maybe back into ML's...need some of yall's advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcobramatt

Reaction score
Havent had any of the ML sound in over a year so here's my question since I dont know the new line. Are the Sources basically the Clarity? I'm looking at a few sets of them used and the prices seem comparable. I had Aeon i's and they never sounded quite as open as the SL3's I owned years ago.

If I don't buy some new MLs I may just list my Musical Fidelity 3.5 and get out of home audio for awhile entirely.

Your thoughts are very welcome!

If I don't buy some new MLs I may just list my Musical Fidelity 3.5 and get out of home audio for awhile entirely.

Your thoughts are very welcome!
Just curious ! If you can dismiss home audio so casually, it can't be very important to you, so why spend the money?

If you can't/won't decide then I suggest you bail out, got to Walmart and get yourself a Sony something to listen to and see what happens. I've found that this is not a grey area hobby; either you commit to doing it right or don't.

If you decide to stay in your MF 3.5 deserves better....Look for a pair of used Vista and start the new year right!

Last edited:
The Source speaker appears to be a replacement for the Clarity. However, the Source is of course a totally redesigned and updated speaker but I still think the Clarity is one of the best looking speakers from ML. I've never owned either one but have briefly heard both and would certainly consider either one to be an outstanding speaker in their price range and are very compact for an electrostat type speaker.

The Jan 09 issue of "The Absolute Sound" awarded the "Source" as one of their "Products of the Year" and includes a short review.

Now is actually a good time to buy and tough time to sell used gear. May as well put that MF 3.5 to good use.

Last edited:
I do not really agree I own the clarity's and I think that the sources look a bit better.

Just curious ! If you can dismiss home audio so casually, it can't be very important to you, so why spend the money?

Audiosnob I assume :bowdown:. I wont even dignify this with a response.

Everyone else thanks for your input. Craig...exactly what I was hoping to discover.

For the record, I am a single father raising two youngsters on my own. My car and my home audio are the only two luxuries I afford myself, and at times selling the audio equipment has helped me get through tough times. And yes I've sold the car before to help out. With tax season coming in, I am considering investing again in the speakers I've always thought were the best investment out there, and also the best sounding. Bernard, you will excuse me for not having the huge salary you obviously must earn.

Last edited:
Hey Matt,

We all have different circumstances and priorities in our lives, of course. Glad you're getting back to the wonderful world of Logans!! I'm sure Bernard didn't mean to sound that way.

What's your budget like? I like SL3s, but some of the newer logans will be easier to drive and also easier to live with since they're smaller.

be cool coolcobramatt bernard is a nice guy and I am sure he did not mean to upset you or give you the audiophile highbrow. the later part of your original post is a little incoherent and I think we are just trying to find out your intentions

The latter part simply meant my amp is just sitting on my amp rack gathering dust, as I have no speakers at the moment. I'm getting tempted to go back with ML's as I miss the sound, and the amp is wasted just sitting. On the other hand, selling it (it is on Agon as we speak) would pay off a few bills.

Positives and negatives both ways but it has nothing to do with my love of the hobby. Once my sugarmomma comes along, I won't have to make such a decision again :ROFL:.

Tom...I started out years ago with Sequel II's with SL3 panels, and that spoiled me. My Aeon i's never matched the 3D sound and dispersion that the SII's had. My budget is very limited, to answer your question. I saw on Agon a seller with Claritys for $1100 and one with Sources for $1200. Didnt know if the newer technology was better, bigger panels, etc. You all are my source of knowledge, after searching the site as well. I value your opinions and thank you for offering them.

Audiosnob I assume :bowdown:. I wont even dignify this with a response.
My sincere apologies if my comment came across that way. Since you said that you may just sell your stuff and get out of the hobby altogether, I concluded that the hobby was not very important to you, so was wondering why you would want to spend money on something that was not important. I was not implying that you should spend bundles of money. This hobby can be a black hole for money. If you check my system page you will see that I have one of the more modest systems. Again, my apologies.

Thanks for the support guys.

The latter part simply meant my amp is just sitting on my amp rack gathering dust, as I have no speakers at the moment. I'm getting tempted to go back with ML's as I miss the sound, and the amp is wasted just sitting. On the other hand, selling it (it is on Agon as we speak) would pay off a few bills.

Positives and negatives both ways but it has nothing to do with my love of the hobby. Once my sugarmomma comes along, I won't have to make such a decision again :ROFL:.

Tom...I started out years ago with Sequel II's with SL3 panels, and that spoiled me. My Aeon i's never matched the 3D sound and dispersion that the SII's had. My budget is very limited, to answer your question. I saw on Agon a seller with Claritys for $1100 and one with Sources for $1200. Didnt know if the newer technology was better, bigger panels, etc. You all are my source of knowledge, after searching the site as well. I value your opinions and thank you for offering them.
Hola...I think that the panels are the about same size...the Clarities have clear spars and the Source do not. The Clarities is a discontinued product...the Source is a current product. Sound? To my ears, both are great speakers...I like better the bass at the Source, but this is my liking. The Clarities have a pair of tweeters for ambiance sound. Some people here do not use the tweeters at all. All it is a matter of liking...happy listening,
Roberto.

My sincere apologies if my comment came across that way.

It truly did. Home audio is important to me, but it is still a luxury. That's why I asked for your input, since the investment means alot more to me than it might to others.

Thanks for the apology, accepted gratefully.

Search Martin Logan at Audiogon.com

Try doing a search at Audiogon.There is a pair of Requests listed for $1600 in Lexington,KY.I know that is a little above your budget,but they have been listed for quite a while.Hopefully he is willing to deal.Being so close will allow you to go see and hear before you buy.I personally would look for the older models.Be patient and eventually you will find a great deal.Good luck in your quest.I hope you find a great deal.

I hate to say this but if I had those speakers you speak of and someone low balled me on them I would tell them to kiss my butt. he is already throwing in a new pair of panels and has a really low price to begin with

Here's another thought, just get your hands on a pair of Purities and a 160GB ipod. It's way better than you might think, easy to set up and you can always use the Purities somewhere else (or sell em) when you get back on your feet where you want to be.

I know that deal. I lost my butt in 97. Sold my cars, all my hifi, etc etc. Never any fun. But after listening to those Purities for a couple months, they are pretty awesome and you won't have to have a lot of stuff around the house. Just go line out from an iPod and you can hold about 5-800 CD's in Apple lossless and control the volume with that.

Another option if you don't want to spend a ton of money might be a Rega Mira 3 integrated ($1100 - new) a nice used pair of Aerius' (probably about 850 used) and a Rega Apollo CD player (about $1000 new). Still about three grand, great system and easy to unload when you want to upgrade.

Im guessing 2-3k should put you in a musically satisfying system for now.

There's a lot of stuff for sale out there.

Best of luck going forward....

Wrong speakers Fishman!

I hate to say this but if I had those speakers you speak of and someone low balled me on them I would tell them to kiss my butt. he is already throwing in a new pair of panels and has a really low price to begin with
This is a completely differant pair of speakers that has been listed for 19 days.Please check to make sure your facts are correct before negative replies.Please remember that the guy is on a budget.Saving $200 or $300 may make the differance between buying or having to let them go.It seems like at times people forget that not everyone can spend thousands of dollars at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

I know the feeling but the price of old ML's (excepting the CLS model) is pretty low now. The newer models (lower priced ones) are eating into the demand of the older (particularly large) models. The bottom really seemed to fall out when the Summit was discontinued and we are now in a depression (oops recession), as well.

This is a completely differant pair of speakers that has been listed for 19 days.Please check to make sure your facts are correct before negative replies.Please remember that the guy is on a budget.Saving $200 or $300 may make the differance between buying or having to let them go.It seems like at times people forget that not everyone can spend thousands of dollars at the drop of a hat.
Excellent post.

Thank you for the support DTB300

I try to be respectfull with every post I make.It frustates me when people feel the need to reply with negativity.I am a factory worker with a wife and two children.I too am on a budget and look for the best possible deals.If people do not wish to go lower,please list firm and not or best offer.If you do not like the offer,a simple no thanks is the polite response.

I try to be respectful with every post I make.It frustrates me when people feel the need to reply with negativity.I am a factory worker with a wife and two children.I too am on a budget and look for the best possible deals.If people do not wish to go lower,please list firm and not or best offer.If you do not like the offer,a simple no thanks is the polite response.
We all get negative or perceived as negative by having to type instead of talking face to face - it is the nature of forum posting.

People low-balling will always occur in auctions and online selling. It too is the nature of the beast. Most people that sell online, generally post a price higher than what they are looking for. If not, then usually an addition to the text is "price is firm", "low-ballers will be ignored", etc.

When I am selling and people bid low or ask too little, I just ignore them - as you suggested. BTW, there are places in this world where it is rude if you do not haggle :)

Latest posts

Back