MartinLogan Prodigy clicking sound problem, need advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18000rpm

Reaction score
I have a pair of Prodigies which I just replaced with new panels. The speaker was not used for a few months while waiting for the new panels and after they were replaced it is making a clicking sound which you can see here:

It doesn't happen all the time, but often. It is also not related to the new panels as we switched panels between the speakers and the same speaker still clicks.

My local dealer (in Asia) recommended replacing the transformer after discussing with MartinLogan, which we did but the clicking did not stop (it seemed to be a little better than before though).

Here's other debugging I have done:

1. When it is clicking, it continues to click after unplugging the speaker cables. So it is not caused by my source or amp.
2. But if I unplug the power cable and leave the speaker cables connected the clicking stops and music plays fine and then fades out in a few minutes as it should. So it seems like the problem has to do with something power-related and not in the audio path.

My dealer suggests replacing the power supply next but I'd like to get some advice before I continue changing parts by trial and error ($$$). He also suggested switching the power supply between the two speakers and see if the problem follows the power supply (but he will charge for that as well).

I have searched the forums on the clicking problem and there were a few threads on it but no definitive solution.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have a pair of Prodigies which I just replaced with new panels. The speaker was not used for a few months while waiting for the new panels and after they were replaced it is making a clicking sound which you can see here:

It doesn't happen all the time, but often. It is also not related to the new panels as we switched panels between the speakers and the same speaker still clicks.

My local dealer (in Asia) recommended replacing the transformer after discussing with MartinLogan, which we did but the clicking did not stop (it seemed to be a little better than before though).

Here's other debugging I have done:

1. When it is clicking, it continues to click after unplugging the speaker cables. So it is not caused by my source or amp.
2. But if I unplug the power cable and leave the speaker cables connected the clicking stops and music plays fine and then fades out in a few minutes as it should. So it seems like the problem has to do with something power-related and not in the audio path.

My dealer suggests replacing the power supply next but I'd like to get some advice before I continue changing parts by trial and error ($$$). He also suggested switching the power supply between the two speakers and see if the problem follows the power supply (but he will charge for that as well).

I have searched the forums on the clicking problem and there were a few threads on it but no definitive solution.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Couple of stupid ideas. Did you exchange the power cords between the speakers? Did you flip where they were plugged in?

I'll try replacing the power cord.

I have tried switching audio inputs between left and right and even disconnecting the speaker cables to the speaker and the clicking remains.

If replacing power cord does not help, then you need to talk to ML and sending you instruction of dissemble power supply and swapping for test. ML are easy to dissemble assume you have proper instruction. Mine ReQuest had similar clicking sound (but it was many years ago), and both power supply was replaced under warranty even only one had the problem. Most likely ML able to help you trouble shoot over the phone, time to charge up your Skype credits. Best of luck.

Replaced the power cord, didn't fix the problem.

Looks like I need a power supply?

I've had that problem, maybe not as often repeated as shown in the video.

I would get occasional pops from my old ethos and also from my Renaissance 15a. I unplug them, let the panels completely discharge and them work a vacuum across the entire surface front and back. That usually does it.

My panels are brand new so it's not dust unfortunately. And I have vacuumed it which did not help.

Okay. Thanks for the replies guys. Will go ahead and replace the power supply. I really hope it's not something like bad capacitors or damaged circuit traces etc elsewhere in the circuitry.

Last edited:
I really hope it's not something like bad capacitors or damaged circuit traces etc elsewhere in the circuitry.

I think your troubleshooting narrows it down to a panel related issue, which leaves the high pass portion of the crossover - which is passive, or the power circuitry for energizing the panel. It seems like a very high probability. Can anyone think of anything else that I might be missing?

I think your troubleshooting narrows it down to a panel related issue, which leaves the high pass portion of the crossover - which is passive, or the power circuitry for energizing the panel. It seems like a very high probability. Can anyone think of anything else that I might be missing?

So - when he unplugged the panels the issue went away. So it seems power related?? Where is our friend from Costa Rica when we need him? :)

And u switched electrical outlets right? I just would hate it to be something that stupid before you go to the trouble.

One more thing. What made you switch to new panels. And do you still have the old panels? I just find it odd that you get new panels and all of a sudden the PS goes south on you. So as an example: let’s suppose you switched out panels because the volume in one was decreased. Could it have been electronics all along?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

The fact that when I unplug the power the panel sounds normal for minutes until it fades out leads me to think it is power related. Also sure it is not the panel itself as we switched panels and the problem stayed with the same speaker.

Also tried replacing power cords, power outlet, audio source etc. Problem always stayed with the same speaker.

I replaced the panels as the sound became VERY muddy. The new panels sound perfect apart from the clicking. Yes it is strange that they started clicking after replacing the panels which it never did before but I think it may be due to it being unused for a few months while waiting for the new panels.

My local dealer suggested swapping the power supply between the two speakers and see if the clicking follows the power supply. But I'd have to pay labor for that which is about 30% of the cost of replacing the power supply so I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the power supply and at least save that 30%.

Already replaced the transformer (not cheap) and that didn't fix the issue so I'd really hate to pay more money just to do trial-and-error.

Speaking of replacing panels, that really sucks. I live in Singapore which is hot and humid which isn't best for the panels. And I wasn't fully aware and wasn't taking care of them that well (never vacuumed them until now). I also have a pair of Summits and a pair of Aeon i, all of which need new panels. And now that ML has tripled the price of replacement panels...argh. The Summits still sound somewhat okay so I use them as my rears. I prefer the Prodigies to the Summits, the soundstage is bigger and they sound more natural to me. I have a Descent sub to help the Prodigies.

I know you indicated you vacuumed, but one final thing to try is to blow them using compressed air, as you might have some debris from packing materials stuck in between the panel and the stator.

When a bug crawls into one of my panels and gets fried, it will tick-tick for a bit, then goes away when the thing is sufficiently fried. But occaisionaly, it will continue until I suck (vacuum) or blow it out.

JonFo, that's good info I never considered about tiny insects wandering around between the stators!

In this case however, the ticking noise doesn't follow the panel. But again, great suggestion on why we not only vacuum, but also use hurricane force.

(your comment reminds me of Wayne's World when Wayne is describing the Suck-Cut hair cutting device: "It not only sucks, it blows!")

JonFo, that's good info I never considered about tiny insects wandering around between the stators!

In this case however, the ticking noise doesn't follow the panel. But again, great suggestion on why we not only vacuum, but also use hurricane force.

(your comment reminds me of Wayne's World when Wayne is describing the Suck-Cut hair cutting device: "It not only sucks, it blows!")

Ah dang, sorry, my bad should have read more closely that it is independent of the panel.

The Wayne's World reference made me laugh :)

It's not the panel because they are brand new and we also swapped them between the left and right speakers and the clicking stayed with the speaker and not the panel.

Speaking of replacing panels, that really sucks. I live in Singapore which is hot and humid which isn't best for the panels. And I wasn't fully aware and wasn't taking care of them that well (never vacuumed them until now). I also have a pair of Summits and a pair of Aeon i, all of which need new panels. And now that ML has tripled the price of replacement panels...argh. The Summits still sound somewhat okay so I use them as my rears. I prefer the Prodigies to the Summits, the soundstage is bigger and they sound more natural to me. I have a Descent sub to help the Prodigies.

Holy cow, you are able to have all these logans in your home and you live in SG? Same here in Taiwan as it gets pretty hot and humid, but with newer panels just vacuum regularly and with A/C and humidifier should last long time. BTW, check the classified section someone is selling power supply board.

I now use a dehumidifier and I'm vacuuming the panels monthly. Hope the new panels last longer now.

Thanks for the tip on the power supply in the classifieds section. Unfortunately that is 110v, I need 220/240v.

Last edited:
Back