Martin Logan Purity vs Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvinz

Reaction score
Martin Logan Purity vs Vista vx. CLS IIZ?

Bit of a dilemma it seems the Vista and Purity are priced rather close together.

Clearly if I bought the Vista I could only afford a cheap amplifier <$500.

Should I just go for the purities since they come with a built in amplifier?

Are either of these speakers on par with the older ML Quest? A relative of mine owns this set and I really enjoy his system.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
go vista!

I would always go for the better speaker over an amp upgrade dollar for dollar you will see more for your money unless you start talking about a different class of speakers. the vistas have a bigger panel and sound better period!
I had the vistas and a yamaha reciever and they sounded great!

Last edited:
It all depends on how much you like good sound

The Vista, I believe, will sound much better. However, it will take more money to make your system sound great and bring everything out of it. There are better amps, preamps, sources, etc., to get. If you are willing to invest both $ and emotional energy in this hobby, go with the Vista's. Otherwise get the Purity and be happy.

I like the Purities and I think they're a neat little speaker and a great way to introduce people to ESLs, but I don't think they compare even close to the Vistas for sound. They're not as close in price when you consider the need for an amp, either. With a $500 budget you might not get the best out of the Vistas, though. A used Carver or B&K, maybe a Sunfire if you can find one that cheap, IMO is about as well as you'll be able to do. I agree with others' advice that you'll get more out of the better speaker and Ramen noodles will help pay for the amp. :)

don't let these guys scare you away from the vistas they will not need crazy amps to sound great of course better equipment will make them sound better but I think in the long run you will be more happy with the vistas the are just a better class of speaker.

I've never heard the Vistas, so I'm not going to compare the sound or say that the Vistas don't sound better. However, if you want Purities, I wouldn't let people scare you away. Amplifiers are fairly large, can require a bit of additional ventilation, introduce additional wires into the picture, etc. Any of these things might be problematic for a given user, and I think the Purities sound fantastic.

new factor in the equation what about some Martin Logan CLS IIz?

Better than the Vista?

Most here will say the CLS IIz is better than the Vista (some will it's way better), but there are a lot of other factors. Aside from the obvious, that the CLS is a lot bigger than the Vista, my understanding is it also takes better equipment (amplifier etc) to get the most out of it. Also, if the panels have never been replaced on a specific unit, it's possible that they need to be replaced, and likely that they will at some point need to be replaced.

Most here will say the CLS IIz is better than the Vista (some will it's way better), but there are a lot of other factors. Aside from the obvious, that the CLS is a lot bigger than the Vista, my understanding is it also takes better equipment (amplifier etc) to get the most out of it. Also, if the panels have never been replaced on a specific unit, it's possible that they need to be replaced, and likely that they will at some point need to be replaced.

how much would a decent amp for the CLS IIZ cos and new panels?

kelvinz,

Panel run about $900.00.

For considering an amp you need something of quality which will provide enough current to drive them. The CLS is a harder load than the newer technology. Now you do not need tons of watts but an amp with the ability to drive a 2 ohm load on occasion. I would think if you were to choose, I would pick something of a known brand.

I am running mine with 70 watts!

Jeff:cool:

I'm wondering if trading in my vistas for a pair of Purity would be a bad idea?
I'm looking into having them fed with a dCS P8i, Wadia 581 or Meridian 808 ref. What i'm after is a simple, one box killer set up.

Any ideas?

There don't seem to be a lot of people around here with the Purity, probably because there is less room for tweaking (no amp, fewer cables, etc) and people here love tweaking, and already have a bunch of gear to use with their speakers. Still, while the Vistas are better than the Purities, the Purities are perfectly respectable speakers!

that's a mistake

I'm wondering if trading in my vistas for a pair of Purity would be a bad idea?
I'm looking into having them fed with a dCS P8i, Wadia 581 or Meridian 808 ref. What i'm after is a simple, one box killer set up.

Any ideas?
purity's are not at all the same speaker in my opinion
there is no simple and killer one box setup that I have seen.

how much would a decent amp for the CLS IIZ cos and new panels?

Ditto what "Jeff Z" said, as far as Vista vs CLSIIz's, two completly different animals. IMO, from what I have heard and seen with members here CLS's in general required more attention to amp selection to get the most out of them.

Also, IMO, there is enough knowledgeable folk on this site to help with that selection should you choose to go that route.

Back