Mcintosh 7270 and Theos Mac owners need your thoughts!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcobramatt

Reaction score
Anyone own or have had experience with Mcintosh 7270 amp and/or a c35n preamp? I have a gentleman who has both for sale and I may be able to purchase both around 1800. He also has the Krell kav250a I am considering at a much lower price of 900 and for 50 more I can get a B&K Ref 20 pre. I know very little about the Mac equipment other than it gets high reviews from everyone. As a match to my Theos what would be the way to go? Mac pre and the krell, krell and the b&k or all Mac? I'm wanting to know budget wise as well as sound quality. Maybe one or the other is overpriced or underpriced I dont know as I dont have access to Agon blue book

If anyone has personal experience with any please post up! I may take advantagr of paypal's 6 mo same as cash and jump in with both feet

Hi cool,

I'm not dead yet.

I have no personal knowledge of this gear. And even if another member did, his opinion would be entirely subjective and system / room dependent.

If you can, arrange for an audition in your system with a money back option.

That's the only way you will know for sure.

Good luck.

GG

PS: If the 7270 is a tube amp, you may also want to check on current tube condition and re-tubing costs.

Last edited:
Hi cool,

I'm not dead yet.

I have no personal knowledge of this gear. And even if another member did, his opinion would be entirely subjective and system / room dependent.

If you can, arrange for an audition in your system with a money back option.

That's the only way you will know for sure.

Good luck.

GG

PS: If the 7270 is a tube amp, you may also want to check on current tube condition and re-tubing costs.

Thanks Gordon. It's used equipment and the guy is 10 hrs from me. Kinda have to fly blind unfortunately. The 7270 is SS.

Matt, since you have to fly blind, I suggest you google the units and read the reviews.

You may get first-hand experience from the guys at Audio Aficionado on the Macs. Lots of Mac enthusiasts there. It's really mind-boggling what the guys there have.

Matt, since you have to fly blind, I suggest you google the units and read the reviews.

You may get first-hand experience from the guys at Audio Aficionado on the Macs. Lots of Mac enthusiasts there. It's really mind-boggling what the guys there have.

Been Googling all day lol...I'm close to making the deal. For 1800 I don't think I can let two nice pieces of Mac go.

Well the finance special isn't for private purchases so I am going to have to go with the Krell and B&K, maybe try and get the MAC preamp if possible.

Back