?

I have a pair of Descent-i's in front and a pair of Descents in the rear of a 21 x 15 room. There have been a number of acoustics papers on multiple subs for smoothing out bass response in a room. When dialed in, the bass response from 4 subs is honest rather than heart-stopping. The M-L subs are also designed to mate with their ESL's. It is likely that other subs such as the JLs,RELs or Paradigms could work as well. The most critical issue is to take the time to establish position of the subs, adjust their phasing, and, just as important, their levels. If you have a frequency analyzer (some subs come with this feature), smooth frequency response in the low bass levels can be optimized. One thing that you will appreciate with multiple subs is that the midrange gets much better.

Latest posts

Back