McIntosh MC275 vs. McIntosh 6700 - powering ML Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerneil

Reaction score
Other ML Owners,

I currently have a pair of ML Montis speakers and I power them with a McIntosh 6700 solid state, integrated amp. I am considering purchasing a McIntosh MC275 tube amp. I would continue (at least for now) to use my 6700 as a pre-amp, with power then coming from the new MC275 tube amp.

Are there other amps I could consider - Yes, for sure, but I have a very special place in my heart for McIntosh so I will be sticking with the brand.

My question - has anyone ever heard, or had any experience with a change that is similar to what I am proposing.

(I'm hoping not to hear any lectures on "you should consider XXX amp, or ZZZ amp". My love for McIntosh goes back to my high school and college days when I used to drool over them thinking I would never in my lifetime have the opportunity to own one. No one else might understand, but it's important and real to me.)

I realize the question is a long shot, but I figured this forum would be the place to post it.

Thanks,

Neil

Other ML Owners,

I currently have a pair of ML Montis speakers and I power them with a McIntosh 6700 solid state, integrated amp. I am considering purchasing a McIntosh MC275 tube amp. I would continue (at least for now) to use my 6700 as a pre-amp, with power then coming from the new MC275 tube amp.

Are there other amps I could consider - Yes, for sure, but I have a very special place in my heart for McIntosh so I will be sticking with the brand.

My question - has anyone ever heard, or had any experience with a change that is similar to what I am proposing.

(I'm hoping not to hear any lectures on "you should consider XXX amp, or ZZZ amp". My love for McIntosh goes back to my high school and college days when I used to drool over them thinking I would never in my lifetime have the opportunity to own one. No one else might understand, but it's important and real to me.)

I realize the question is a long shot, but I figured this forum would be the place to post it.

Thanks,

Neil

I have always been a huge McIntosh fan myself, only recently was able to get an amp. When I recently upgraded to the 11As, same panel size as Montis, I needed to get a new amp. I heard the mc275VI matched with the 11As and they sounded great, though it wasn't a long demo. I ended up picking up a mc452 since the soundstage was broader and more 3D and got a good deal. Some say a single mc275 is a tad underpowered for the bigger MLs and it's better to have 2 mc275's running as monos to get better overall performance and bass response.

It all depends on what you would like to change about the sound you currently have. You would be amazed at the change in sound coming out of the MLs when you throw more power at them. I absolutely love the mc452, and since the mc462 is out you can get them at a decent price used. I haven't heard the McIntosh integrateds used as a pre. My ultimate goal is to pick up a tube pre to get best of both worlds.

FWIW, and it's not much, Magnolia Design Centers inside of some Best Buys have the mc275s connected to the 11As, and I think Montis's before that. Horrible setup since its in the entrance out in the open but if you have one near you could go at least hear them. Though I think they have it connected to the c2600 tube pre-amp.

I have a buddy that just upgraded from the Mac 275 to a SS amp similar to the MC452. He could not believe the difference when more power was thrown at it like Zigman said. My advice would be to not get the 275 amp. If you like the tube part AR has a nice one that my buddy has and is loving it. I know both of the responses are kind not not what you wanted as far as more choices but bottom line the Mac 275 just comes up short powerwise to really let a ML sing like it should.

Thanks for your replies above. I have done more research and visited a few more local stores, and I will not be pursuing the plan above.

I am currently looking at several different options including:
- McIntosh MC462 + C2600
- 2 - McIntosh MC275's + C47
- Other manufacturers - though I would sadly miss my blue dials :(

I am in no hurry, and will listen to each setup, read all reviews, listen to others.

Thanks for input.

Back