maybe back into ML's...need some of yall's advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a completely differant pair of speakers that has been listed for 19 days.Please check to make sure your facts are correct before negative replies.Please remember that the guy is on a budget.Saving $200 or $300 may make the differance between buying or having to let them go.It seems like at times people forget that not everyone can spend thousands of dollars at the drop of a hat.

Yeah you are right their are another pair I missed sorry .but why would you buy those they are more money and the cheaper ones come with a new set of panels and look in perfect condition :confused: I think my intentions are being a little misunderstood I would like you to get them for free if you could and its just that I was trying to express the fact that if you lowball to hard up front they will not want to deal with you this is true with any used market not just the gon. many of the auctions on that site are fairly firm with the inference that the price is already so low to ask for better is almost disrespectful and a waist of time to the seller. I would always try to negotiate just be careful not to be labeled a lowballer most are willing to deal a little just not taken advantage of. and remember yes in other countries it is custom to haggle for a cheaper price but this is the U.S.A not Mexico or Asia and many of these items especially the speakers are greatly loved by the seller who may need the money just as badly as you do never forget that. and really if a couple of hundred one way or another decides if you can afford them It may be time to wait and save your money many times in my life I have had to do this not fun at all but in the end it is much more worth while and fulfilling.I think this is something the entire country is beginning to learn or at least I would hope so

just my 2cents for anybody no disrespect intended

Last edited:
Horchem and Fishman...I did see and contact both the sellers on there with the ReQuests. Tom had recommended those to me last time I was active on the board and I was THIS close to buying a a set but they sold first.

That set in Lexington was very attractive since I could drive up and get them. That seller replied he still had them but he hasn't to my last email inquiring into bottom dollar. The other set with new panels was even nicer but the shipping was going to ruin the deal. It looked like the Sources or Clarities might be my best options.

It seemed that the guy with the Sources might go as low as $1000 shipped, which I assumed was a great price. I do miss the sound of those SL3 panels though!

Not sure if my MF would have enough power to take on ReQuests though. It seems to be less powerful than the older A300 I owned before. That integrated ran my Aeon i's well. Wish I had never sold it.

Thanks again for the input so far. With the economy the way it is, at least I can be patient and wait for the right deal. Those ReQuests would be the ones I would rather pickup if the price was lower. We'll just wait and see.

I have Sources as rear channels in a 5.1 music system. The Sources really surprised me, they sound great from top to bottom and for their size they are hard to beat for that ML sound. I got them for 1100 last summer off Agon. They were well worth it and you can always turn around and sell them if they don't meet your needs, they have a good reputation and seem to sell pretty quick when they do go up for sale. Hopefully they can ship them to you in the original boxes, they are not that small when boxed. They do respond nicely to ML placement stragegies, so be sure to go through the paces when setting them up. Good Luck. Oh and forgive Bernard, he can post some funny stuff, but when he posts serious stuff, I think he gets misunderstood:ROFL:

Matt,

The Sources' TAS recommendation is well deserved. It easily conveys the musicality inherent in other ML designs. I was compelled to listen to it for hours but I think the store needed to close and the sales person needed to go home. If compared to the larger panels of the Vista (which is what I ended up with), it may not sound as big, or relaxed, but that is a matter of taste. On the other hand, the up front presentation and strong mid bass was very appealing and can go very far in conveying the emotional impact of music. Compare for yourself, and try some of the older MLs recommended here if you decide to pass on the Source. Good Luck and Happy Listening!

Crusty

It seemed that the guy with the Sources might go as low as $1000 shipped, which I assumed was a great price. I do miss the sound of those SL3 panels though!

Not sure if my MF would have enough power to take on ReQuests though. It seems to be less powerful than the older A300 I owned before. That integrated ran my Aeon i's well. Wish I had never sold it.

Thanks again for the input so far. With the economy the way it is, at least I can be patient and wait for the right deal. Those ReQuests would be the ones I would rather pickup if the price was lower. We'll just wait and see.

Typically, the larger the speaker, the easier it is to drive. The Requests are rated at 90db and 4 ohms which is a little more sensitive than the Aeons 89 db @ 4 ohms. The Source would a slight edge over the Aeon an Request with a sensitivity rating of 90db @ 5 ohms. They all three are fairly close.

The Ascent/Ascent i is also a great value in late model used MLs and I've seen them offered on the 'gon as low as $1600.

Last edited:
well no replies from any of those sellers so I guess I wont be doing anything right now lol.

I was leaning towards the Sources unless that ReQuests were ready to negotiate. People on Agon just dont reply much I guess.

Latest posts

Back