Martin Logan Summit. Prodigy/Odyssey replacement. EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Roberto for the report!
smile.gif
I always believed that any ML speaker can reproduce the drums pretty well- the speed and immediate transient of each beat is captured quite faithfully. I always use certain selections from Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum" and Sheffield Lab's Drum and Track discs to evaluate my system from time to time. I am eager of course to hear the new "Summit" and as there are many questions regarding the design of the model which is still in the prototype stage, ML will answer them in due time. The company is taking a firm direction towards the future and as much as I like the design of the older models (I would still prefer them over the new one), the fact that ML is constantly seeking to improve and make changes is a good sign for all of us. Don't forget we have been living with the previous design for many years now (since the Sequels, not much changes have taken place). Bringing back a full range electrostatic speaker is what I am truly interested in, but I guess either Gayle or Rafael will have to address this when I interview them.

BTW, Roberto, I am glad you were able to see the Cirque de Soleil show at the Bellagio. When I was in Vegas, I did see their "Mystere" show at the Treasure Island. The tickets are a bit pricey (I don't gamble and have no special discounts) for a show that lasts about an hour and a half but there is no question that the music and production is first class. Did you get a chance to purchase the CD? The soundtrack for "O" is actually quite good- sounds great on MLs!

Zip,

I can't say exactly how wide the panel is on the Summit (didn't have a reference point to compare it with), but the ML rep did say the Summit's panel was slightly smaller than Ascent i in terms of surface area. ML was able to acheive a more detailed sounding panel by reducing the size of the holes in the panel of the Summit compared to the Prodigy/Ascent, and by increasing the amount of usable panel surface compared to those two models.

As far as the bass elements being powered subs, I don't know if this is correct or not?! Maybe someone else who caught a demo can clarify for us? I don't remember anyone stating that the Summits would contain powered or amplified subs.

The bass from the pair of Summits alone in terms of its sheer strength easily matched or exceeded that from most subs I've heard, including my own Descent. So maybe they were powered? Then again, each Summit was driven by what was probably a 400w Parasound monoblock amp, so each speaker had plenty of power to draw from! (Not that it was necessary as the rep stated the Summits would be 91db efficient!)

I did glance at the back of the Summits, and if I remember correctly there were crossover points for 25hz and 50hz. I did not think to ask the actual size of the woofer. 10" sounds about right to me, but 8" would not be out of the question either.

size of the panel...

Hola. The size of the panel of the new Summit is exactly as the Ascent i, but has the smaller holes like the Clarity. This panel gives about 17% of more air and sound from the panel. In other words, the panel is better than the Ascent i with the same size. When I went to Cirque du Soleil, - O - at the Bellagio, the drum played there was an incredible reference of what I heard at the ML room...very close to the real thing...

I understand the position of many of you. Many times, when we like a thing, we don't want it to change, because in our experience, when the change is done, many times is for worse...not in this case, my friends, there are with the new panel, more info than in the old one...I did spend over two hours there at the show with the ML's sales team...and what I heard there, was very good...many musical instruments in their demo records were played and my ears was like a spongue sucking all the info that I could possible get...voices, piano, guitar, violin, trumpet, cello, bass, drums, vives, timbales, congas, big drums, sax, latin percussion instruments like maracas, güiro, and cow bell were played...guitars, electric and classical, and to my ears, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my liking...and I think that if I don't like something, I will say it with no problem...all I can say is: the Summit will be a winner!
Please ML, make them black and think in other variations of the model, like pasive low freq. drivers...just a suggestion!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hello Roberto

Did you get you see how the speakers are powered? IEC removable power cord, or Martin Logan’s external low voltage transformer?

With the woofer being internally amplified I could see Martin Logan using an IEC to power the Amp and the Clarity’s low voltage set up to power the panels. Also does the Summit use a single or dual driver setup?

Thank you for your comments Roberto, I am another person you can add to the list of people that did not like the new look at first but it is growing on me. The more reviews we get about the Summit from CES ’05 the more I can’t wait to see and hear them in person. :rolleyes:

roberto said:
Hola. The size of the panel of the new Summit is exactly as the Ascent i, but has the smaller holes like the Clarity. This panel gives about 17% of more air and sound from the panel. In other words, the panel is better than the Ascent i with the same size. When I went to Cirque du Soleil, - O - at the Bellagio, the drum played there was an incredible reference of what I heard at the ML room...very close to the real thing...

I understand the position of many of you. Many times, when we like a thing, we don't want it to change, because in our experience, when the change is done, many times is for worse...not in this case, my friends, there are with the new panel, more info than in the old one...I did spend over two hours there at the show with the ML's sales team...and what I heard there, was very good...many musical instruments in their demo records were played and my ears was like a spongue sucking all the info that I could possible get...voices, piano, guitar, violin, trumpet, cello, bass, drums, vives, timbales, congas, big drums, sax, latin percussion instruments like maracas, güiro, and cow bell were played...guitars, electric and classical, and to my ears, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my liking...and I think that if I don't like something, I will say it with no problem...all I can say is: the Summit will be a winner!
Please ML, make them black and think in other variations of the model, like pasive low freq. drivers...just a suggestion!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola Roberto!!

Thanks for the great review!

You really do like these new MLs dont you :) But how would you compare them to the CLS you own (not sure which version you have)? I ask because, correct me if I am wrong, the CLS are your favorite.

I am sure these have more bass than the CLS, but is the bass as acurate?

Do you think you will be upgrading any time soon? ;)

Summit vs CLS IIz

Hola muchachos...let me put it this way...the Summit is better than the CLS IIz because the ML team has re-design all the electronics and the panels for a better product. 1) the Summit panel is free from any box behind, like the CLS, but new tech. With the small holes that gives about 17% of more sound...2) to my ears, I liked this product better than my CLS. Why? 3) It is more dynamic in little details as example, the fingering on the board in a classical guitar...I do understand better what the musician is doing. You have a bass control at 50 Hz and 25Hz also...so you can adjust the bass better for your liking and to your room's standing waves...and it is a clean bass, better than the Prodigies...You can bi-wired them also. You don't feel that you are listening a smaller panel than the CLS...they are just what you need, the transparentcy, the sound preasure level, it is just enough from this new panel...the sound is great...and other thing that I did like, was the woofer's cabinet...small but does not vibrate at all, so you get a very clean bass...guys, this is really a Super Hi-End Product!!!...I just hope too, that there will be a smaller version of this product...
Happy listening,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola muchachos...let me put it this way...the Summit is better than the CLS IIz because the ML team has re-design all the electronics and the panels for a better product. 1) the Summit panel is free from any box behind, like the CLS, but new tech. With the small holes that gives about 17% of more sound...2) to my ears, I liked this product better than my CLS. Why? 3) It is more dynamic in little details as example, the fingering on the board in a classical guitar...I do understand better what the musician is doing. You have a bass control at 50 Hz and 25Hz also...so you can adjust the bass better for your liking and to your room's standing waves...and it is a clean bass, better than the Prodigies...You can bi-wired them also. You don't feel that you are listening a smaller panel than the CLS...they are just what you need, the transparentcy, the sound preasure level, it is just enough from this new panel...the sound is great...and other thing that I did like, was the woofer's cabinet...small but does not vibrate at all, so you get a very clean bass...guys, this is really a Super Hi-End Product!!!...I just hope too, that there will be a smaller version of this product...
Happy listening,
Roberto.

If the woofer section is powered how can it be bi-wired? Thanks for your posts,can't wait till my audio store in Austin receives them.

Summit bi-wired

Hola...why do you bi-wired? Because a rejected signal from the crossover? (Doppler theorem)... Or better signal transmition? or better bass with one cable and better mids and highs with other cable?...all I know is that at the show they were using be-wired connection from a two Parasound monoblocks...
Happy listening,
Roberto.

I'm anxious to hear to hear these new MLs and I'm confident that ML has made a significant improvement in sound and performance. I can also see how the design opens up more of the panel area. I would pay more for ML that is efficient since I could offset with lower powered amp.

However, after seeing just one photo I do think think that they could have done a better job with the cabinetry and take a lesson from Sonus Faber and round off those sharp angular corners. Sonus does beautiful wood work and they put forth a lot of effort into the cabinet build quality and it shows. The cabinet's performance is a major contributing component of the overall performance of the speaker. If you tap on the side of a Sonus Faber you hear a dead thud. If you tap on the side of ML Ascent for example you more of a hollow sound.

My point is; enhanced/refined cabinety work on the speaker would likely improve the speakers sound as well as the appearance. Of course, improved cabinetry work would add to the overall price but it might be worth it for a more attractive speaker sitting in my living/listening room.

I fell in love with MLs the first time I heard a pair of Aerius in 1992, when I was looking to upgrade from my Rogers LS35As. I have since upgraded to a pair of Ascent-i's, and every time I see them in my living room my heart leaps with joy at how much enjoyment they bring me. However, from a purely aesthetic point of view, MLs were, are, and apparently will continue to be among the least attractive speakers I have seen. Luckily, they at least look functional enough that no one could mistake them for furniture. So, it doesn't really matter to me what the new version looks like. If they sound even better than my Ascents, chances are my next speakers will be MLs, whatever they look like.

If the ESL panel is smaller then the Ascent i then I would rather buy another pair of Ascent i and save a pile of money.

Kevin?

It figures you wouldn't make your decision based on sound quality. Let me guess you have science on your side?

It figures you wouldn't make your decision based on sound quality. Let me guess you have science on your side?

Panel size has a huge factor in the performance of an electrostatic speaker. So why would ML make a smaller panel for a new product and charge more for it?

Kevin said:
Panel size has a huge factor in the performance of an electrostatic speaker. So why would ML make a smaller panel for a new product and charge more for it?

Because they have improved efficiency of the panel and upgraded the useable size by 17% by using microperf? And why should a bigger panel ALWAYS sound better???

Summit panel size...

Hola...I think that my English if too bad sometimes and I can't say right what I want in a better way. But I read what I wrote were I said that the panel is as big, as the Ascent i panel, same size, NOT SMALLER!! What the Summit panel has smaller are the holes. With this kind of patern and the vacuum way to produce the film between the stators, it has about 17% better efficiency than the old technology...and really the sound is big...you don't need more panel here.
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
I like the way the Summit looks. Much better, to my eyes, than the Prodigy. A minority opinion, I know, but eyes of the beholder and so on...

But the bottom line: pretty is as pretty does. It's how it sounds, and am looking forward to hearing them.

Nothing Big, but on the Secrets of home theater and high fidelity website’s coverage of CES ’05 they had some info about the new summit with the same picture that was released to the Club.

Martin Logan shows the “Protégé” replacement speaker, the “Summit”, nicely crafted with an extruded aluminum “Ultra-Rigid” frame and a substantially reduced base module clad in beautiful wood veneers. The electrostatic speakers priced about $10,000.00.

End Quote

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/show-report-ces-2005-page-3.html

Very interesting read on the "it's coming" link. I'm a bit surprised that ML hasn't made any announcements about the Stage and E2x speakers at the ces last week. Does anyone know what their release schedule looks like on their new products?

My Two Cents

I don't want to be left out, nor do I want to be repeditive. They "the Summits" are growing on me, however my tastes are very modern. I ask everyone, would you buy this product if it doesn't "really fit" your room/ decor/ WAF/?/ whatever you want to call it. We have to trust ML that the sound will be there, but do you think some will be turned away by the aesthetics, and it will be too much for some?
Regards to All !
Wayne

Back