Martin Logan Spire / Summit vs Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mx1

Reaction score
Hi! Fellows,

Newbee posting, long time reader/follower. Seeking advice/help from the experts. I currently own a set Vantages, however I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months (july latest).

I have always dreamed of owning a pair of Summits or Spire which at that time where out of reach, therefore opted for the Vantages. Now that I will be able to upgrade (used) can someone point me in the right direction as to wich pair to go with and why? Will I hear a major difference in sound quality going from the vantages to the Summits and or Spire? I will be doing 60% HT / 40% Music.

Sorry one more, Stage or Theater i for center?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice and time!

I went from the Vantages to the Summits. There is a big difference. Some perfer the Spires. I would say you can go either way. The base is deeper on the summits. The spires are newer techology with the crossovers. The summits require more power than the vantages to bring the most out of them. I went from 200wpc to 400wpc Solid State, and there was a big improvment. 200wpc works okey though, providing they are quality amps. Just my opinion

I had the Spire and really like them a bunch. Much better then My Vantage.
I only got rid of them to get the CLX. I found the bass to be very good but I never heard the Summit

Hi MX,

Summits with Pass Labs amps works just fine.

Lots of threads on Summits versus Spires. Use the search feature and get comfortable.

Good luck.

GG

Thanks so much Guys,

I take it that the advantage on the summits and spire at this point is the lower end right? Powering either the Spires' of Summits shouldn't be an issue. @ the moment I'm running a pair of Emotivas XPA-1's monoblocks (500 wpc into 4 and 1000wpc into 8).

Gordon, i will def. search the forum.

Again Thank you for your inputs.

Thanks so much Guys,

I take it that the advantage on the summits and spire at this point is the lower end right? Powering either the Spires' of Summits shouldn't be an issue. @ the moment I'm running a pair of Emotivas XPA-1's monoblocks (500 wpc into 4 and 1000wpc into 8).

Gordon, i will def. search the forum.

Again Thank you for your inputs.

Larger panels also.

Hello,
I have absolutely loved my Vantages and have owned them since they were released. While the Summit and Spire have larger Panels, the difference in size is not that vast. For instance, the Spire is 2 Inches Taller and 2 Inches Wider with part of the Width difference being the Spire using a 10 Inch Woofer compared to the Vantages 8 Inch Woofer.

Hopefully there is a Dealer where you can Audition all of the Speakers. I decided to get Vantages as I wanted to use Vistas for Surrounds and the Stage for Center Channel. As I purchased all of these Speakers at an Authorized Dealer, it was not a cheap proposition.

All I can say is combined with the Depth Subwoofer that this is by far the best HT Speaker array I have ever owned. I listen to a great deal of 2 Channel Music and could not be happier with the Vantages.

I realize that many have upgraded from the Vantage to the Spire, Summit, and CLX and could not be happier with their purchase. However, I just do not feel the need to upgrade the Vantages and have spent a good deal of time listening to the entire ESL and Reserve ESL Lineup.
Cheers,
JJ

Go for the best you are willing to pay for. That way you have no regrets and no "what if's".

:D

Thanks to all!

I guess at this point I will set up an appoint. with Magnolia and give a listen to both. :music:

My room is 12X22. I had the Vantage and upgraded to the Spire for the bass response and the "upgraded" crossover. If I had the room, I'd have gone for the CLX. As it is now, the Spire is hemmed in by my room and the Summit or X would have been just as strangled as the Spire. So where is the improvement? The Spire has a smoother mid-range and the sealed box gives a bass extension I missed with the Vantage.

I honestly could have kept the Vantage based on my room size but the bass and mids on the Spire were too much to pass on.

Gordon

My room is 12X22. I had the Vantage and upgraded to the Spire for the bass response and the "upgraded" crossover. If I had the room, I'd have gone for the CLX. As it is now, the Spire is hemmed in by my room and the Summit or X would have been just as strangled as the Spire. So where is the improvement? The Spire has a smoother mid-range and the sealed box gives a bass extension I missed with the Vantage.

I honestly could have kept the Vantage based on my room size but the bass and mids on the Spire were too much to pass on.

Gordon

Agreed 100X100%. Here is where we say, effortless music?, lower bass, upperbass, lower mids, half mids, highmids, lower highs, ...etc... the overall music is played with right quality of dymics, and very good overall frequency response. The right size and air between instruments, the soul of the musicians playing for you is more evident. The cymbals are breathtaking, and how easy is to listen a piano. You understand very easy the left hand and the right hand. Microdynamic is the clue here...I am not saying that with the Vantages (best selling ML product here in Costa Rica) you are not giving all these...yes you are, but restricted. With the Vantages you get the wonderfull sound of ML. But these guys, the Spire and the Summts I, will play this magic more palpable, more there...at the event! This is my personal opinion and not necessary make that all ML users think the same...happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Roberto, I wish I could convey my impressions of the Spire the way you do! If English is not your native tongue, then I shall have to speak to the good Sisters at St. Isadore Elementary and remind them they were a bit lacking!:D

The Vantage is not a bad speaker in any sense of the word in my opinion. It was a fine, enjoyable speaker that had not the Spire been introduced, I may still have it. The Summit was going through the X transformation at the time and to me, the Spire along with the JL subs was the right combination for me. I still think the JL's along with the CLX would be a killer combination if I only had the room. (My apologies to Necro):D

Gordon

had not the Spire been introduced, I may still have it. The Summit was going through the X transformation at the time and to me, the Spire along with the JL subs was the right combination for me. I still think the JL's along with the CLX would be a killer combination if I only had the room. (My apologies to Necro):D

Gordon

I concur 100% Gordon, in my case I had my Velodyne DD-15, so the Spire's made perfect sense over the Summitt's, the $$ difference alowed me to buy a new cartridge !

Great fellows,

Thanks for the extra info. Which ever way I go (summit or Spires) they will be accomp. by a set of sub's.

Hello,
Well whatever you do, I would keep the Vantages and use them for Surrounds. I am using Vistas for Surrounds with Vantages as Mains, Stage Center Channel and a Descent i and Depth Subwoofer for a 5.2 HT.

Using ESL's for Surrounds really is amazing. Especially with SACD and DVD-A, but also Movies sound wonderful with this setup.

I also own a pair of Montages that I have sometimes used as Surrounds, but there is simply no comparison. Not to mention if you purchased your Vantages new like I did, they are not selling for nearly as much as I would have expected in the Used Market. Sadly, the same can be said of all the newer ML's. Speakers like the Prodigy and Odyssey are both older and holding on to more of their value.

Some say you should not be concerned with Resale Value, but it does help to offset upgrading to new Speakers. Strangely, the Subwoofers have held on to more of their value than the Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

Thanks JJ,

Using the Vantages for sorrounds would be ideal, but I need to offset some money if I want to get the Spires'.

Well looking at the date of this thread and the posts this point shouldn't be moot haha, but what about the Ethos? It has that new DSP engine which a few months ago I was at a Magnolia listening to the Summit x, Spire, and Ethos. I really loved all three speakers, and had so much fun that day just "playing" with all three stats.

Also, I just remembered that there will be a replacement for the Spire soon. The unofficial name is the Summit XJR, and that is not the final name that is just the test name, but ML showed it at CES this year. Maybe if you're interested and not in a hurry the new Spire is supposed to be out some time this summer.

Thanks Jordan,

I wasn't aware of the Spires replacement, I guess I can wait a bit longer.

Back