Martin Logan Spire / Summit vs Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jordan,

I wasn't aware of the Spires replacement, I guess I can wait a bit longer.

Yes.....and that should make any remaining Spire's in stock that much more of a bargin !!

Vantage to Spire

Hello all. I have been a ML owner for 15years and decided to join this discussion!
I have owned Vantage past 12months I absolutely loved it.
I worked hard to upgrade just once more to complete my HT system.
IMHO, Spire is the best bang for the buck in ML line. Spires sound another notch more detailed and the bass is absolutely incredible!

I've read numerous discussion threads and professional reviews. Most agree that original Summits have better bass but Spires have overall sound quality than Summits due to better quality crossovers.

I was also torn between the two, to upgrade my Vantages. I chose Spires. I am so happy that I've made this decision. I am in absolutely in love with the Spires. Spires sound so amazing!

Yes.....and that should make any remaining Spire's in stock that much more of a bargin !!

I agree, along with the announcement they did mention that the replacement will be in the sub-10K price range. The did say that they are putting that DSP engine from the Ethos into the new Spire. That DSP engine will be making its way into all new iterations from ML, and if you haven't had a chance to hear the Ethos I highly suggest everyone do so. It was a very impressive speaker and I am excited to see what ML will do with it in the future.

While I have no experience with the DSP engine, I have a hard time accepting introducing a computer chip into the stream. Does this new engine negate the quality and tonality from the front end gear? I won't rule it out till I hear it, but the thought concerns me.

Gordon

While I have no experience with the DSP engine, I have a hard time accepting introducing a computer chip into the stream. Does this new engine negate the quality and tonality from the front end gear? I won't rule it out till I hear it, but the thought concerns me.

Gordon

The DSP chip filters and equalizes incoming bass frequencies. It prevents amplifier clipping and monitors the excursion of the woofer, which directly relates to the quantity and quality of bass.

In short, the DSP chip monitors the bass frequencies and assures the most accurate movement of the woofer, giving the speaker the cleanest and most accurate bass possible!

I can attest! I mean I am planning to make a trip to give the Ethos a little more attention because at the time when I first was introduced to the Ethos I was really captivated by the Summit X/Descent i combo and didn't listen to the Ethos as much as I should have, but I will say that I did notice that the bass seemed tighter all over.

Back